CBP outlaws knifes?

S&WM&P40

I come across a article that the CBP ( Customs and Boarder Patrol ) Is going to change their ruling on Assisted opening knifes. They are now going to lump assisted knifes in with switch blades and pass bans on them. Any one hear anything on it? I found latter that people want you to copy and send to CBP and other people in office.

Please bear with us as this site is currently in a state of transition...

Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Bookmark and Share
U.S. Customs and Border Protection Go After Knives
Reposted from: Link Removed

June 15, 2009 @ 9:21 am
Nutnfancy
June 14, 2009

U.S. Customs and Border Protection want to classify your folding knife as a switchblade.

TNP Call to Action: CBP Outlaws Knives

U.S. Customs and Border Protection Office,
Attn: International Trade Regulations and Rulings,
Mint Annex,
799 9th Street,
N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20229//

Attn: Intellectual Property and Restricted Merchandise Branch//

Commissioner Ahern,

I have become aware that CBP is revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives (that require manual manipulation to deploy!) are NOT switchblades. Since many courts and legislative bodies rely upon these CBP knife definitions, this revised ruling will have broad and unintended consequences. Your re-definition of these folding knives will create foolish bureaucracy and regulation, criminalize millions of good people, create more economic hardship by destroying the knife and tool industry (and the military/LE access to these items as well), and in the end will only lessen public safety.

• Knives are already highly regulated with current laws, both on national and local levels. Millions of good people across the country use folding knives for duty, utility tasks, outdoors activities, emergency services, rescue operations, and for legal defensive purposes. This CBP interpretation burdens law enforcement and will instantly criminalize about 40 million good people. It is very unlikely anyone would dispose of any knives and it will create unnecessary enmity between citizenry and government.

• The economy is failing. And yet your ruling will make it worse. The outlawing of assisted opening AND most other folding knives with this ruling will destroy a thriving industry that employs thousands upon thousands of people. This is an industry that only needs to be left alone to succeed. And for years, succeed they have despite tremendous economic challenges. It is also this knife and tool industry that supplies these items to our armed forces and law enforcement officers. The CBP ruling will crush it and lead us further towards a full-on economic Depression. The military and police will have nowhere to turn for their knives then. Is this what you want?

• A knife is a viable and legal defensive tool, often carried by reasonable and good people. This CBP revocation is a capricious assault of these defensive and utility tools legally used by millions of Americans. Like a firearm, these tools should enjoy the same Constitutional protections (arms) and the bad guys will always have such items and they always have. It is only the law abiding citizen that will be felonized by this assault on knife possession. Again, is this what you want and is this good law?

• With this re-definition, most folding knives will be interpreted as illegal despite the smokescreen of disinformation your office seems to be dispensing over this issue. This re-definition of switchblades is far reaching and carries the aforementioned political and societal liabilities. It will do nothing to increase public safety. At the very least, this matter should be open to public commentary for 120 days. Please extend this feedback period and open up the option for emailed responses. More to the point, I feel this issue will be a political liability for your office and I urge you to ABANDON this ruling immediately. For the record then, I FULLY oppose your offices actions re-classifying these knives as switchblades. I will thank you for adhering to previous switchblade definitions and in doing so you will gain my political support of your office again.

this is wrong on so many levels

I understand the whole push a button knife comes open concept but this will put an end to many other non switchblade knives. These MORONS need to stop before the public wakes up and deals with them in the next series of elections...Oh that's right...they weren't elected..they are Govt employees.

LOL i know right. Now keep in mind the change in law would make it illegal for you to carry a assisted open knife or any knife that can be opened with one hand. You can still own them in your state if state law allows it but if you carry it over a state line then by Federal law they can charge you with trafficking. That's what i have read and have been told not sure if it's true or not.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back