CC Questions

hp-hobo

Just two quick questions about CC in Virginia.

1. Is it legal to CC in a bank? I have a South Carolina resident CWP along with FL, NH and PA non-resident permits so I can legally CC in VA.

2. What if any are the signage requirements in VA (specifically Norfolk if it matters) that'll restrict my entry into a bank, car dealership or fast food place while CCing.

Thanks for the info.

Here are the laws as it concerns VA. There is nothing about banks listed.

Where Unlawful to Carry

§18.2-308 (J.3.): No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer.

§18.2-308 (O.): Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited.

§18.2-283: To a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place, without good and sufficient reason.

§18.2-283.1: Courthouse.

§18.2-308.1: School property. Exemptions to this statute include a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school.

§18.2-287.01: Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal

What is a "good and sufficient reason"?
  1. If you are a cop
  2. If you are hired by the place of worship specifically for protection.

Back to the OP, yes you can carry in a bank...unless they post otherwise. The Banks that DO NOT allow guns on premises are:

BB&T
First Union Bank
Langley Federal Credit Union
Wachovia

Other establishments in Virginia that are Not gun friendly are:

Restaurants

Annie Moore's Pub
Brambleton Deli
Buffalo Wild Wings
Bungalow Billiards
Cornerstone Bar & Grill
Flanary's Pub, Inc.
Fuddruckers
Great American Restaurants
Kabuki Japanese Steak House
One Block West Restaurant
Outback Steakhouse (Fairfax)
Red Lobster
Richbrau Brewing Co.
Rivermill Map Company
TGI Fridays

Malls
Lynnhaven Mall
Manassas Mall
Potomac Mills Mall
Short Pump Town Center
Spotsylvania Mall
Springfield Mall
Valley View Mall Roanoke

Banks
BB&T
First Union Bank
Langley Federal Credit Union
Wachovia

Retail
Jared Jewelry
K-Mart (I'm sure Sears too since they are the same)
Maxway Department Stores
Value City Furniture

Entertainment
Cinemark
Paramounts Kings Dominion

There may be others but so far this is what I have seen.

Just two quick questions about CC in Virginia.

1. Is it legal to CC in a bank? I have a South Carolina resident CWP along with FL, NH and PA non-resident permits so I can legally CC in VA.

2. What if any are the signage requirements in VA (specifically Norfolk if it matters) that'll restrict my entry into a bank, car dealership or fast food place while CCing.

Thanks for the info.

Unless you bring a gun so you can rob the bank, your CC weapon shouldn't be a problem.
Ultimately, you should check your gun and CC rules at the local government outlets....Online forums are not exactly a sure way to learn about laws that ultimately might put your life on the line.
Good luck!

Unless you bring a gun so you can rob the bank, your CC weapon shouldn't be a problem.
Ultimately, you should check your gun and CC rules at the local government outlets....Online forums are not exactly a sure way to learn about laws that ultimately might put your life on the line.
Good luck!

Yes I agree, review the CCW laws in Va before moving. Texas is very correct, the web is filled with mis information. There are many banks here that have no policy regarding weapons. Then again you can also use the drive thru.
The link to see is Virginia State Police

The list I submitted is a listing of establishments in Virginia who have posted "no firearms" signs at their entrances which I have personally seen. I'm sure there are more places.This is one of the restrictions under §18.2-308 (O.): Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited. (see the bottom of the page in the link above).

I'd like to clarify a few of the businesses that cabrera listed regarding their anti-carry positions.

Wachovia is now under the policies of Wells Fargo, however a number of their branches still have the infamous revolver-with-a-red-line-through-it small sign posted.

The Fairfax Outback is the only one which I have heard about that has a problem with OC'ing (not sure if they have a sign posted).

I've OC'd into both Sears and K-Mart in Manassas with no problems at all.

I've OC'ing a number of times into the Great American Buffet in Manassas (think that's the name) without comment or problem.

Most establishments in our area do not have a problem with OC'ing or CC'ing (of course with CC'ing, they wouldn't know, would they). In fact, Virginia is the most lenient state in the South for carrying of both openly and concealed handguns. Great state to jump in and enjoy your natural, most basic right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50AE
What is a "good and sufficient reason"?

1. If you are a cop
  2. If you are hired by the place of worship specifically for protection.

Actually, that is not entirely correct. Virginia has no statutory nor caselaw definition of what "good and sufficient reason" means, but it is generally accepted that self defense is an acceptable reason for lawfully carrying a firearm. We generally go with that idea.

hp-hobo and G50AE - we do a class on Virginia gun laws which you may find useful - Link Removed

Malls
Spotsylvania Mall

Is this mall the Spotsylvania Town Center Mall on Rt 3?

the last time I was there when I read the sign it says

"No Weapons Except In Accordance With State and Federal Laws"
or words to that effect,
which would mean that open carry and concealed carry with a permit would be allowed doesnt it?

Is this mall the Spotsylvania Town Center Mall on Rt 3?

the last time I was there when I read the sign it says

"No Weapons Except In Accordance With State and Federal Laws"
or words to that effect,
which would mean that open carry and concealed carry with a permit would be allowed doesnt it?

Yes, the signs use to say:
"This establishment is smoke free, Shirts & Shoes are required, Weapons, Solicitation, Loitering, and Pets are prohibited"

The funny thing is that some entrances were marked while others say nothing.
Nice to see the new sign.
I agree, to me that would be interpreted as CCW ok. I'm sure though that if you open carried someone from there would ask you to leave.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back