Carrying in a commercial vehicle question

If you insist on your position, you have been misinformed for 30 years, the only thing I could come up with is if you were a hired driver and your company did not allow guns, but if not or you were a owner/operator your good to go

Correct, there can be company policies etc... that it could be against, but no federal law.

I notice snowman was not able to come up with a citation to a law or regulation that backed up his claim. Typical.

Years of CDL A driving about a year with ccw and no cop sheriff or dot issues with my firearm. The company I first trained with told me the same crap about weapons. It turns out they just didn't like them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

I notice snowman was not able to come up with a citation to a law or regulation that backed up his claim. Typical.

I told you what I thought about you your butt should be thrown off the Forum
I have nothing to prove to a knuckle head punk that sits on forums calling people names as you did to me
fact is your an idiot and you can't help it, last time I'll respond to an idiot
I have 3 million miles logged, gun dealer 26 years, you want the truth stop in a scale next time your on the interstate go in ask the scalemaster
I know you can't be a truck driver so they will let you bring your car around back, it's ok punk

I told you what I thought about you your butt should be thrown off the Forum
I have nothing to prove to a knuckle head punk that sits on forums calling people names as you did to me
fact is your an idiot and you can't help it, last time I'll respond to an idiot
I have 3 million miles logged, gun dealer 26 years, you want the truth stop in a scale next time your on the interstate go in ask the scalemaster
I know you can't be a truck driver so they will let you bring your car around back, it's ok punk

I don't mean to argue and regardless of your opinion of NavyLCDR, many others have posted links to sources stating it is not illegal and you nor anyone else has been able to post a source saying it is illegal....

I don't mean to argue and regardless of your opinion of NavyLCDR, many others have posted links to sources stating it is not illegal and you nor anyone else has been able to post a source saying it is illegal....

He most certainly did post a source.... a scalemaster on the interstate! And what is really funny..... they aren't scalemasters.... they are weighmasters.

gun dealer 26 years

And the three biggest sources of misinformation regarding firearms laws continue to prove themselves to be LEO, CCW Instructors and gun shop employees (oh, excuse me, snowman is the OWNER).

Still waiting for the citation to the law that says it is illegal.

Not a citation, but multiple personal experiences from a fellow driver I know. I was not carrying when I was on the road, but a friend of mine who is also a truck driver does carry concealed while on the road. He has told me about a few times he has been pulled over. He has been pulled over by DOT and he has informed them he was carrying, no problems. He was once pulled over by a DOT officer who was training a new officer. The training officer told the trainee that he would meet a lot of drivers carrying. When my friend first got his CCDW license, he wasn't sure if he could carry in his truck. He was pulled over, he handed the officer his DL and his CCDW. The officer asked what he was carrying and my friend said he didn't have his firearm with him. The officer handed the CCDW license back and said, "This isn't going to do you any good." He once was pulled over by a city police officer, arrested for having the firearm. He was turned over to the Sheriffs department and the firearms charge was dropped because the city police officer didn't know the law. My next door neighbor is a city police officer, he says it is legal and he doesn't understand why any truck driver would not carry. This officer is in a city that deals with truck drivers and DOT everyday. Biggest thing here is to know the local and state laws where you are traveling. My friend would not carry in his truck when he knew he was going to Canada or states that did not reciprocate a KY CCDW license.

Link Removed

PHMSA Interpretation #06-0165

Aug 24, 2006

PHMSA Response Letter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aug 24, 2006

Mr. Richard B. Loden Reference No. 06-0165
3959 Chestnut Avenue
Concord, CA 94519

Dear Mr. Loden:

This responds to your letter regarding the applicability of the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171- 180) to the transportation of a loaded personal firearm lawfully carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator while in the performance of his or her duties. Specifically, you ask whether the transportation of
such a firearm is prohibited by the HMR under the “forbidden explosives” clause in
§ 173.54(f).

The answer to your question is no. Unless otherwise specified in § 173.54(f), a personal loaded or unloaded firearm lawfully carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator is not considered in commerce and therefore not subject to the HMR. Under this scenario, a commercial motor vehicle operator who carries a personal firearm while in the performance of his or her duties is subject to local or State jurisdiction regarding such matters. This response has been coordinated with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

I trust this satisfies your inquiry. Please contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Hattie L. Mitchell
Chief, Regulatory Review and Reinvention
Office of Hazardous Materials Standards

173.54(f)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member