CCW Class Expiration

Craig Brashears

I passed my CCW class back in 2013 but I never took my certificate to the local Sheriff to finish the process to legally carry a concealed weapon in the State of Missouri. My question is can I still turn in the certificate and get my CCW or do I have to re-take the class? I don't see any expiration or time frame on my certificate so I'm assuming it's still good but don't want to take a chance unless I know for sure. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

I passed my CCW class back in 2013 but I never took my certificate to the local Sheriff to finish the process to legally carry a concealed weapon in the State of Missouri. My question is can I still turn in the certificate and get my CCW or do I have to re-take the class? I don't see any expiration or time frame on my certificate so I'm assuming it's still good but don't want to take a chance unless I know for sure. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Did you look in Missouri state law?

There is nothing in Missouri state law regarding an expiration of a training certificate:
Link Removed

After the passage of concealed carry in Missouri, I took a concealed carry training course but never applied for my concealed carry permit. Is my concealed carry training certificate still valid, or do I need to take another concealed carry training course?
As long as the course you took at the time was taught by a valid, qualified instructor as defined by statute, and as long as you still have the certificate that proves you successfully completed the training, then no, you don't need to take another class. If you have lost your certificate and your past instructor can't or won't provide you with a new one, then you will need to take and pass another approved training course.

Link Removed

Technically there is no expiration to your training in Missouri unless our legislature makes a change to the laws without a grandfather class (as they did in 2011). As long as you have your training cert you will be good to go.

Why? The answer contained in state law has already been given and confirmed from a Sheriff's Department website.

Because, where I live at least, different Sheriffs do things differently. I never saw OP post that he lives in Boone County (though maybe I just missed it), and I wouldn't trust one county's regs to hold true across the state. Anyway, it's just a quick phone call and he can be 100% sure of what he needs! Good luck OP.

And police have been known to LIE to the public.
The courts say it ok for them to lie to us but we can't lie to them.
If you have counties that are violating STATE law then report them.

Because, where I live at least, different Sheriffs do things differently. I never saw OP post that he lives in Boone County (though maybe I just missed it), and I wouldn't trust one county's regs to hold true across the state. Anyway, it's just a quick phone call and he can be 100% sure of what he needs! Good luck OP.

Total waste of time, regardless of how quick the phone call is. State law says the Sheriff has to accept it. If the Sheriff doesn't accept it the OP is going to need the formal denial in writing to take to court for a Writ of Mandamus ordering the Sheriff to obey state law and issue the permit.

If the sheriff's office claims they will illegally refuse to accept the certificate and the OP just pays to take another class, the only thing accomplished is the sheriff's office gets a pass on violating state law.

Where do you live? If not in Missouri then please keep your comments to yourself as they do not help the OP. If you live in Missouri and have information that the procedures are not being follow I would like to know the details so I can follow up. Thank you.

Link Removed

Link Removed the Missouri gun laws

In the class it will teach the following. No place does it give an expiration of the class given by a certified instructor. The OP only needs to read or contact the instructor that gave the class for this information. I taught this class in Missouri for several years before moving to Oklahoma. The Boone county post applies to all county's as it is a state regulation. I gave that reference because it was handy sorry if it caused some confusion.
NavyLCDR gave the correct answer.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back