Catridge ejecting at me

CDR_Glock

Glock 23
I have a ParaOrdnance P-14 it loads without issues and is very accurate. However, some of the cartridges eject at me - occassionally hitting me on the forehead, my shooting glasses and into the front of my shirt.

This happens independent of load (FMJ or Jhp). It happens with Weaver and Isosceles stances.

What is going on? What can I do to fix it?

How many rounds have you fired? My new M&P did that for the first 200 rounds or so but once it got broken in it no longer did it. Once in a while it will eject one right over my head but I think it's more my poor grip than it is the gun. But you may want to check for crud build up underneath your extractor just in case.

It's the ejector, extractor or a worn recoil spring. It's not that big a deal (I'm left handed, I get hit by brass ALL the time from nearly every pistol I shoot). The most disconcerting thing that can happen is a piece of brass land behind your ear like a pencil because you are wearing ear plugs instead of the headphone type hearing protection. (That was done to me by a Colt Series 70 Combat Commander in 9mm.) I still have the scar from that one.

I have a burn on my chest from one of the shells. I didn't think much of it, when it flew into my shirt. However, after a couple of hours it must have bubbled up.

I have a burn on my chest from one of the shells. I didn't think much of it, when it flew into my shirt. However, after a couple of hours it must have bubbled up.
CDR, wear a bikini top to catch those fliers. You know how much brass costs these days?

You guys are too damn funny.

It's just not a SD unless I get resolution. It may get replaced by a Glock 45 ACP.

Try locking your wrist a little more when you fire. You may be limp wristing it a little and that will cause the brass to come back at you.

More than likely it's your ejector or the recoil spring. If the ejector is broken, worn (shortened) or the recoil spring is not giving enough resistance, you can get the casing to the forehead or chest. Ain't fun. But keeps you from having to pick up your brass when it goes down your shirt. So what the hell are you complainin' about there CDR?

My Baby Eagle throws brass in every direction. The only bad one was the one that landed right on the top rim of my glasses, wedged next to my eyebrow. I almost dropped the gun. :wacko:

During basic training, I ignored the order to button up our shirts. A red hot .45 acp brass found it's way inside my shirt. In pain, I started waving 1911 around like a man in pain. My finger was in the trigger guard. I swept the range officer with the pistol. He was a CPO.
This older Chief Petty Officer made sure I received a very intense, and very through training session regarding following orders, and firearms safety.
I will never forget.

I have a ParaOrdnance P-14 it loads without issues and is very accurate. However, some of the cartridges eject at me - occassionally hitting me on the forehead, my shooting glasses and into the front of my shirt.

This happens independent of load (FMJ or Jhp). It happens with Weaver and Isosceles stances.

What is going on? What can I do to fix it?

Try to look at the ejector if it too short, you have to replace it. Standard length: use a fine file (leatherman wave) slowly file it at 45 degree angle not straight , so the tip of the ejector is a little bit wedge.

I agree with making certain that you keep a firm hold on your weapon.

Beyond that, I was able to fix a similar problem on mine (after about 3,000 rounds) by detail stripping the slide and cleaning the ejector and that part on the slide into which it fits.

I was quite surprised at how much powder residue had packed itself in and around the ejector. Not enough to cause failure to eject, but I do know that after I cleaned it up, that ended the problem with brass bouncing off my forehead and ears.

My armorer guru just called with the same problem on a Colt 1911 he remodeled and was test firing. He is ordering a new bar because he said the old one is badly worn. Can not wait to get my baby back to "pet" it some. LOL, will button my shirt till the new pin is in. Love to save brass but do not want to be digging them out of my blistered belly button.

My wife got one down the front of her shirt during training at Frontsite. I damn near tackled her cause she started yelling and hopping around. I caught her shooting arm or she woulda muzzled the whole dang lot of us. After that, she buttoned up tight.

Almost saw that kind of dangerous action when a casing landed on a recruit's neck. He jumped up but the PA was on him nearly instantly.

As others here have mentioned, check the ejector and recoil springs, but with a 3000 round count the spring should not be an issue. Perhaps the ejector is cracked or broken.
The other item is grip, are you not locking otherwise know a limp wristing?

Steve

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back