CC body armor/ BP vests

scdapmp

I started looking into body armor and it got me thinking how many of you guys wear it?
There are so many manufactures and different styles.

What kinds and level of protection do you use?

II, IIA, IIIA, III or IV

body armor

I believe that most concealed carry people will find body armor to hot, and cumbersome to wear on a regular basis unless you reside in a cold climate. For those that have never worn body armor it is like wearing an insluated vest under your shirt and in warmer climates, such as the one I live in, will find your t shirt soaked with persperation after just a couple hour of wear. You can get accustomed to the daily wear by it is definately not comfortable. It is good to have for those occasions when you suspect that things could get dangerious. Full coverage is a lot hotter than the vest that does not offer side protection, but you trade off some comfort for protection. Only you can decide how much coverages is enough. If you live in a cold climate it is a lot easier to get in the habit of wearing it on a daily basis. I carry a vest behind the seat of my vehicle so, if I have just a little warning I can slip it on and go forth to deal with the problems.This is not an ideal situation but it is a comprimise, like many things in life.
If you are going to spend money on body armor, which ever style and protection level you choose, go with new instead of used as body armor deteriates over time and you do not know if the previous owner of used body armor abuse it or not, and new smells a lot better.

Be safe.

I have to agree with Magistrate PO. I have worn body armor on a regular basis and have to say that during the summer months I was always dreading having to get out of the A/C car to check a building or respond to a call. During the winter months, I was alway happy that I had the the vest as it was "extra" insulation. :sarcastic:

You might want to check your local laws on this. I know around here it is illegal for a civvie to wear body armor. There are some exceptions but they are few and far between.

thanks for the info. Looks like the best plan is buy new and two different vest, light weight and heavy duty.

You might want to check your local laws on this. I know around here it is illegal for a civvie to wear body armor. There are some exceptions but they are few and far between.

I know it's like that here in Ohio. The LEO friends I have say it is a no-no!. Now, having it @ home for the mrs to throw on & protect herself & the baby is something else.

Regardless of what the law says, if an LEO finds out that you're carrying and wearing body armor, he could make your life very difficult. In most jurisdictions, it is illegal to wear body armor while in the commission of a felony (for the life of me I can't figure out why; if you're committing a felony, what difference does it make whether you're wearing body armor?). Besides, I worked as a security officer for two years and body armor is very uncomfortable. In the summer, in addition to being too tight and restricting your movement, it's hot as heck. In the wintertime, most of the discomfort is due just to the tight fit. As soon as I got home, my vest was always the first thing I took off. I couldn't imagine wearing it outside of work, ever.

I've found that a properly fitted vest worn with the proper undergarments (they make shirts that have ventilation ribs, or undergarments like "Under Armor" work great), minimize discomfort while maximizing protection.

Find a design that fits your body type and is comfortable to wear. If you're not wearing your vest, then it won't do you much good.

There are several sources for body armor. Shop around online and you should be able to find a good deal.

gf

In most jurisdictions, it is illegal to wear body armor while in the commission of a felony (for the life of me I can't figure out why; if you're committing a felony, what difference does it make whether you're wearing body armor?).

I've thought about that myself. The best reason I can think of is just to make one more charge against the felon.

I own a level 3A vest but I rarely wear it. I keep the vest beside my bed or in my truck ready to be used if needed.

Seems like for fashionable ballistic protection, the Israelis are a good place to start :) I am waiting for mine in the mail - I'll let you know how I like it -

Link Removed

Last edited:
I have mixed thoughts on wearing body armor - but for different reasons. I have worked as a security officer for over 20 + years. Of course, while working I wear it religiously. Off duty is something else. I do not go into high crime areas off the clock as I have no reason to. that being said, I have worn it off the clock simply due to the fact that the day of errends had a risk to them - picking up large sum of money at the bank for a purchase or something to that effect. Please think about this - if a BG will shoot and kill a gas station clerk over 20 bucks in the till, what do you think they will do to you if they happen to see you at the bank putting a few hundred or more into your wallet? Generally, I dont wear it off the clock.

That being said - as the otherposts sugest - there are things to think about. For example - is it legal for you to wear/possess body armor where you live? The weather conditions should also be considered (assuming you are not a LEO) . there are many different type sof body armor out there. Design and fit are two thing to look at. The threat level of the armor is another. As a general rule, IIa should do just fine. Higher than that and you are talking assault rifle stopping power and as a civilian, is unlikely for you to encounter.

Keep looking around but first and formost - check the legalities of it first for where you live. That may make the choice for you.

Good luck to you :biggrin:

I have had body armor since the riots in LA, provided by the newspaper I used to work for, so I'm somewhat familiar with the subject. Level IIIA will protect up to .44 mag and that is what I have. Mine is Spectra not Kevlar and both have their features. If you want to be protected against rifle fire you'll need at least level III, but there is one thing most people don't think about and that is blunt force trauma. If you aren't of substantial build and in good health that can kill you even though you are wearing a vest. Just a thought.

I have had body armor since the riots in LA, provided by the newspaper I used to work for, so I'm somewhat familiar with the subject. Level IIIA will protect up to .44 mag and that is what I have. Mine is Spectra not Kevlar and both have their features. If you want to be protected against rifle fire you'll need at least level III, but there is one thing most people don't think about and that is blunt force trauma. If you aren't of substantial build and in good health that can kill you even though you are wearing a vest. Just a thought.

If you've had your vest since the LA riots, I strongly recommend you check the pull date on your armor plates. All soft body armor expires. Kevlar lasts longer than Spectra.

gf

If you've had your vest since the LA riots, I strongly recommend you check the pull date on your armor plates. All soft body armor expires. Kevlar lasts longer than Spectra.gf

Where did you get your statistics about Kevlar vs. Spectra? I have had the vest since then but have only had it on 3 or 4 times since then and only one time for a full day. It has been stored in a protective case all this time and for the last 10 years here in New Mexico, a very dry and pollution free (at least in the northern region where I live) climate.

Where did you get your statistics about Kevlar vs. Spectra? I have had the vest since then but have only had it on 3 or 4 times since then and only one time for a full day. It has been stored in a protective case all this time and for the last 10 years here in New Mexico, a very dry and pollution free (at least in the northern region where I live) climate.

We had a local LEO killed in the line of duty. Though he was shot in an area not protected by the Spectra vest, during the investigation, they discovered that his vest had deteriorated faster than the expiration date (as printed on the armor plates), and would not have provided adequate protection if he did get shot in the vest.

Proper storage is important, however the expiration dates on the plates are there for a reason. Being that your life could literally be at stake, I'd sooner replace the armor plates than use them past the expiration date. Some companies have an actual expiration date, others have a xx years from the date of issue type expiration date.

Stay safe!

gf

We had a local LEO killed in the line of duty. Though he was shot in an area not protected by the Spectra vest, during the investigation, they discovered that his vest had deteriorated faster than the expiration date (as printed on the armor plates), and would not have provided adequate protection if he did get shot in the vest.

Proper storage is important, however the expiration dates on the plates are there for a reason. Being that your life could literally be at stake, I'd sooner replace the armor plates than use them past the expiration date. Some companies have an actual expiration date, others have a xx years from the date of issue type expiration date.

Stay safe!gf

My vest only has a date of issue and no mention of the expiration date. I also have an older Kevlar vest that was used by my, at the time, local police department (I donated my vest to them to test against the Spectra that my newspaper was doing a story on -they were buying me a new Spectra vest anyway) and that one did have an expiration date. I will be calling the manufacturer on Monday to see what they say about the expiration of the vest.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back