carrying in car question

DHughes757

I live in FL. When I am driving to and from wherever I often will remove my Glock 23 from my holster where I carry at 3 o'clock and place it on the floorboard by my feet. I have a nice tuckable place that is easy to get to. FL law says that a gun has to be securely in a zipped or locked case/ glove compartment or unloaded etc. in the car. I do have my CCW so I'm wondering if I'm in danger of getting busted at that point for not carrying properly in my vehicle. If I had it in my holster then the gun wouldn't be in a locked place. Just curious about legality. DHughes

It should be legal.

790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.—
(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.

However, 790.01 does not apply to a CCW license holder anyway:

790.01 Carrying concealed weapons.—
(3) This section does not apply to a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon or a concealed firearm pursuant to the provisions of s. 790.06.

Most likely different strokes for different states' folks. Fl law makes sense. The little CC "if" on having it just on say the floor of your car makes absolute sense. Check me if I am wrong but I do not believe this is the case in SC and probably many other states. I just adjust my CC on my person to fit my position in car so I am always in tune with law; if for some reason, you are confronted somehow on the road and if your firearm is just on the floor of your car, when you get out of car you are now "brandishing"---where does that fit into the equation in Fl?

Just a question. I also carry a glock 23 and carry at 5 O'clock. I think it would be more comfortable to carry at 3 O'clock but cant seem to find a cc holster that will acomidate me. What type of holster do you use?

Having a Florida CCW exempts you from your aformentioned restrictions. You may carry your pistol in your vehicle any way you want, loaded or unloaded, as long as it's not readily visible to those outside your car (i.e. concealed).

Most likely different strokes for different states' folks. Fl law makes sense. The little CC "if" on having it just on say the floor of your car makes absolute sense. Check me if I am wrong but I do not believe this is the case in SC and probably many other states. I just adjust my CC on my person to fit my position in car so I am always in tune with law; if for some reason, you are confronted somehow on the road and if your firearm is just on the floor of your car, when you get out of car you are now "brandishing"---where does that fit into the equation in Fl?

Florida just decriminalized incidental displays of a concealed firearm. It's highly unlikely that there would be any legal repercussions if someone saw a pistol for a brief moment on the floor of a car, provided the owner of the pistol was properly licensed to carry.

With no license my issure would be being stopped by LEO and him seeing the weapon. Make sure you fully understand FL law.

Seems to me that, if you have a CWFL and carry concealed in FL, it would be a great idea to sit down and read the law or at least Gutmacher's book on Florida Firearms law. Lots in there you really do need to know and not go on just an impression - Such as where you can and can't carry, justified use of deadly force, etc. Included in this is the fact that the securely encased requirement does not apply to CWFL holders, although it must remain concealed (with brief inadvertent non-malicious display excepted).

Well if I remember correctly your gun has to be concealed at all times and why would you have the gun on the floor in the first place? if you remember the FBI shoot out even having it on the seat is not a good idea it should be in reach but also in a way that it won't slide around on or get knocked out of reach

I carry with the crossbreed super tuck. 3 o'clock is very easily concealable and is the most efficiently accessible when/if I need to get to it. I also carry appendix if I'm doing a lot of standing.

I have the gun tucked and secure but not in a holster or zipped container. I always am in control of my firearm. BTW

Hey B2: In reply to your comments, my thought on "brandishing" would really come up if you should be involved in some sort of road rage or altercation. You now are ready to get out of your car (assuming your car is blocked in or not working in which case your recommended move would have been to drive away) and want your firearm with you. If you could not drive well with the firearm in your holster, you probably cannot get it into the holster from the car floor in an efficient and quick manner and so you will be leaving your car with the firearm in your hand----that is brandishing. This is very different from having the firearm laying on the floor of the car and possibly visible if someone is really looking for it. Remember, at this point in time as you leave your car with your firearm in your hand, nothing has happened that requires presentation of a firearm.

A CCW Law Question

I have A CCW for TN, recently I traveled through NC, SC, GA. to FL. Prior to leaving I looked up each states governing laws. Try as I might I was still experiencing some confusion at the time of leaving so I went with what I thought I knew. Was stopped in SC and spent an hour along the road talking with a sheriff deputy. My question is has some one put out a book that puts the law language into langauge a "Regular Joe" can understand?

Myself I carry appendix never any trouble getting to the gun be I driving or just walking. By the way appendix carry is without a doubt the fastest way to get at your gun. Also don't let anyone tell you its more dangerous to carry that way. I've carried years like that. Here is the holster that I carry in Link Removed Dale makes the best holsters I've found

I am a LEO in FL. B2Tall is correct, you can carry your gun loaded as long as it is concealed. I don't recommend putting it under the seat while driving from a safety standpoint, it could slide under the pedals. + it's really hard to get to if God forbid you needed it. I purchase a plastic Fobus holster and mounted it to the side of my seat in my personal truck. it's concealed and I always can reach my off duty gun while driving. No use having it if you can't reach it. I carry a Glock 23 in a check 6 holster and would have a hard time reaching it while driving. ( seat belt and all ) If you get pulled over just point it out to the cop. worse that can happen is they ask you to step out of your car. Good luck be safe.

Last edited:
Just a question. I also carry a glock 23 and carry at 5 O'clock. I think it would be more comfortable to carry at 3 O'clock but cant seem to find a cc holster that will acomidate me. What type of holster do you use?
I use a kholster holster to carry a full size pistol, 3 o'clock with a forward cant. Very comfortable and completely concealed (no printing). I started carrying at 5 o'clock, but this was not comfortable sitting and hard to get at, I don't have these problems at 3 o'clock.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back