CCW Carry in National Parks

mtndwell

I came across this link and wanted to share. I have read quite a bit about this, but until this point, wasn't able to find any specifics on when it would be effective. All I heard was some time in January after it was published. It looks like January 9th is the big day when we can begin carrying in national parks (in states that permit it). Here are the specifics provided by the DOI. Link Removed

mtndwell

Try another way

Sorry, the link worked when I created it. :sad: I have downloaded the PDF and posted it. If you want to get there yourself, go to Link Removed and enter Concealed in 2008 Only search box. Click submit. It is the first item in the list. Choose your opening preference. Hope this helps someone.

gvaldeg1

NRA Member
Concealed Carry in National Parks

Thanks for posting the PDF file containing the complete regulation posted in the Federal Register. I know that there has been a lot of confusion about this new regulation. I have seen it stated on several occasions that you must have a carry permit from the state in which the Park is located to carry in the National Park. This is not true! If you have a carry permit (or permits) that is recognized by the state in which the Park located, then you may carry concealed in the Park. The specific part of the regulation that is applicable states:

"Under the final rule, individuals must
have actual authority to possess those
loaded and concealed firearms under
state law in order to carry those loaded
concealed firearms in Federal park areas
and refuges. This means that the State
in which the park or refuge unit is
located must have laws that authorize
the individual to possess those
concealed and loaded firearms, and the
individual must be so authorized.
Additionally, to the extent that a Stateโ€™s
law recognizes licenses issued by other
States, including the applicability of
reciprocity agreements, the final rule
would similarly recognize such
reciprocal authorities."

Does this law cover Open carry as well? When this law does take affect i am planning a group trip armed to the Nat park up the road from me.

gvaldeg1

NRA Member
Does this law cover Open carry as well? When this law does take affect i am planning a group trip armed to the Nat park up the road from me.

Nope! It only applies to concealed carry. They're worried that open carry would frighten or intimidate Park visitors. It takes effect January 9th. There's a message here. Get your carry permit! It's become increasingly clear that permit holders have more rights that non-permit holders don't have than ever before. That's not the way the 2nd Amendment was intended but...that's just the way it is.

What spot says Concealed carry only? I read it and as it does say concealed and permit it also goes on to say the law will be set up to follow the gun laws of each state. So if this is true then in states that open carry is a right then this law should cover it. There is no place in the bill ( or in the link to the web site posted here with the bill) That is says it does not cover Open carry so link me to the part of the bill that says CC only?

Stiofan

What spot says Concealed carry only? I read it and as it does say concealed and permit it also goes on to say the law will be set up to follow the gun laws of each state. So if this is true then in states that open carry is a right then this law should cover it. There is no place in the bill ( or in the link to the web site posted here with the bill) That is says it does not cover Open carry so link me to the part of the bill that says CC only?

The law pertains only to concealed carry.

Here's a pdf of the final draft of the law directly from the Interior Department's website. Link Removed

You see it only mentions concealed firearms. It also states the purpose of the law is to make concealed carry in and out of the national parks consistant within state laws. It never mentions open carry. If anyone wants to be an armchair lawyer and open carry, feel free but you have been warned. :dance3:

FreedomsAdvocate

One other point to add to this:

Link Removed

As of December 2008, National Parks and National Wildlife refuges now permit the concealed carry of firearms within their boundaries as per state law.[cut the part that only applies to Florida]. However, concealed firearms (or any weapon) may not be taken inside any building on these premises that are regularly used by federal employees. Such is still a violation of 18 USC 930. Of course, open carry of firearms in permitted areas for hunting during season, with the proper firearm and a valid hunting license are unaffected.

gvaldeg1

NRA Member
The law pertains only to concealed carry.

Here's a pdf of the final draft of the law directly from the Interior Department's website. Link Removed

You see it only mentions concealed firearms. It also states the purpose of the law is to make concealed carry in and out of the national parks consistant within state laws. It never mentions open carry. If anyone wants to be an armchair lawyer and open carry, feel free but you have been warned. :dance3:

Thanks Stiofan! You and I read it the same. The Vermonters are out of luck. Open carry in National Parks at your own peril. If you want to be a test case feel free. The obvious solution is to get a carry permit. I have two permits that are recognized in close to 40 states. That covers a lot of National Parks, Monuments, and Wildlife Refuges.

Last edited:

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!

Link Removed

I suppose some progress is better than no progress. However, what do they expect people to do if they need to go inside to use the bathroom? Go to their vehicle (if they arrived in one) secure the pistol inside, go use the bathroom, and then return to get their weapon before continuing on?

Onlinedad

I suppose some progress is better than no progress. However, what do they expect people to do if they need to go inside to use the bathroom? Go to their vehicle (if they arrived in one) secure the pistol inside, go use the bathroom, and then return to get their weapon before continuing on?

Pee on the trees/bushes. And dig a cat hole for #2 :biggrin:

mtndwell

Link Removed

This blog states that it is not legal to carry in Federal Facilities based on 18 USC 930. When I looked at the actual code, in subsection d number 3, which outline the exemptions that apply to carrying a dangerous weapon, states the following:

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

The last of the phrase, "or other lawful purposes", sticks out. Wouldn't State licensed conceal carry for personal protection, deemed by the state as legal and lawful, be considered a lawful purpose? Does anyone have any clarification on this or know of any case law? Here is the website I looked at the code: Donate to the Legal Information Institute

Last edited:

10-343B

:stop:I've had to jammed up a few normally law abiding firearms owners get over nuances, so here is my two cents.

According to 18 USC 930, The term "Federal facility'' means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties. These are the places that we have historically been denied possession of firearms, basically federal government offices.

The section analysis of the new DOI regulation 36 CFR 2.4(h) specifically reads:
Possession of concealed firearms in national parks as authorized by this section must also conform to applicable Federal laws. Accordingly, nothing in this regulation shall be construed to authorize concealed carry of firearms in any Federal facility or Federal court facility as defined in 18 U.S.C. 930.

The intent of this law was not to allow the possession of firearms in federal facilities, more to the point around federal employees. We could not carry there before; this new regulation does not allow us to carry there now. Please don't carry inside visitor centers or park headquarters. This is how NPS Rangers will interpret this law.

By the way nearly 90% of the Association of National Park Rangers was against this regulation in its entirety.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryss