CCW Clothing

pf32450

I am fairly new to USA Carry and wanted to ask about concealed clothing especially pants (long and short). Have seen some on the web but not sure what works. I am looking for both comfort and concealment. As I have gotten older the love handles have grown just a tad and am trying to find out if someone has good information on fit. I will be carrying a Glock 40 cal and also looking at a subcompact. Thanks for any info that will help.

CCW - choosing what to wear

I am fairly new to USA Carry and wanted to ask about concealed clothing especially pants (long and short). Have seen some on the web but not sure what works. I am looking for both comfort and concealment. As I have gotten older the love handles have grown just a tad and am trying to find out if someone has good information on fit. I will be carrying a Glock 40 cal and also looking at a subcompact. Thanks for any info that will help.

I have been lucky in that I have not had to buy any "CCW clothes." I have purchased shirts that are more loose than what I used to wear, but that is pretty much the only concession I have had to make with my wardrobe to conceal a weapon every day.

Generally speaking, make a fist, and if you can fit your fist into the waistband of your shorts/pants, your gun will also fit.

Get a GUN BELT so your pants don't sag, and invest in a QUALITY HOLSTER (I have custom holsters from UBG Holsters, but I have heard nothing but GOOD about Crossbreed holsters for concealment).

Personally, I think the easiest place to hide the gun is just behind the hip, so that the grip hides in the curve of the spine. If you reach and bend a lot during the day, you may print a lot with the gun behind the hip--try appendix carry if that is the case.

Shirts should be more loose than fitted, and patterns hide the gun better than solids (generally speaking). For myself, I wear loose T-shirts and polo shirts in either solid white or solid black and people have been non-the-wiser.

Best of luck in finding a combination that works for you.

I carry daily either the Glock 27 or a full size Colt 1911. I have not had to change the size of my pants at all. Using the Crossbreed supertuck and a good gunbelt does the trick. The belt is only let out one notch to accomadate the IWB holster. Yes with age I also have some love handles but nothing to bad. LOL

All I did was buy a size large in my jeans and got a different style shirt. I bought every color of the izod polos and they cover great. They are a little longer in the back and drape very well. Nothing fancy and in the news paper I find 15%-25% off coupons at JCpenny so thats a plus.

CCW Cape,
CCW sash,
CCW mask, because concealed means concealed,
CCW headband,
CCW Pimp Cane,

And of course,
CCW Badge on one of those neck chain CCW Badge holder thingies.

I thought the above was normal... Anyway, I've been looking for a CCW comunication wrist-watch to keep in touch with Control, in our fight against Chaos. Any ideas?

I carry two different ways. I use an IWB holster ( just happens to be Don Hume )I put my holster between my belt and pants.

I also have a kangaroocarry holster and it is a good working holster. I use an tee shirt and a button-up cowboy shirt over the top of my Tee shirt when I want to dress up for dinners out.

I am a older person of 69 years. I am not thin. I wear long tailed tee shirts for outing to places like the markets etc.

I get strange looks from the wanna be gang bangers, but never a word is said. I like my comfort, and security.

I get my long tailed shirts from Champs a sporting good type of clothing place.

I am the type of person that doesn't care what others think of when I dress up.

My protection is my goal. No one has ever figured out that I carry. I even challenged a sherriff that is my friend to try to see my firearm ( Glock 21 ) he said I wasn't carrying.

Be comfortable, and not to worry about others making you. They won't.

dont buy into the ccw clothing, all i did was buy a good holster (crossbreed supertuck) and a size bigger in shirts and pants/shorts. i wear cargo shorts anyways so the extra pockets come in handy, but dont go and blow a bunch of $$$ on ccw clothing when u dont need to.

Thank you all for your help. Sounds like CCW clothing is not necessary so off to Walmart I go. Thanks again.

Conceal carry clothing makes you look like an off duty LEO.
The CCW uniform.
Might at well carry open.

I just wear a t shirt and unbuttoned top shirt to cover my owb full size 1911

Best thing I've found about CCW clothing (from LA Police Gear in particular) is that it usually goes on clearance and I can pick up tons of decent quality stuff for less than in local shops.

