CCW and Firearm Courses for Women... Input Please

I have been getting into guns over the past year or two, and last year my boyfriend bought me my first pistol, a S&M 9mm 1500 series, with the agreement that I would take a handgun safety course before we transfer it over to my name. I have been looking more into it and plan on getting a CCW here in Sacramento County, but wanted to take the handgun safety course first. Looking at all the costs, it adds up pretty fast. And I've found a couple different courses that might help...Women's 4 hour Self Defense/Basic Pistol 101 Course, Carry with Confidence, etc. I want to be able to feel confident with my gun before getting a CCW as I want to be able to be strong if I ever need to use it, rather than becoming a victim to fear and having the predator take my gun from me. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I started with the NRA's First Steps class, which I highly recommend if you haven't used a gun much before (sounds like your Pistol 101 class might be similar). It was only about $30, done in one evening. Then, after some practice with my new gun, I took the NRA Personal Protection in the Home class (counted for state CCW requirement), which was all day, including some range time, and about $120. I do hope to take more training in the future, but I feel comfortable carrying every day with just those two classes plus practice on my own.

I started with the NRA's First Steps class, which I highly recommend if you haven't used a gun much before (sounds like your Pistol 101 class might be similar). It was only about $30, done in one evening. Then, after some practice with my new gun, I took the NRA Personal Protection in the Home class (counted for state CCW requirement), which was all day, including some range time, and about $120. I do hope to take more training in the future, but I feel comfortable carrying every day with just those two classes plus practice on my own.

Good training is vital, but so is regular practice on your own, both range and dry fire. But there are many kinds of dry fire and other drills not usually taught in these classes.

I had to shoot a man to save my life 30 years ago. Here's the story. The Man I Might Have Killed | The Price of Liberty I've written a small book about it and the drills, practice I've found most valuable since then. I will send it free to anyone who asks for it. Just read the story for that information.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back