CCW on school property over the weekend

Bruce8585

My church has grown out of our building and we are currently renting an elementary school gym to meet in. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this kind of situation being an outside group using school facilities. Is there a way to legally carry strictly only on Sunday?

Finally found the right spot to post this. Non-related to guns...is there a way to delete a post on the wrong forum?

Sent from my SM-G900V using USA Carry mobile app

My church has grown out of our building and we are currently renting an elementary school gym to meet in. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this kind of situation being an outside group using school facilities. Is there a way to legally carry strictly only on Sunday?

Given the information (or lack of information) provided, nobody can provide an accurate answer to your question because it is strictly a matter of state law so long as you possess a license to carry issued by the same state the school is located in.

It would all depend on the state laws in your state.

In NC, a school is a school 24/7/365 and carry on school grounds is illegal 24/7/365.

I am not advocating doing something illegal, but do any of you think the half crazed lunatic that's in the middle of a bad divorce and wants to waste his soon to be EX cares how many other church goers he take with him, IF it really is against the law to have your gun on you while in church being on school property, you have to decide if you want to be safe or legal, as I said I will not tell another to go against the law but for me, if that sort of thing came up I would rather have more in my pocket than a cell phone

Code of Laws - Title 16 - Chapter 23 - Offenses Involving Weapons

SECTION 16-23-420. Possession of firearm on school property; concealed weapons.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm of any kind on any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post-secondary institution, or in any publicly owned building, without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property. The provisions of this subsection related to any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, or other post-secondary institution, do not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle.

(B) It is unlawful for a person to enter the premises or property described in subsection (A) and to display, brandish, or threaten others with a firearm.

(C) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than five thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

The property is still owned by the school. You will need the school board's express permission to carry the firearm inside the school building. I would recommend getting it in writing.

While getting permission in writing is best, it's not required. You will also need the permission of your pastor or the church board to carry in church. If the property is a private school, it may be easier to get permission. (It's not always the case. But, a lot of private schools seem to be more conservative here in the south.)

-

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back