CC in church

PackingPastor

I know GA law says no CC in church, but does that mean only during worship services or other times people are gathered, or does that mean anytime? If a Pastor is a CCW permit holder, can he carry during the week in the office when no one but the staff is there?

I'm would imagine the "don't carry in a church" trumps everything else. Plus it's uber restrictive. I believe it prohibits having a firearm in your car, anywhere on church property, and I believe a court case extended the ban a couple hundred of feet off church property.

Needs to be repealed.

I know this is about GA, but here in louisiana, Jindal (Gov), recently passed a law that allows carry in church, but it's up to the head clergy. That's how it is laid out in the bill. You can carry if the head clergy (preacher, priest, rabbi etc) allows the CC. I attend a Methodist church, and the week after this bill was passed, our bishop released a statement about this law and said some really borderline ignorant/naive things. In fact, he actually said he was more comfortable with a criminal busting into the church with a gun than a pistol packing preacher. I had to read it three times to believe someone would actually say such a thing. I have yet to respond to him about his statement because it still angers me that this was said. So, our preacher was definitely against CC in our church. Times are tough, and another church just down the road had their Sunday collection taken at knifepoint three sundays ago. So I do feel completely naked not carrying in church, and just hope nothing bad happens.

I know GA law says no CC in church, but does that mean only during worship services or other times people are gathered, or does that mean anytime? If a Pastor is a CCW permit holder, can he carry during the week in the office when no one but the staff is there?

Unfortunately... "places of worship" are strictly off limits (O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127)...
Fortunately... there is a parking lot exception..
(d) Subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply:

(3) To a weapon or long gun possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle and such vehicle is parked in a parking facility.

Regarding this being repealed... GeorgiaCarry.Org currently has a lawsuit pending regarding this issue...
GeorgiaCarry.Org Inc. v. State of Georgia regarding carry ban in Places of Worship

Here is a link to Georgia Gun laws for you to review...
Link Removed

Move to florida, 3 of our staff members carry and we have a group of men that specifically volunteer to be sitting on the front row carrying in case someone loses their mind

not sure about GA... i live in MI, and here u r good with pastor's permission. our pastor carries, and so do i...
during service... i love my church!! ;)

He or any of us can carry everywhere, anywhere we are. You simply get a concealable handgun, good holster and whoala. I don't care if you are going into a bank, a church, a school, walmart, gas station, to work, a friends house, ball game or if you are going to a pet store you CAN carry. Maybe I've had a concealed handgun on me when I've gone through and into NY city, NJ, IL, any number of places you "cannot", and maybe I haven't for the purpose of this public forum. We all CAN and SHOULD carry everywhere. It's not like we are going to pull it out and wave it around to announce our CCW status (which would effectively end the first "C" in "CCW"). After all, if you have a LIFE THREATENING encounter, would you rather succomb to your death or dismemberment or would you rather be arrested for having a gun in a church? Seriously.

Move to florida, 3 of our staff members carry and we have a group of men that specifically volunteer to be sitting on the front row carrying in case someone loses their mind

I would recommend at least two of them sitting in the back row, with one remaining in front, for two reasons: First, the 'crap' that may happen in the pews will NOT be behind all of them. Second, they will have a vast majority of 'crap', if it happens, in front of them. Kinda like why we do not sit in restaurants or such with our backs to the door. ...You don't, do you?

I know this is about GA, but here in louisiana, Jindal (Gov), recently passed a law that allows carry in church, but it's up to the head clergy. That's how it is laid out in the bill. You can carry if the head clergy (preacher, priest, rabbi etc) allows the CC. I attend a Methodist church, and the week after this bill was passed, our bishop released a statement about this law and said some really borderline ignorant/naive things. In fact, he actually said he was more comfortable with a criminal busting into the church with a gun than a pistol packing preacher. I had to read it three times to believe someone would actually say such a thing. I have yet to respond to him about his statement because it still angers me that this was said. So, our preacher was definitely against CC in our church. Times are tough, and another church just down the road had their Sunday collection taken at knifepoint three sundays ago. So I do feel completely naked not carrying in church, and just hope nothing bad happens.

Sad. That's all I'm gunna say. Sad.

I know this is about GA, but here in louisiana, Jindal (Gov), recently passed a law that allows carry in church, but it's up to the head clergy. That's how it is laid out in the bill. You can carry if the head clergy (preacher, priest, rabbi etc) allows the CC.

