CCW Error - Accidental Discharge

Ceicei

It appears this man (who has a Utah CCW permit) during his lunch wasn't too careful with his gun when he attempted to adjust his gun/holster at a restaurant.

Link Removed

- Ceicei

Scary!!

Could have been worse.... Taurus semi-auto. I wonder what kind of holster he was using?? I think these types of mishaps are going to be a lot more common now that more folks are getting permits.

Last edited:
what an idiot....I carry a PF9 in a pocket holster...you don't accidentally "bump" the trigger and set this thing off, it requires a fairly lengthy trigger pull. If he gets his CHL back it should only be after he completes an NRA basic pistol (or similar) course.

Triggerguard

Well, it looks like "something" got caught in the trigger guard. That may be why he was attempting to adjust the gun in the holster if he was trying to free whatever was stuck in there. On the other hand, it could be he may have inadvertently put his hand on the grip and pressed the trigger while adjusting.

<rant mode on>
You know what gets me about such articles with accidental firing? It drives me nuts when people say, "but officer, the gun just went off" or "I was cleaning, and bang, the gun just fired." Why can't such people admit they pulled the trigger, even if it was in error? Guns, being inanimate objects, don't generally "decide" to fire without having something pull the trigger or hit/release the hammer.
:mad:
<rant off>

- Ceicei

Well, it looks like "something" got caught in the trigger guard. That may be why he was attempting to adjust the gun in the holster if he was trying to free whatever was stuck in there. On the other hand, it could be he may have inadvertently put his hand on the grip and pressed the trigger while adjusting.

- Ceicei

That is why I would never use a holster design that leaves the trigger guard unprotected. Sounds like he had it tucked in his waistband like a "gangsta" or he chose a poor holster design.

If I have a round chambered and I think I have something stuck or caught around the trigger or I need to adjust something... I'm not going to be mucking with it in the middle of wherever I am, I'm going to go to the bathroom and clear my weapon correctly and resolve whatever the issue is.

I've never owned a Taurus but I see it is listed as an DA/SA so is it possible to carry it in SA mode with the hammer back and no safety on?

I know my DA/SA Beretta in DA mode takes a long hard stroke to fire, but with the hammer back in SA mode it is pretty much a light touch. As it has a decocker rather than a safety there is no such thing as carrying "cocked and locked" rather carryin it SA is just looking for a ND to happen.

Also, in this case I would not list this as an Accidental Discharge, no doubt in my mind this is a Negligent Discharge with us just knowing for sure what the negligence is, but rest assured ... it is there.

Guess it would be embarassing to find yourself hung-up on the chair in a public place. If I wasn't violaing the carry laws (bar location) I would sit there until the place cleared outas much as I could hope for, then call for the manager and explain the situation to him. Maybe good to call the police for help, maybe not.

However, I would never try to clear it from a position/stance where I couldn't see the weapon and how I was "caught". Maybe I would trust a couple of friends with trying to extricate it but pretty much I hope I could swallow my pride and call for some experienced help (like a LEO or friend) rather than a busboy, my inept co-worker, client or lunchdate.

I've never owned a Taurus but I see it is listed as an DA/SA so is it possible to carry it in SA mode with the hammer back and no safety on?

I recently bought a 3rd generation Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm. It is DA/SA, but it is only DA upon a misfire, any other time it is SA only. Which was recently discussed in this thread ...http://www.usacarry.com/forums/handgun-discussion/6825-taurus-millennium-pt111-pro-9mm.html... Also, there is no external hammer. This 3rd generation does have a manual safety. Previous generations were DAO. I am unsure if the previous generations had manual safeties.

If the gun in the picture is truly a Taurus (which it looks like it is to me), then I believe it to be a previous generation, because there is no evidence of a manual safety nor decocker. The 2 levers on the side of the gun are the slide disassembly latch and the slide catch.

So, my guess is...Taurus Millennium, 1st or 2nd generation, DAO, no external hammer, no manual safety nor decocker...but that is just a guess.

The gun in the picture is not a Taurus, some said it is a PF-9 which it does look like. The Taurus has a manual safety and is double stack which the gun in the picture does not have. Actually I think it is a PF-11 rather than a PF-9 and is DA with no safety. Whatever it was a dumb action on the man's part.

I have a PF-9 and it is DAO and has quite a strong trigger pull. To accidently fire that weapong would take a lot.

I have a PF-9 and it is DAO and has quite a strong trigger pull. To accidently fire that weapon would take a lot.

I have both the Tarus PT-111 and a P3AT and agree that there is more to this story than in this article.

The pistol in the picture is a Kel-Tec P11 9mm. It looks like it is fitted with the trigger shoe and belt clip that Kel-Tec sells for that model.
Either accessory would be ok on its own, but the combination would make it much more likely to cause an AD.
I suspect that what happened is that he was carrying the pistol inside his waist band using the belt clip and as he sat down the pistol pushed up and when he pushed it back down, the trigger shoe caught on his belt or pants and fired the gun.

I own a P11 with a belt clip and plan on carrying it that way but do not have the trigger shoe.
The P11 trigger guard is very wide compared to the trigger, and has about an 8 pound long double action pull. People add the trigger shoe to reduce the perception of the hard trigger pull but it is then almost as wide as the trigger guard.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back