I don't usually wear shorts but I bought two pair of Wrangler Cargo a couple weeks ago and they work very well. One pair looked like regular pockets(they go down to bottom) with velcroed cargo pockets also on front and back right and left for wallet etc. I've used them a couple times to run around town untucked and at local shoots. Another pair has regular front pockets with other pockets mentioned. Just hanging out on a relaxed day...CCW either way you want- IWB or OWB with untucked shirt. And luckily they happened to be on sale when I went looking. And they have a clip for keys etc. which I don't usually use but an Inova Microlight can go there for all day security. Some of us have used these little lights 24/7 overseas deployed and home.

Just buy a little bigger pant. (Of course here's your chance to drop some lbs.. know you want to hear that!) Shirts a size up. GOOD BELT. Probably NOT Wally world. And a good holster. You are good to go.

I wouldn't wear any of the 'concealed carry clothing' stuff if it was given to me.

The object of concealed carry is to blend in with the rest of the world while still being armed. Wearing all that Tactical Ted stuff isn't blending in, it's standing out. I've been carrying concealed for 20 years over now and have never been 'outed' that I know of. When I worked in a gun shop, the local LEO's that frequented the place knew I was carrying and could very rarely figure out what I had or where it was without touching me. Do your due diligence before you leave the house (and remember to SQUAT to pick stuff up, not bend over) and you'll be good to go. I've always figured it this way, if I know where to look and can't see it in the mirror, then the guy on the street that has no idea I'm carrying hasn't got a chance of noticing it unless I do something stupid.

You've gotten the best advice you can already- go up a size or two in your britches, wear slightly oversized shirts that are dark in color or printed with busy prints (or both- both works real well), buy a REAL belt that's designed to carry the weight of a gun and get a good holster. The belt and holster can't be emphasized enough. A real gun belt will hold the gun tight against your body and a good holster will keep it in ONE spot without it shifting around.

I agree with AJ- Don't waste money on things that look like fishing vests and really wild/out there stuff. I get pants at Salvation Army, Goodwill, Wal-Mart, and Target. They all need to be one size larger, or like eaccents said, make a fist. I bought some cheap sport coats at Target and JC Penny, and Old Navy. I can wear solid-color t-shirts with them. I can wear casual or dressy button-down shirts with them. I also got some cheap Hawai'ian-style shirts ("Aloha" shirts is what they are called)for summer weather. The Aloha shirts I got at Wal-Mart are subtle colors like steel blue, pewter gray, maroon, light green, etc. Every one of them has palm trees stitched into them that are barely one shade of color different than the shirt itself so that they are not 'tacky'-looking. For cooler months I get out the sports coats and longer-length jackets. People always ask me 'Why sport coats?' My answer in that I look professional and have gotten people interested in hiring me simply because I look more professional.
For holsters, I use my Crossbreed and Kholsters almost exclusively. I prefer the kholster because the leather piece is huge and protects my ribs from being rubbed raw by the grip of the gun. The back piece of the Crossbreed isn't big enough to protect my ribs. The kholster also has a wider range of angle adjustments.
There is a blog about shoulder holsters and others about which holsters are best, etc
Long story made short- shoulder holsters are bad. Waist packs have their place, but learn how to draw your gun safely with them. Same with crossdraw holsters. Those all have one fatal flaw (no pun intended): When you present the gun, make sure you know what is behind and next to you. Horizontal holsters all point the gun at everyone behind you, meaning everyone in the checkout lane at the store, at your own children in the back seat of your car, etc.
Another issue I see with all of these: When you draw the gun, raise the elbow of your off-side arm above your shoulder- this is called a 'chicken wing' and (hopefully) prevents you from shooting out your own brachial artery. For those who don't know what that is, the brachial artery is on the inside of your arm, from the armpit down to the elbow. If you get hit there, you will bleed out very quickly and yes, probably die.
The underwear holsters (no offense) have their place, but I'm not wild about having a gun pointing at my twins, or at my femoral artery (inside your thigh/groin area).
I'm not even sure what else to say other than to write my own book...LOL. Hope this helps...

Do you really need special clothing for CC? I think not! Just use what you got. No need to break the bank!

G50AE:229822 said:
CCW Cape,
CCW sash,
CCW mask, because concealed means concealed,
CCW headband,
CCW Pimp Cane,

And of course,
CCW Badge on one of those neck chain CCW Badge holder thingies.
I like that:cool: I'm going shopping tonight
:cool:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back