Its the same here in Michigan, our church pastor and our regional overseer took the CPL training with us and are writing statements to allow some of us to carry. They plan on packing in the pulpit. Churches are getting robbed to and a law abiding people we need to use wisdom to be able to protect ourselves and our family. Some bad guys think that a church is an easy target that church people will not shoot at them, I know for a fact that if some bad guy storms into our church he will be filled like swiss cheese and our pastor will go from preaching a sermon to preaching a funeral!

In Ohio you have to have permission from the church.... I still carry no matter what...usually on an ankle rig so there's no chance of accidental printing or exposure when reaching you hands high in the air or sitting down...

A church is a high targeted area for a religious extremist active shooter... The group of guys I train with all attend the same church and we have rehearsed different scenarios

Scott, i just moved to GA from FL. Scott, I NEVER sit in a restaurant with my back to the door. My wife teases me about it. I don't want to break the law, but I disagree with the law that prohibits CC in church. When I was in FL, I ALWAYS encouraged/urged my CCW members to CC in church! Bruce, thanks for the quote and links.

Scott, i just moved to GA from FL. TUTS (I meant to say), I NEVER sit in a restaurant with my back to the door. My wife teases me about it. I don't want to break the law, but I disagree with the law that prohibits CC in church. When I was in FL, I ALWAYS encouraged/urged my CCW members to CC in church! Bruce, thanks for the quote and links.

I said "Scott" twice by mistake.

This seems to be the answer to my original question (at least a limited answer):

Before concluding the Second Amendment analysis, the Court will also briefly address Plaintiff Wilkins’s contention that the statute is unconstitutional because it prevents him from keeping a firearm in his office at the Tabernacle. As with the home worship question, the Court does not reach the issue of whether such application of the statute would be unconstitutional because the statute does not prohibit Plaintiff Wilkins from keeping a firearm in his office at the church.
Although the statute generally prohibits persons with valid Georgia Weapons Licenses from carrying a firearm in a place of worship, the statute also provides that the prohibition on carrying in the unauthorized locations listed in subsection (b) does not apply to, inter alia, “a license holder who approaches security or management personnel upon arrival . . . and notifies such security or management personnel of the presence of the weapon . . . and explicitly follows the security of management personnel’s direction for removing, securing, storing, or temporarily surrendering such weapon.” O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127(d)(2). As a result, the statute would allow Wilkins to keep a firearm in his office if he obtained permission from security or management personnel of the Tabernacle and kept it secured or stored as directed. If management or security personnel at the Tabernacle, which presumably includes Wilkins as CEO, did not grant him permission to secure or store a firearm in his office, then that would be at their discretion. Plaintiffs do not argue, however, that they possess a constitutional right to carry a firearm onto private property against the wishes of the owner or controller of the property.

btw Pastor....

There are also a couple of pieces of legislation that we are watching -

One adds license holders to the list of exempt persons, another removes places for worship from the list of restricted places altogether. GCO is watching/supporting/working with the General Assembly toward these ends (at a minimum.... there's ALWAYS more work to be done - but they're chipping away at it constantly)

well i live in ohio and our preacher allows us to care open or concealed. he carries and so does most of the men's group i'm part of. our church is in kind of a bad area and our being armed has stopped one mugging already. we were leaving services and a few friends and i were headed to lunch and then a pick up game of baseball when we saw a guy holding a knife trying to take a woman's purse. well one of my friends called the cops while the rest of us just walked over with our hands on our guns (i was the only one who drew) and ordered him to the ground. the whole time he was yelling "please don't shoot me" cops came, arrested him, took our statements, and he ended up convicted of attepted aggervated robbery. that is why chuch carry is importent.

Oklahoma is working on adding churches to the "Castle Domain" which simply means one would have the "Right" to Defend oneself, family and friends while attending church. Currently I am not aware of any ban on CC in Oklahoma churches. The only ban in Oklahoma is Government property and educational property or any establishment that properly posts a "No Weapons" sign on their front door. We have one restaurant that has a sign inside that says you cannot bring a gun into their place of business because they serve beer/alcohol. Since food is their primary business and there is no legal posting on the entrance door, this sign is basically worthless.. Of course if properly concealed..nuff said. I carry at church. Statistically one is more likely to be injured by violence in church than by fire and every public place is required to have working and inspected fire extinguishers. Go figure. Also look up "Gatekeepers" in Ezekiel.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back