CCW in an FCC licensed location

junmard4th

Hi all! I would just like to ask if it is true that it is unlawful to conceal carry in an FCC licensed location such as cell sites?
I work on cell sites during maintenance window time, around 7pm to 7am. Most of the time alone.
Thanks.

Posted using my phone.

Certainly not a federal law or regulation. Nothing in 47 CFR even mentions firearms. About the closest I have found covers carrying firearms into certain nuclear reactor sites.
Don't know of any state law. Most likely this is a requirement of the carrier or site owner. Certainly, I've worked on commercial radio sites in some dicey locations and never heard of any restriction on firearms there.

there's a whole lot of nonsense out there.
only federally OWNED properties are no go places, think post offices, court houses, military posts, buildings in national parks.

I do know that it is illegal to conceal carry onto property of US Post Offices. You cannot even pull into the parking lot with your weapon. Many of them have drive up lanes as part of the street side parking where you can park and leave your weapon in the car while you do your business inside the post office. Check this link for more information... http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf and in particular #3, #8, and #10.

Cell towers are usually on leased property from individuals, and Verizon or whom ever is the leasee/tenant. Know a guy with some acreage near the interstate, and he gets a nice check every quarter for leasing the top of one the hills to Verizon, and has for years. He still does what he wants with the land, including leasing it to hunters, and has had it logged a couple of times.

Decades ago I had a CB radio, and an actual FCC license and call letters. The fact I had a base station in my home did not make my property to fall under any government restrictions aside from the actual radio power and transmissions.

Transmission Sites ie: Cellular, Broadcast, Private are all usually under the juridiction of the local laws, not a federal limitation as would a actual Federal installation. My rule of thumb is to (1) know the law of the state I am in, especially concerning prohibited places of carry and (2) If the site, building or property is owned by a known Federal entitiy I would not carry there. YMMV and I would be careful of any site posted with the usual Federal Gov'tment signs (you know the ones like on Federal Aircraft Tower sites)

My 2 cents worth. Symtron

Cell sites are typically on private property. A FCC license is a permit for radio communication. It does not suddenly make a privately-owned cell site federal property. 18 U.S. Code § 930 does not apply here. Cell sites that are on federal property do fall under 18 U.S. Code § 930.

Actually that story is from one of our project managers. Worse to that was he said that local LEO has no jurisdictions on such sites because "it is a federal location."

Posted using my phone.

Absolutely nothing to do with the fact it was a cell tower sight, but the fact he made the mistake of taking his gun into a state where the constitution has been declared null & void.

If you had read the article, you would have seen "The State of New Jersey does not recognize any state’s right to carry firearms – in the vehicle or otherwise. In fact, it’s a class 2 felony. "

Absolutely nothing to do with the fact it was a cell tower sight, but the fact he made the mistake of taking his gun into a state where the constitution has been declared null & void.

If you had read the article, you would have seen "The State of New Jersey does not recognize any state’s right to carry firearms – in the vehicle or otherwise. In fact, it’s a class 2 felony. "

I know what this case is about, otherwise I would not have posted the link. I was just providing the OP with some reading material to show that he is not the only one carrying while on the job. There is a reason why my post included "Read and learn:".

Actually, they many very well not be on private property. Here in Virginia there's actually a predisposition for siting cell cites and the like on public lands.

A cell site does not make it suddenly illegal to carry a firearm on public lands either.

he doesn't need our help, he violated an unjust law, what is needed is national reciprocity

More government regulation? NO! What is needed is for the 2nd Amendment to be honored by every government within the jurisdiction of the United States where the Constitution is supposed be the supreme law of the land and for the citizen's to stop accepting B.S. "compromises" which are not compromises but the voluntary surrendering of citizens' rights.

A cell site does not make it suddenly illegal to carry a firearm on public lands either.

Never said it did. In fact, I specifically pointed that out in my very first response in the thread. I was just pointing out that cell cites are frequently not sited on private property as you erroneously stated.

Just an update, this is what is posted on the site.

Two things:

Are Federal employees regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties? If not, then it ain't a Federal facility.

Is there a sign that says firearms are prohibited per 18 USC 930? If not, then you can't be convicted of unlawfully carrying a firearm.

Read the law:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930

Paragraphs (g)(1) and (h)

Two things:

Are Federal employees regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties? If not, then it ain't a Federal facility.

Is there a sign that says firearms are prohibited per 18 USC 930? If not, then you can't be convicted of unlawfully carrying a firearm.

Read the law:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930

Paragraphs (g)(1) and (h)
Thank you sir. Just making sure.

Posted using a calculator and delayed by AT&T.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back