CC in banks & hospitals

PackingPastor

From everything I've read, I can't find any reason NOT to CC in either; however, Kennestone Hospital in Marietta, GA, has the following signs posted ONLY at their ER entrance:Link RemovedLink Removed
Anyone have any knowledge or opinion to share? Notice the law ID is slightly different in each sign. The only thing I can figure is that this used to be the law, but it got repealed, and no one at the hospital bothered to take down the signs.

CC in banks & hospitals

Banks and hospitals are private property so they have the right to make their own rules. But not being from Georgia I can't speak to whether current or former laws actually forbid weapons in healthcare facilities or banks. Sounds kinda out there to me but not impossible.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127
(a) As used in this Code section, the term:
(1) 'Bar' means an establishment that is devoted to the serving of alcoholic beverages for
consumption by guests on the premises and in which the serving of food is only incidental to the
consumption of those beverages, including, but not limited to, taverns, nightclubs, cocktail
lounges, and cabarets.
(2) 'Courthouse' means a building occupied by judicial courts and containing rooms in which judicial
proceedings are held.
(3) 'Government building' means:
(A) The building in which a government entity is housed;
(B) The building where a government entity meets in its official capacity; provided, however,
that if such building is not a publicly owned building, such building shall be considered a
government building for the purposes of this Code section only during the time such
government entity is meeting at such building; or
(C) The portion of any building that is not a publicly owned building that is occupied by a
government entity.
(4) 'Government entity' means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body,
division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation,
consolidated government, or local board of education within this state.
(5) 'Parking facility' means real property owned or leased by a government entity, courthouse, jail,
prison, place of worship, or bar that has been designated by such government entity, courthouse,
jail, prison, place of worship, or bar for the parking of motor vehicles at a government building or
at such courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar.
(b) A person shall be guilty of carrying a weapon or long gun in an unauthorized location and punished
as for a misdemeanor when he or she carries a weapon or long gun while:
(1) In a government building;
(2) In a courthouse;
(3) In a jail or prison;
(4) In a place of worship;
(5) In a state mental health facility as defined in Code Section 37-1-1 which admits individuals on an
involuntary basis for treatment of mental illness, developmental disability, or addictive disease;
provided, however, that carrying a weapon or long gun in such location in a manner in
compliance with paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of this Code section shall not constitute a
violation of this subsection;
(6) In a bar, unless the owner of the bar permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license
holders;
(7) On the premises of a nuclear power facility, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.2, and
the punishment provisions of Code Section 16-11-127.2 shall supersede the punishment
provisions of this Code section; or
(8) Within 150 feet of any polling place, except as provided in subsection (i) of Code Section 21-2-
(c) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1, a license holder or person recognized under subsection
(e) of Code Section 16-11-126 shall be authorized to carry a weapon as provided in Code Section 16-11-
135 and in every location in this state not listed in subsection (b) of this Code section; provided, however,
that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement,
licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the
right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section
16-11-135. A violation of subsection (b) of this Code section shall not create or give rise to a civil action
for damages.
(d) Subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply:
(1) To the use of weapons or long guns as exhibits in a legal proceeding, provided such weapons or
long guns are secured and handled as directed by the personnel providing courtroom security or
the judge hearing the case;
(2) To a license holder who approaches security or management personnel upon arrival at a location
described in subsection (b) of this Code section and notifies such security or management
personnel of the presence of the weapon or long gun and explicitly follows the security or
management personnel's direction for removing, securing, storing, or temporarily surrendering
such weapon or long gun; and
(3) To a weapon or long gun possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a
motor vehicle or is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked
container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle and such vehicle is parked in a
parking facility.

So from what I gather, 16-11-127 only prohibits firearms in a 'State Mental Health' facility, not any other kind of medical facility, and there is also no mention of banks. The upper sign has the correct designation for the law regarding places you can't carry, I'm guessing the lower sign just transposed a - in place of the 2 as 16-11-1-7 does not exist.

There is no mention of banks and I see no reason you shouldn't be able to carry in a bank.

Signs also do not have force of law in Georgia so you should technically be OK to conceal carry there, but, they are private property and it is their right to deny the presence of weapons if they so choose. And if they ask you to leave you had better comply.

Banks are fine, Hospitals Ive CC in, when my Son was born, forgot to take the gun off. I can OC there if I want, but dont feel the need to be harassed by Security. Mind you, CC in Hospitals in Michigan is illegal, so if its posted, I wouldnt, unless your exempt.

as far as I know (I'm a GA resident) that sign carries no force of law. They can, of course ask you to leave if you are discovered, and they might have metal detectors/pat downs, but it's up to them to enforce. If it's a private hospital the sign is just a suggestion.

the ONLY places where you're comitting a crime by carrying are : jail, Courthouse, School (except when picking up or dropping off kids), Church, Government building, Nuclear Plant, State mental health facility (where the state commits the criminally insane and houses wards of the state....in otherwords facilities that hold people who aren't there voluntarily, like jail) and a bar (where alcohol sales make up the majority of the revenue, unless the owner gives you permission - restaurants with bars are ok)

banks are totally fine, as are parts of airports that are not secured by the TSA.

I know A LOT of people who carry in church. Many of them are part of a volunteer "security" detail, but some just carry for their own protection, and most members of the church know....none of them have had any problems.

It could be possible that a portion of that hospitable is dedicated to mental health services. Therefor, according to the above mentioned statute they have found a loop-hole to prevent you from carrying into the facility. I wouldn't want to be a test case in court.

What is with these anti-gun states.

You can't carry in a local government town hall? Gezzzz, in NYS we have citizens and councilmen that carry during Town meetings.

I'd rather have 7 on my hip than 30 in the car.

But the sign references a GA state statute, and that would give it the force of law. A gunbuster sign in a business doesn't have the force of law, at least in NC.

Church needs a 'security detail' :blink:

But the sign references a GA state statute, and that would give it the force of law. A gunbuster sign in a business doesn't have the force of law, at least in NC.

Church needs a 'security detail' :blink:

16-11-127 only applies to state mental health institutions where people are involuntarily committed. the other statute painted on the door does not exist.

quoting statues doesn't automatically make them apply....of course if the place IS a state mental health facility....then yes it applies.

I'm not sure what happens if PART of the building is used for the purpose. According to the statue only parts that are part of the mental health facility (presumably there would be some kind of security system in place as the facility holds people who were INVOLUNTARILY committed) would be subject, not the whole facility.

Check with a lawyer or see if someone on Georgiapacking.org might shed some light on it.

Despite the recent rediculous mag restrictions law in NYS, there are still no laws against carry in a bank, hospital, bar, restaurant, physician office, psych center, public building (other than fed), church, public transportation, etc. Only schools are restricted. Why do these laws exist in supposedly "gun friendly" states? Isn't a law forbidding carry among the strictest of gun control?

It could be possible that a portion of that hospitable is dedicated to mental health services. Therefor, according to the above mentioned statute they have found a loop-hole to prevent you from carrying into the facility. I wouldn't want to be a test case in court.

you are quoting fla law, other states have different laws

you are quoting fla law, other states have different laws

yup. By GA law, when a government agency takes residence on private property only the portion that the agency occupies is subject to the "no carry" law, not the entire property. Now...if that hospital is owned/run by the state or a state university or something maybe they can enforce the law.

I'd just take my healthcare business elsewhere.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back