CC questions for the 1911 group

Your always ready in condition one"Cocked and Locked" always.

Link Removed

OK Les M, let me show my ignorance, what brand are those really nice looking tools?

1911, CONDITION 1,35 years. I also have a boatload of holsters. As previously mentioned a proper belt is of extreme importance. I'm not a cop so I won't use a serpa holster. I find that wearing my ccw gun on a separate gunbelt is most comfortable.

Cocked and locked

The 1911 was designed to be carried cocked and locked, i.e., round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on.

I only started carrying when Ohio approved CCW, just over 5 years ago. However, I've been a 1911 user for over 50 years, and my guns are always cocked and locked, whether in a drawer, by my bedside, or wherever.

Now I use a fanny pack for carrying. it's not quite as quick a draw as a strong-side holster, but the concealment is excellent. No one pays it any attention. My friends are used to seeing me pull my cell phone, or my PDA, out of it, so it doesn't scream "gun" to them.

If you go that route, make sure the fanny pack is big enough that the grip doesn't block the zipper.

I think a cocked and locked 1911 in a fanny pack is a real bad idea. Too many possible scenarios where the safeties get disegaged resulting in a ND trying to grab and pull it out. I mean if you do intend to shoot, you're gonna be doing it in a hurry, right? Thumb safety catches on the zipper, fumbling for the grip. No way.

Real bad idea. :nono:

OK Les M, let me show my ignorance, what brand are those really nice looking tools?

Them be Kimbers from my view...

Nice Tools. Hard to get here in the cesspool of liberalism that is MA. When they do come up for sale they are very pricey. They don't come up for sale often. I own a Colt. Got mine on a trade. Same issue with Colt, they are not on the AG's roster.
If the manufacturer and model is not listed on the AG's roster of approved firearms, they can't be sold in the state new. It sucks here...

fanny pack

I think a cocked and locked 1911 in a fanny pack is a real bad idea. Too many possible scenarios where the safeties get disegaged resulting in a ND trying to grab and pull it out. I mean if you do intend to shoot, you're gonna be doing it in a hurry, right? Thumb safety catches on the zipper, fumbling for the grip. No way.

Real bad idea. :nono:

You may be right. I can only say I've not had that problem. I've practiced with both an airsoft 1911, and my carry gun, and have never had the safety come off unintentionally.

There's a first time for everything, I know, but so far it hasn't happened.

If one attains safety, and proficiency with any mode of carry, I think that's better than carrying in several different modes that are dependent on several different motivation factors. I think that consistency is the key.

Highly subjective, and to each his/her own. :yes4:

From left to right Kimber Eclipse custom II,Kimber Ultra CDP II 45acp,Kimber Ultra CDP II 9mm. The Ultra's are 3" and the custom is a full size 5"
The Kimbers have been great,I had a pro size 4" that I recently sold . It is being replaced with a Ed Brown Kobra Carry 4 1/4" 45acp.

Les Maynard, thanks for letting me know what they are - I am Glock through and through, but seem to have an itch for a 1911 Stainless.

:triniti: Try a L.A.R. Grizley.

T-50 looks good to me, but two questions: would you have $3000 laying around you could send me, and what IWB holster does it fit? :sarcastic:

Condition 1 in a UBG Regulator on a UBG belt.

A good gun belt is a must with any gun, but especially with a heavy steel 1911.

I carry a Kimber Eclipse II usually in a Desantis Tuck This II holster. I wear mine at 10 o'clock for cross draw. It just feels the most natural for me. Condition one as most people have said as well.

The 1911 was designed to be carried in "condition one"... that is... round in the chamber, hammer back, and safety on.

Actually , no it wasn't. The original 1911 didn't have a safety at all the Army demanded that JMB put one on the weapon.

That said, I agree if you're going to carry a 1911 it should be cond 1

Actually , no it wasn't. The original 1911 didn't have a safety at all the Army demanded that JMB put one on the weapon.

That said, I agree if you're going to carry a 1911 it should be cond 1

In what condition was the pistol that went into production in 1911 designed to be carried?

Condition I, usually with an IWB holster by Mark Waldon. Sometimes I use an Inside the Belt holster (The Mirage, from Milt Sparks). With this holster I carry in the appendix position.

I carry a 1911A1. As a firearm instructor I am very big on safety above all else. I carry condition 1. that is the way this firearm is ment to be carried. I us a Blackhawk Serpa holster on the strong side.

My Galco strong side holster has a nice feature, it has a strap that goes over the rear of the slide between the rear and the hammer. This way, even IF you could get the safety off, the grip safety down and the trigger pulled, it would just drop on the leathe, and not the firing pin. also keeps the 1911 from falling out, not that I think it would.

In what condition was the pistol that went into production in 1911 designed to be carried?

First let me reiterate that I agree the most sensible way to carry a 1911 is Cond. 1.

That said, I am unaware of any evidence that JMB designed the 1911 to be carried condition 1. The fact that the Army ,not him, insisted on the safety argues agsainst it.

Also, I can find no evidence that the Army ever intended Condition 1 carry either. In fact I have never seen an FM on the 1911 that doesn't state that it should be carried in Condition three. Again this argues against your thesis.

Your gun, you carry it any way you want

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back