CCW course for multiple states?

tomcat017

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about CCW courses, and how they're classified. I'm registered to take a Utah course next weekend, which will be taught by an NRA certified instructor. In the near future, I would like to apply for my Connecticut and Maine permits. Both require a class (or "proof of knowledge of handgun safety"). I called both the ME and CT issuing authorities to ask if the Utah class would be sufficient, and both said roughly the same thing. They said that the class must be a basic pistol class. I told both the class I was taking was not the "NRA Basic Pistol Course" but that it did have a live fire segment, and was taught by an NRA certified instructor. Both said that they thought the class would be sufficient. However, both were in a rush, and while very nice, didn't convince me that we were on the same page. So I wanted to post here and ask if anyone knew the answer--I don't want to send my apps in only to have them sent back or ignored. Thanks in advance for the help--if you need more details, I'll post whatever I can. Cheers!

-Mike

I can't speak to the state requirements but as a Utah CCW instructor, you will receive basic handgun instruction, in addition to the concealed carry laws of Utah. Also, I'm an NRA instructor and can say that you won't be receiving the full NRA course. However, if you look at the format of the NRA basic pistol course and compare it to the Utah Concealed Carry course, I think you'll see lots of similarities. So you can always make the argument that your Utah CCW course counts as almost as complete as the full NRA course. I suggest talking with the primary source, the state that issues the permit. Good luck!

Welcome to USA Carry, ccwforlife. I don't have permits for Maine and Connecticut, but I don't see why that course wouldn't qualify someone for a CCW in almost (emphasis on almost) every state. Or could I be wrong?

CCW course

If you go to Front Sight, in Pahrump, NV, and take either the two day or four-day pistol course and add one more day, they will do the fingerprints and paperwork to allow you to carry concealed in 30 states. If you can afford it, I would recommend it highly. I just sae that a marine dad sent his two sons to Front Sight, as they were about to be deployed to Iraq.

Unless Maine or Connecticut require a state specific course, I would say that your Utah course would suffice. You've already contacted them, and they did not mention any state specific training. They probably just want proof that you can safely handle a gun, similar to Florida's CHL requirement.

Be sure to let us all know how this works out for you!

dww, thanks for the help. Good call on the update, hopefully it will be helpful for others. I didn't have too much confidence in what I was told by the Connecticut and Maine personel that I spoke too, so I decided to take the NRA basic course just in case. Luckily, I found an instructor in my area who was teaching both on the same day. So instead of two classes (Utah and NRA) I took one, and obtained both certificates. I did have to stay a few hours longer than I would have with each individual course to cover the extra particulars of each course, but it was worth the convenience.

Connecticut was extremely fast in getting me my license. The application was a bit confusing (and those who I spoke to on the phone were very nice, but didn't seem to be all that well familiar with their own paperwork), and so I was anticipating the possibility of problems, returned app, etc. But to my surprise, the license arrived in the mail in a little over a month.

I applied for the Maine license at the same time (about 65 days ago) and am still waiting. I'll post an update on the Maine forum when (if) I get it :laugh:

dww, thanks for the help. Good call on the update, hopefully it will be helpful for others. I didn't have too much confidence in what I was told by the Connecticut and Maine personel that I spoke too, so I decided to take the NRA basic course just in case. Luckily, I found an instructor in my area who was teaching both on the same day. So instead of two classes (Utah and NRA) I took one, and obtained both certificates. I did have to stay a few hours longer than I would have with each individual course to cover the extra particulars of each course, but it was worth the convenience.

Connecticut was extremely fast in getting me my license. The application was a bit confusing (and those who I spoke to on the phone were very nice, but didn't seem to be all that well familiar with their own paperwork), and so I was anticipating the possibility of problems, returned app, etc. But to my surprise, the license arrived in the mail in a little over a month.

I applied for the Maine license at the same time (about 65 days ago) and am still waiting. I'll post an update on the Maine forum when (if) I get it :laugh:

Congrats. A little over a month is very timely. Now you can defend yourself and your loved ones. Good job!

I applied for the Maine license at the same time (about 65 days ago) and am still waiting. I'll post an update on the Maine forum when (if) I get it
:laugh:

Maine is shall issue, so unless you did something wrong or the application got lost in the mail, you should be okay.

I have CT and ME. The training certificate has to be signed off by an NRA certified instructor with their instructor number on the certificate to qualify for proof of training in CT and ME. My Nevada CFP training certificate qualifies as it has the NRA instructor numbers of the persons who taught the class. On the CT application, there is a space for the instructor(s) NRA instructor numbers.

Wuzfuz, Frontsight just teaches the UT and maybe the NV class. CT and ME have no recognition or reciprocity. I don't know if any of the instructors are NRA certified. Piazza was indicted on under RICO. He may have dodged the charges for now. Given the nature of the charges I would not invest my time or money there.

The people who bought a plot of land there when the RKBA master planned community have not been given full restitution for their investment.

Here's the latest on the Front Sight lawsuit. There's a possibility that Piazza may end up going to Leavenworth and Front Sight closing permanently since the litigation is still active in the federal court system.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back