CCW renewal in Caldwell county

cityjack

Evening all,

I have one more year on my CCW issued from Caldwell county. On the application it is saying I need to bring my DD214 if I am active or retired vet. I was discharged 35 years ago with an OTH. they never asked for the DD214 when they first gave it to me. Why now? Also, do I need to retake the safety course? Do I need the safety course certificate?

Thank you much.

Sid

NC law states you can apply for renewal 180 days before your CHP expires.

Surprised you didn't have to provide it on your original application. The reason is that a dishonorable will make your ineligible for a CHP, and the DD214 shows your discharge status.

Renewal was much simpler, completed the paperwork online and setup an appointment. Wasn't at the sheriff's office over 15 minutes to complete.

Spoke to the Sheriff this morning. For renewal, he requires my NC drivers license and 75 dollars with an appointment. He still has all my info including original safety course cert and app. on file. No DD214 required.

Good to know. I mean if they've given me a couple weapon purchase permits and a CCW before, why would it change now for a renewal.

Have a good weekend.

Spoke to the Sheriff this morning. For renewal, he requires my NC drivers license and 75 dollars with an appointment. He still has all my info including original safety course cert and app. on file. No DD214 required.

Good to know. I mean if they've given me a couple weapon purchase permits and a CCW before, why would it change now for a renewal.

Have a good weekend.

Thanks for letting us know what the Sheriff said. I was about to start researching this when I saw the initial thread email come through.

Evening all,

Well, I just got denied on my renewal for an OTH discharge, which was NOT an issue when they gave me the CCW 5 years ago. I'm okay with it. I did the stupid thing when I was 20 yrs old 36 years ago. I accept that. My original permit expires mid November, but I will surrender it tomorrow to the sheriff.

My questions are these and I've read that statute here;

Can I still open carry here in NC?
Do I have open carry reciprocity in the same states I had with CCW?
Can I still purchase handguns in NC or because of the OTH its a NO now? I do not remember the questions on the purchase form.
Can I still own the ones I have?
Can I still compete in IDPA? I know IDPA is all about conceal.

Thanks all for any light you can shed.

cityjack

My questions are these and I've read that statute here;

Can I still open carry here in NC?
Do I have open carry reciprocity in the same states I had with CCW?
Can I still purchase handguns in NC or because of the OTH its a NO now? I do not remember the questions on the purchase form.
Can I still own the ones I have?
Can I still compete in IDPA? I know IDPA is all about conceal.
As long as you can legally own a gun, you can open carry in NC.

There is no open carry reciprocity, you can still open carry in states that have permit-less OC or constitutional carry. Some states have no open carry (SC), some require permit (TN, GA)

Don't know if an OTH discharge is a deal breaker for a pistol purchase permit. PPP's are receiving more scrutiny in recent years and to purchase a handgun you will need a PPP (Pistol Purchase Permit) from the same sheriff that denied your renewal... that would be a question for the sheriff.

Don't think and OTH discharge would owning firearms.

Check with the organizers of the event.

Odd that they would have missed the OTH as I had to submit my DD214 years ago for my first CHP, but not on renewal applications, and the law is clear that you must have an honorable to get a CHP.

Is there a way I can lobby the sheriff to have him reconsider the denial you think?
Can I get a non-residentt ccw in VA and carry concealed here?

Thanks again

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back