CC in Clark County (Las Vegas) vs rest of Nevada

cardinalfan

Just got back from the first weekend of NFR in Las Vegas. Had an interesting discussion with a gentleman from Montana who makes leather goods. He had some really nice (and very pricey) pancake holsters that he hand makes. Well, got into discussions with him on CCW. He told me that even though my MO permit is good in the state of Nevada, you have to have a separate permit for Clark County that is issued by the Las Vegas PD. He showed me the one he has for this exact purpose. Seems as if even though your permit is recognized, you are illegal in Clark County. Anyone heard of know of this?

Wow, first I heard of that. I live about 60 miles outside of Las Vegas in Pahrump Nevada, and our permits are valid in Clark county.

Just got back from the first weekend of NFR in Las Vegas. Had an interesting discussion with a gentleman from Montana who makes leather goods. He had some really nice (and very pricey) pancake holsters that he hand makes. Well, got into discussions with him on CCW. He told me that even though my MO permit is good in the state of Nevada, you have to have a separate permit for Clark County that is issued by the Las Vegas PD. He showed me the one he has for this exact purpose. Seems as if even though your permit is recognized, you are illegal in Clark County. Anyone heard of know of this?

Complete FUD. The only thing unique to Clark County is handgun registration, which is only required of residents of Clark County.

NRS: CHAPTER 268 - POWERS AND DUTIES COMMON TO CITIES AND TOWNS INCORPORATED UNDER GENERAL OR SPECIAL LAWS

NRS 268.418 Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of firearms in city in county whose population is 400,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no city may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

2. The governing body of a city may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.

3. If the governing body of a city in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the governing body shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:

(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the city before registration of such a firearm is required.

(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the city upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:

(a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.

(b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

(c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.

(Added to NRS by 1989, 652; A 2007, 1289)

and

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-244.html#NRS244Sec364

NRS 244.364 Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of certain firearms in county whose population is 400,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

2. A board of county commissioners may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.

3. If a board of county commissioners in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the board of county commissioners shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:

(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.

(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:

(a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.

(b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

(c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.

(Added to NRS by 1989, 652; A 2007, 1289)

Any concealed carry permit that is valid in the rest of Nevada is also valid in Clark County/Las Vegas - and open carry without a permit is legal as well.

Not true at all. If you have a permit that is recognized by Nevada, it is good throughout the state. This isn't NYS and NYC. Just don't go where you shouldn't while you are carrying, and you will be fine (assuming Nevada does recognize Missouri).

The person from Montana probably has a Clark County permit because Nevada does not recognize Montana permits (not true in the reverse).

Thanks! Now I know I am safe to carry in Clark County along with the rest of the state. I also checked on handgunlawus and could find nothing either about this.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back