CCW taking parts of a gun in a restaurant

Glock513

Is this illegal?

I walk to a an Ohio restaurant which sells alcoholic drinks with a friend who does not have a CCW. Just before entering the restaurant I take my gun, unload it and remove the magazine and hand the mag to my friend. Then I break down my receiver from the gun and hand it to my friend. We put the parts in our pockets then go inside the restaurant. My friend has a drink or two and I do not. When we leave the restaurant we stop and he gives me the parts and mag and I re-assemble it, chamber one and place it back in my holster. If no one sees me brandishing the weapon am I breaking any CCW laws?

Thanks for pointing out how nice it is to live in a state without such stupid laws:
Even California doesn't require CCW holders to jump through hoops like yours...

Wouldn't it be easier to have your friend brown-bag it in the parking lot while you guys visit?:wacko:

If it's a restaurant that serves drinks I just carry. I don't drink. If it's a bar that serves food I don't carry. I often don't even bother to go actually.

In Mi that is the most important distinguishing factor Bar + food or Restaurant + Drinks.

I bolted a small single gun safe into my truck that I can fit one handgun into though for those times that I do go.

Seems like breaking it down is just too much hassle. And I'd bet a LEO would probably hassle you because your gun is still accessible. granted it would take you a few extra seconds to put it back together but you (could) do it. :to_pick_ones_nose:

Under federal law as with most states, the stripped receiver would be considered a "firearm". Simply having the stripped receiver could be construed as having a fully assembled firearm. I'd check the local statutes as well as consult a competent attorney who knows the laws in your area.

gf

But your Actual question is........"If no one sees me brandishing the weapon am I breaking any CCW laws"? Are you asking, is the state of Ohio a Concealed or Open Carry state?

Under federal law as with most states, the stripped receiver would be considered a "firearm". Simply having the stripped receiver could be construed as having a fully assembled firearm. I'd check the local statutes as well as consult a competent attorney who knows the laws in your area.

gf

glockfan is correct, the serial number is always on the receiver because ATF, et al. consider this to be the "gun".
It seems to me that giving the "receiver"(gun) to your un-CCW friend is the clear violation.

You're jumping through imaginary hoops or "testing" the system.

I agree with confess, it is better to lock it in the vehicle. Particularly if you live in Ohio, you should be accustomed to and adapted to the requirements.

From the sounds of it you went through a lot of trouble to carry your firearm, well parts of it.

Here in Az they recently pass a bill allowing CCW carriers to enter all bars and resturants that do not post "no weapons allowed" signs as long as you are not drinking. They talked about having to leave our firearms in our cars unsecure in case of break-ins. Plus what do you do if something happens while you are in the resturant/bar.

Others have already said something similar but it just seems you are "playing the system" and better be sure you know all the ins and outs of the Ohio CC laws. Outside of a car breakin, which I assume is your reason for going thru this (and is it so bad where you live), why bother.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back