CCW on water

cardinalfan

Okay, now that warmer weather is almost starting to show up, how many of you carry when you're out on the water? I really wouldn't want to leave my firearm locked in my vehicle at the boat ramp. Or even a better question, how are the laws relating to having a weapon on your boat, just like it was your vehicle?

I'm not really clear on carrying on the water. I had a buddy that got his CCW the same time I did. He was launching his dads boat, while they were together. Some one spotted his carry piece in its holster. That person got freaked and called a Ranger over or some thing. The officer approached my friend, asked him about his piece and if he was carrying. My friend said it was for snakes, water moccasins, which are very aggressive around here. The officer agreed, and said as long as he didn't here TSHTF, he would leave my friend alone.
I have looked over MO CC laws many times, but I have not seen anything regarding carrying on the water. I guess it could depend on what govt agency controls the body of water. State parks, Army corps of engineers, water in a national park(policy is changing), etc. Could be different for each. Dont know. Could be banned/covered under the "any where specificlly prohibited by fed law".

Here in Minnesota, carry is carry whether its on your person, in your vehicle with you, or out on the boat with you. If you are worried about getting your gun wet, check out pellican cases Welcome to www.pelican.com Pelican Products - Manufacturer of high-impact, watertight equipment Protector Cases and safety approved, technically advanced flashlights or some other waterproof case. You'll still be able to get to your gun if you need it, while giving your weapon the protection it deserves. PLUS THEY FLOAT for "just in case" you get wet!

SC is not an open carry state, but if you have a fishing license and are going to or from fishing (or hunting), you can open carry. So you can open carry in the boat as long as you have license and a fishing pole. No restrictions on licensed CC on your boat. Not sure if you can carry in the console under any other circumstances.

SC is not an open carry state, but if you have a fishing license and are going to or from fishing (or hunting), you can open carry. So you can open carry in the boat as long as you have license and a fishing pole. No restrictions on licensed CC on your boat. Not sure if you can carry in the console under any other circumstances.

I have a summer place on lake Greenwood so in the summer I'm on the water a lot. They have a tendency to stop and check boats at night. I've been stopped and checked several times. If I'm not fishing I keep mine concealed and I just tell them that I have a CWP and I'm armed. They just tell me thanks and finish checking safety equipment. If I'm fishing I open carry without any problems! Just in case I have a fishing rod in every boat.

A theoretical question for the forum:

You are in possession of your Arkansas Permit to Carry. You are traveling up river in your houseboat.

You stopped in Missouri town and obtained a out of state fishing license. You continue up river, and are anchored in a backwater pool on the Illinois side of the Mississippi river. A game warden with the People's Republic of Illinois boards your vessel check you for licence, and safety compliance. He notices that you are packing your Jennings model 48 in a plastic holster..

Everything on your houseboat is up to compliance.

What, if anything can you be cited, or arrested for?

Just like driving a car through a state you have to comply with whatever state controls that part of the water. If it's illegal to have it on your boat in that state then you are subject to arrest.

Just like driving a car through a state you have to comply with whatever state controls that part of the water. If it's illegal to have it on your boat in that state then you are subject to arrest.
Is the houseboat considered a home? Is it legal for them to fish there with the Missouri fishing license? Regarding the FOPA comment, the posting said he had the pos in a plastic holster. Pay attention.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back