Casings: aluminum vs. brass vs. steel

nca_mm

Aside from the obvious of brass being the best to reload, what are the pros & cons of each? Go!

Aluminum nor steel can be reloaded. Neither removes heat from the chamber as efficiently as brass. Steel also fails to remove debris as effectively as softer materials. Depending on on what your chamber and/or receiver are made of steel may damage your firearm.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Steel Ammo

I have been cycling steel ammo through my glock for a couple months now. I'm just really looking for ammo my glock can't handle, but i cant say i have run into to many problems with jamming or FF/FE. Accuracy is where i see the biggest difference. They are cheap rounds, so i dont expect to be able to shoot a fly with it. However, if your practicing on a budget, you can't really beat $9.87 for 50 rounds of 9mm at Wally World.

Brass has the ability to expand when the powder burns to make the hot gas to expell the bullet. That expansion makes a better seal to prevent hot gases from passing around the case back at the shooter. That (inconsistent pressure) may be one of the reasons they are not as consistent for target shooting, but that's just my guess,

Interesting.... as a Dealer.... most steel I have found is from Russia under the Wolf brand. However, to have something to shoot rather than having nothing at all, I will try the steel and they are at least available for a decent price. Another factor to consider how the steel is treated - poly coating or lacquer coating? The poly is best in my opinion as compared to the lacquer. Heat is treated better with poly than lacquer.

They've pretty much covered it. Brass is reloadable with makes it the only option in my book. If you can get 5 reloads out of one price of brass it makes it well cheaper than steel or aluminum. It addition brass is more malleable with does a few things more you. Since it fire forms and seals chamber, you get higher velocities and less gas/carbon in the action or back in your face. I would personally never shoot lacquered steel in my guns. That crap will gum up the action quickly if your gun gets too hot.

Hi, I really appreciate the input, yet some will swear to me that Steel is fine. However, I personally don't have much experience with Steel, I prefer Brass myself. I like the lubricating qualities of brass as well as the re-loading ability for brass casings.

If you're just plinking with a $300 Bulgarian AK, sure steel will work fine. I wouldn't run it through a quality AR though. And if you reload, brass is cheaper than steel anyways.

Once fired brass for my SKS 7.62x39 costs $.10/round more than loaded steel imported ammo. Other calibers I always buy Brass.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back