CCW and USPSA Holster choice?

arizonaguide

nobody special
I have recently purchased 2 handguns for near future CCW (and hopefully IDPA/USPSA or similar) use:

A SW442 (.38)revolver, and a KAHR P45 (.45) and I want to get involved with competition pistol shooting of some type (after the CCW class) to improve my shooting / training with my CCW handguns.

My roadblock is in choosing a holster.:unsure:

I want to CCW the weapons in a IWB or OWB holster strong side back, typically under a polo shirt.

Does anyone have any advice on good IWB or OWB (J-frame and KAHR) Holster Choices that could work for CCW and IDPA? And, if so would it be something that would have retention features, or is there such a thing? Is there a small easily concealable OWB with level II retention? Or a IWB that stays somewhat "open" for reholstering?

I'm Having trouble figuring out the proper holster for both CCW and IDPA-type use.
I want to train/compete with the same weapon/holster setup that I will use in "real life" everyday use.

Last edited:
I'm using Fobus paddle holsters for A Glock 30 and a Taurus PT92 and a small OWB soft nylon holster for the Kahr CW9. The Fobus holsters have passive retention. They do have a thumb break and thumb lever model, but the standard model hugs the body closer. They all hide OK under an un-tucked polo or T-shirt. I find IWB very uncomfortable. OWB is not quite as concealable but I think it's more accessible. Another great option with active retention is the Blackhawk Serpa, but again, not available for my guns.

I wrestled with the decision of leather over injection molded. None of the leather holsters I tried really fit the gun and drew easily. I tried everything that was available through our 4 or 5 local gun shops and Fobus paddle holsters offered the best balance between concealability, fast access and ease of use. Some of the leather holsters offered slightly better concealability, but it was more difficult to draw the gun. If the gun is not easily accessible, there's not much point in carrying it. BG is not going to wait while you dig your gun out of deep concealment.

The one exception to the leather issue was this one. Drew easily and keeps the gun very close to the body. It's also a very minimal design and inexpensive. Both good things.

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=33&zenid=he2l1sjfsonpf3kf936e8q6fl0

I have recently purchased 2 handguns for near future CCW (and hopefully IDPA/USPSA or similar) use:

A SW442 (.38)revolver, and a KAHR P45 (.45) and I want to get involved with competition pistol shooting of some type (after the CCW class) to improve my shooting / training with my CCW handguns.

I want to train/compete with the same weapon/holster setup that I will use in "real life" everyday use.

Hey AZ Guide - I'm in a similar situation in that I too am looking to get into IDPA or Practical Shooting, and will be checking out ranges (probably in Tucson) to "get a feel" for what they do, and HOW they do it.

Similarly, I'm searching all over for the "perfect" holster for the handgun I intend to use for those matches - which is also a gun I'd like to carry concealed.

Where in AZ are you and how soon are you looking to begin training for practical matches?

I'm running CCW classes regularly, and also some practical/tactical courses - but it's mostly from concealed carry - which I THINK is a different set up and rig (and purpose) entirely from IDPA stuff. I might be wrong, but the match shooters don't have to be concerned nearly as much with concealability as they do quick and unobstructed access - as the clock is the greatest foe.

You might be able to use a Blackhawk Serpa style holster for both applications, but concealing where and how you mentioned might be tough. It will protrude off the belt more than just a little.

I'm looking to get a Crossbreed IWB super tuck or even an OWB snap slide for my GSR - and primarily for CCW use daily. (Probably both.) I'm guessing if we hit a match or two and talk to and see what the serious competitors are choosing, we'll have our answer - and I'm already holding onto my wallet because I'm guessing it's more than one rig. But it's just my guess.

AZS, I think you have hit the nail on the head!
I think it's time to go and observe a competition, and see what rigs are popular, and would be good for concealment.
I'll post what I find out!
:cool:

AZG

AZS, I think you have hit the nail on the head!
I think it's time to go and observe a competition, and see what rigs are popular, and would be good for concealment.
I'll post what I find out!
:cool:

AZG

Ditto - I'll have a couple openings in my training schedule coming up, so I'll do the same. Should be interesting and entertaining too.

In general IDPA is designed to be shot with your carry holster and related gear. This of course assumes that you carry in a strongside belt holster of some sort as they do not allow, shoulder, crossdraw, ankle or S.O.B. holsters.

Get a holster that you will use for CCW, then use it for IDPA.
I wonder why people or person, and I won't name any names. Keep digging up postings that are more then a year old.
I mean once in a while is a good idea, but all the time? That is just horse poop.
Someone must have alot of time on their hands. Maybe they wants their post count up. Something?
Know what I mean?
Comments, explainations, questions welcome.:hang3:

For CCW I recommend the Crossbreed Supertuck. It is the most comfortable iwb holster I have worn and conceals very well. For IDPA/USPA I use a bladetech holster. But there are as many opinions as there are holsters.

I carry my Ultra CDP in a High Noon Down under and its a comfortable and very high quality holster. I am want to try the Supertuck by Crossbreed. I read good things about this holster and looks to be well made. It all depends on whats comfortable for you as everyone is built diffrently. Good luck with your choice.

drjavelina: Where do you hail from. Portland Ohio 366.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back