CCW Person-How Ready Are You To Take Action

Hey Rocketgeezer, Just punch out. Apparently you haven't been reading and comprehending. There are plenty off LEO/ Military as well as others on this site alone that have been in bad situations and acted heroically. Maybe you don't know what you'll do and thats OK. But, don't speak for us and don't assume. SGT Rock, your dead on, thanks. And for everyone else out there that knows it all, leave these threads. I for one enjoy hearing about this stuff as well as discussing it. Military and LEO think alike and share the same likes and dislikes. It is what it is. At least we don't put people down to get out our points. (retired MSG, U.S. Infantry)

Glad your so sure of yourself, and I was not speaking of LEOs or ex Military, just normal everyday guys or ladies, and who exactly was I putting down ? what I ment was anybody can sit at there computer and say what they would do in a tense situation, but I still say if your strait with yourself you do not know what you would do untill you were put in the situation, whatever it may be,

Hey Rocketgeezer, Just punch out. Apparently you haven't been reading and comprehending. There are plenty off LEO/ Military as well as others on this site alone that have been in bad situations and acted heroically. Maybe you don't know what you'll do and thats OK. But, don't speak for us and don't assume. SGT Rock, your dead on, thanks. And for everyone else out there that knows it all, leave these threads. I for one enjoy hearing about this stuff as well as discussing it. Military and LEO think alike and share the same likes and dislikes. It is what it is. At least we don't put people down to get out our points. (retired MSG, U.S. Infantry)

Why should those who have a different viewpoint leave these threads? Who died and made you the king pumba? Does he not have a right to his first amendment rights? Becasue he says something you don't like? Or has a different view point then yours? For someone who took a oath to "Defend and uphold the constitution of the United States." You seem awful fast to try and shut people up who use those rights you defended!

He hit the nail on the head, ninety percent of people (LEO and Military included) have no idea what they will do or how they will react. Sure they train more then the rest of us do. But that doesn't mean crap when the metal meets the meat! Many a man and woman have done a about-face and ran the other way when faced with life or death.

So to say that simply becasue someone is in the military or a police officer that they will charge in like rambo is FALSE! They still have to overcome their bodys natural FFF(Fight, Flight or Freeze) response to danger.

This idea of "Leave the firearm at home" if we are not willing to intervene in every single conflict we see is CRAP. Even in the world of Concealed Carry we still seem to have those who feel they are among the elite. Becasue they would do this or that when others would not.

We are all equal! We all carry for the same reason "Self presavation!" Can we all just get along and stop looking down at each other?

Yes, I am prepared. But of more importance is I am also prepared to NOT draw and fire.

I say that because I see so many CCW, especially new CCW, who I somehow feel see carrying and the prospect of shooting someone some sort of romantic notion akin to being James Bond.

Here is the deal. Many states, including here in Florida no longer have a duty to retreat by law, so that means you must instill a logical desire to retreat by training. If you HAVE a choice between drawing and firing, and running like three year old girl ... my answer is RUN! Of course, if you do not have the choice, then draw and fire as you have also trained.

Your most powerful weapon is between your ears, put it to use first and if the need to use a firearm comes up you will be prepared.

Well said.....I agree!

To answer the OP, I have had additional advanced training beyond the joke training it took to get my CHP. Frankly, the CHP training (and watching the abilities of the majority of the people who were awarded a CHP) almost shook my committment to the Second Amendment. In any case, having been in both the aviation and nuclear power industries, I have learned one thing that holds true the majority of the time: you react the way you were trained. I am a strong proponent of both advanced training after you get your CHP, and periodic TRAINING thereafter. I capitalized training because training is more than target shooting. Going to the range and standing there shooting at stationary targets is not training, it is balistic masturbation. Training should include movement, shoot / no-shoot, tactics and law. Yes, it will cost you something. However, screwing up and shooting the wrong people will cost you, too. A grieving widow does not care if her husband (or child for that matter) was killed by a criminal or by an overzealous "sheepdog" (a stupid term that I detest).

Going into Law Enforcement, this is a hard question for me to answer. I automatically want to protect the people who cant protect themselves, but also my main focus has to be protecting my family and myself. Taking cover should be your first course of action, from there, it just depends on the situation. You need to ask yourself; Can I really do anything and if I can without causing harm to the sheeple and myself, can I live with myself for not doing anything when I could have. Situational awareness and training is what will guide you in a situation like this, along with using your brain.

JJ,
The sheepdogs are the cops. It's their job to protect the flock. I'm not a sheepdog, I'm a ram. Rams are sheep that have horns and are not afraid to use them.

The police have no obligation to protect you. The are there to enforce and investigate, nothing more.

I agree gunsite. One of the things I like to use to illustrate this is the video of the Charging Target on youtube. The shooter is a competitor and has already seen what he/she is up against. They're reacting to the buzzer, not the identification of a threat and that my friends is the difference between the fantasy realm of competition shooting and real-life. The FBI statistics illustrate a gun fight is likely to be over in 3 to 5 seconds and a lot of folks can't even positively identify a threat in 3 seconds let alone formulate a reaction and act upon it in just 2 more seconds, all without factoring in environmental distractions.

Spacial and situational awareness folks. There's a point when this is hyper-vigilance, but that hyper-vigilance will alert you to the physical cues of others and just might give you that edge that something bad is about to go down and that you'll be forced to react.

It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it. Train to do both, been there done that hope to never do it again.

The police have no obligation to protect you. The are there to enforce and investigate, nothing more.

They don't? I am pretty sure thats what my tax dollars pay for. I am also pretty sure that on almost every police cruiser I have seen at some point in my life, the term on it: "To Serve and Protect" was there.

If 20 yards away, what would I do. We can all say take cover and or run. Here's the truth of the matter, how many of you are going to run or take cover, and hear a gun go off and someone now falls to the floor. I would say truthfully not many of you. I agree the best answer is to cover or leave. Deep down inside of you, you will say damn and take a deep breath. Pull your firearm and make the best shoot you have ever made. Bad guy down all is are safe. Deadly force was use, you feared for life or another human life. For the person who wrote, where are the sheepdog. We can't be everywhere when s crime takes place. If we could be, there be no crime taking place.
Now the other side of this coin is, he pulled their firearm and fired at someone. I can do that to scare the Hell out of anyone. Now retreat, cover or hide thats the best answer. Till there in that situation you can't say what you would do. I can read this story again and come up with a different answer. Being there tells the truth.

Remember CCW is a term to refer to illegal carry. Also I don't believe in CC unless the weather calls for it, so I OC with one in the chamber QCB Sherpa level II. I will reply to a threat aimed at me or my family first.

They don't? I am pretty sure thats what my tax dollars pay for. I am also pretty sure that on almost every police cruiser I have seen at some point in my life, the term on it: "To Serve and Protect" was there.

Warren Vs D.C. put a lid on that forever. Police have no duty to protect the individual. I don't care what's painted on the cars.

NRA Instructor huh? No need to ask why I'm no longer a member of the NRA.

Observe. Report. Being a witness with information is more valuable to you then a law suite for using deadly force on some scumbag whos family is going to claim they are a saint. Retreat and Report.

Observe. Report. Being a witness with information is more valuable to you then a law suite for using deadly force on some scumbag whos family is going to claim they are a saint. Retreat and Report.

'Depends on the state. If you're unwilling or hesitant to use that pistol because of 'legalities'... leave it at home. 'Cause all that should not be going thru your mind during an 'event'. That's the sort of stuff that get's people killed... even cops.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back