ccw renewal

Scarecrow

ok I just have a curious question for anyone who can give an answer. so here is where I am. I have a resident ccw for utah that I got when I lived there. I recently moved back to michigan. my ccw expires in may of this year. does anyone know if it is even possible to renew the utah permit as a non-resident permit? just curious if it's possible until I have the money to drop on my michigan resident license.
thanks in advance

Scarecrow, once you become a Mi resident your Utah CCW is no longer valid. Once you establish Mi. residency you will have to wait 6 months before you can apply for a Mi. CPL. I think you have 90 days to get Mi. drivers license and plates at which point your Utah CCW is no longer valid.

Scarecrow, once you become a Mi resident your Utah CCW is no longer valid. Once you establish Mi. residency you will have to wait 6 months before you can apply for a Mi. CPL. I think you have 90 days to get Mi. drivers license and plates at which point your Utah CCW is no longer valid.

Interesting statement. I am a Nevada resident with both Nevada and Utah permits. I took the class in Nevada and mailed the application to Utah along with payment.

Go to: Link Removed and get information straight from the source.:rolleyes:

I emailed the utah permit renewal people.. hopefully they will respond.. still if there is anyone who knows. I thought we had some utah ccw instructors on the site. was hoping one could shed some light.

Seems to me that if you were to find a Utah Inst. in your current area, I don't see why you could not renew as a non res by using your current MI address..the bci web site might shed some light on this and may be quicker than waiting for a reply

Interesting statement. I am a Nevada resident with both Nevada and Utah permits. I took the class in Nevada and mailed the application to Utah along with payment.

But he is going to reside in Michigan, we have different laws than Utah or Neveda, here they are or at least those that should answer the questions:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/firearms.pdf

You can still renew your Utah permit, but beware that once you establish residency in Michigan, the only permit you'll be able to carry on there is a Michigan permit. Michigan does not recognize nonresident permits from any state. The Utah permit will stilll be valid in Utah and reciprocal states, but not within Michigan's borders.

But he is going to reside in Michigan, we have different laws than Utah or Neveda, here they are or at least those that should answer the questions:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/firearms.pdf

45/70, I went to your link and saw on page 193 that a Michigan resident may not carry within the state except on a Michigan permit. I believe that's pretty common among states; it is certainly the case here that a Nevada resident must have a Nevada permit to carry in Nevada. I took your remark to mean that becoming a Michigan resident would nullify his Utah permit. That's what got my attention: "once you become a Mi resident your Utah CCW is no longer valid." What I meant was not clear and was well stated by:

You can still renew your Utah permit, but beware that once you establish residency in Michigan, the only permit you'll be able to carry on there is a Michigan permit. Michigan does not recognize nonresident permits from any state. The Utah permit will stilll be valid in Utah and reciprocal states, but not within Michigan's borders.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding on my part.

yeah I figured this would be the case unfortunately. thanks for the information though everyone who answered. just wasn't 100% sure myself so figured I would ask.

Non-resident UT CFP summary...

Your UT CFP is invalid in MI or any other State that does not accept non-resident CCWs the moment you cease to be a UT resident. In your case, you need to get a MI CPL the moment you become a MI resident as evidenced by possessing a MI DL and having your personally owned vehicles registered in MI. You can and I encourage you to renew your UT CFP as a non-resident UT CFP and have it for traveling purposes. It's inexpensive to maintain and one of the preferred CCWs; resident or non-resident. Be sure to notify UT BCI of your change of address. I also encourage you to mail off your UT renewal a little before the 60 days prior to expiration. One of the reasons I get so much business as a traveling CCW instructor is because I teach the UT class.

There is no grace period in MI. The only States that have a grace period that have a resident CCW requirement are CO (90 days), FL (90 days), NV (60 days) and TN (180 days). You also need to be a MI resident for six months prior to applying for a MI CPL. The lack of grace period and six month residency requirements are two reasons I would not entertain moving there.

Not all States have a requirement that residents must have their respective CCW; IIRC, the list of States that require their residents have their respective CCW are AL, AR (administrative requirement by AR State Police, no statutory requirement), AZ, CO, DE, FL, GA, IN, KS, MI, NH, NV, SC, SD, TN, WA and WV; less than half of the States with recognition or reciprocity. In all other States with recognition or reciprocity, residents can legally carry on a non-resident CCW. It's not a bad practice to have back up CCWs in case yours accidentally lapses or is lost. This is something to keep in mind when considering relocation if legal CCW is a high priority for you.

Your UT CFP is invalid in MI or any other State that does not accept non-resident CCWs the moment you cease to be a UT resident. In your case, you need to get a MI CPL the moment you become a MI resident as evidenced by possessing a MI DL and having your personally owned vehicles registered in MI. You can and I encourage you to renew your UT CFP as a non-resident UT CFP and have it for traveling purposes. It's inexpensive to maintain and one of the preferred CCWs; resident or non-resident. Be sure to notify UT BCI of your change of address. I also encourage you to mail off your UT renewal a little before the 60 days prior to expiration. One of the reasons I get so much business as a traveling CCW instructor is because I teach the UT class.

There is no grace period in MI. The only States that have a grace period that have a resident CCW requirement are CO (90 days), FL (90 days), NV (60 days) and TN (180 days). You also need to be a MI resident for six months prior to applying for a MI CPL. The lack of grace period and six month residency requirements are two reasons I would not entertain moving there.

Not all States have a requirement that residents must have their respective CCW; IIRC, the list of States that require their residents have their respective CCW are AL, AR (administrative requirement by AR State Police, no statutory requirement), AZ, CO, DE, FL, GA, IN, KS, MI, NH, NV, SC, SD, TN, WA and WV; less than half of the States with recognition or reciprocity. In all other States with recognition or reciprocity, residents can legally carry on a non-resident CCW. It's not a bad practice to have back up CCWs in case yours accidentally lapses or is lost. This is something to keep in mind when considering relocation if legal CCW is a high priority for you.

thanks a lot for the info. I already have my replacement form for a non-resident utah permit. only 10 bucks for renewal, plus the utah permit allows me to carry in nevada which the michigan permit does not... was just playing with the permit maps:). so yes you are right. definately a good idea to keep it current and can't beat the price!

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back