Carrying crossdraw

A.Quigley

Started this week carrying in a crossdraw appendix spot. Found it to be a very comfortable position and easy to draw from. Plus I don't have to worry about bending over and printing like I did when I carried just behind my hip.
Anybody else like crossdraw?

I like it well enough. Like most methods of carry, it has it's strengths and weaknesses. No matter how many hours you practice, it does not allow for speed of draw and target acquisition like a draw from your dominant hip. But it makes a draw incredibly convenient from a crouch, or especially while driving. If the holster allows, I'll shift to a crossdraw for road trips, and I'll practice it every visit to the range. It's a valuable alternative, and if I'm going to use it ever, I want it to flow as natural as any other draw.

I used to carry this way when I was a new CCW. Then I started talking to many others, teaching and getting more experience. The feedback I got was that this method is much more dangereous - or less safe as you might say. When you draw you sweep your arm, possibly innocent people, start out by breaking 180 and maybe a few other things. I have not carried that way sinc. Was real disappointing too, this was my favorite when I was a kid playing cowboys and the way Wild Bill carried.... oh well, safety first.

It has the drawback of giving a person in front of you a ready firing grip on your weapon!

Your draw is also telegraphed for the world to see.

Is is great when carrying in a vehicle for some people.

-Doc

Originally carried IWB small of the back cross draw (in a holster that was meant for strong-side OWB.) Got an adjustable IWB that I now carry either at 5 o'clock "upside down" correct draw or 2-3 o'clock straight draw. Also have a "concealed carry" coat with an integral holster inside each side. It's impossible to use that holster strong-side, so I *HAVE* to holster it cross draw. I only do that when it's coat weather while traveling. Whenever I'm using the coat I also wear my IWB holster and switch to that when I remove my coat.

How does drawing it from a crossdraw telegraph anymore than from your hip? I carry mine about a hands width from my belt buckle on my left side. When I draw I barely move my left hand to pull the shirt up while my right hand moves just past center to grab the grip. If I carry just off my behind my right hip, my other mode of carry, then my left hand has to go way over to pull up my shirt and my right arm has to go way back to get on the grip. Hmmm?
Hadn't thought of it giving an attacker a good angle on the gun. Good point and one to consider. As far as the 180 is concerned if I draw it in a defensive situation then I'm not worring about 180. It's not like being at the range. Also I've never swept my left arm when drawing from this position I describe above. Can see where you would if you went futher back on your side with it though.
Thanks for your input.

I carry crossdraw all the time. I feel like I can draw with less motion than from strong side hip. Drawing from the hip means the right shoulder moves quite a bit. I just move my right hand past my belt buckle and draw, very little shoulder movement.

And ur non draw hand is in a easier position to lift a garment that is covering the gun. Love the crossdraw.

Looking to get a BUG. I will have this in a cross draw. A vest with a hidden holster should do well enough. A cross draw might be slower normally but I find myself in situations (i.e. driving) where it would be very difficult to draw with my current holstering. So, cross draw will not always be slower. Also, I can cross my arms casually, and have my hand on a gun without telegraphing my concern in a situation. In this scenario a cross draw with your hand on the gun might be faster than a strong side hip draw. Some draw backs :):) but some benefits. I guess that if people didn't like options there wouldn't be so many holsters on the market.

I recently read Ayoobs book, Concealed Carry, which is a great read. He talks about all types of carry. All methods of carry have there pro's and con's. If you feel that cross draw works best for you, by all means use it. I understand it is not welcome at most ranges/pistol classes as they are worried about you shooting somebody. I will no doubtedly get a lot of flak for this, But, If you finger is NOT on the trigger and you are not waving the gun around what is the big deal? Do guns just fire because you are drawing it? NO, they fire because YOU pull the trigger. So if you do your part it will be just as safe as the next method, That is how I see it. If this is the method that works for you use it.

I see the point of switching to cross-draw while driving...but, why not just unholster the gun and place it in a very accessible place in your vehicle...

I carry crossdraw concealed 1911 45. I like it, it's easy to conceal. I am aware of it all the time I have never had my gun seen by mistake. I am pretty fast at getting it out. I wear a usmc field jacket and it is hidden perfectly. I shoot every week at the range and use this holster and draw from it no problem. I drop back with my right leg and have my left leg forward, the draw is up and forward no sweep of anything except the target. If you stand sideways no problem you do a flatfoot both feet side by side it might but thats not the way I stand when I face trouble, do you? The old weaver stance! I use a stance like a boxer one foot forward and one back.

I recently read Ayoobs book, Concealed Carry, which is a great read. He talks about all types of carry. All methods of carry have there pro's and con's. If you feel that cross draw works best for you, by all means use it. I understand it is not welcome at most ranges/pistol classes as they are worried about you shooting somebody. I will no doubtedly get a lot of flak for this, But, If you finger is NOT on the trigger and you are not waving the gun around what is the big deal? Do guns just fire because you are drawing it? NO, they fire because YOU pull the trigger. So if you do your part it will be just as safe as the next method, That is how I see it. If this is the method that works for you use it.

Please do not take this as flak, just my take on it. Instructors teach students of all levels. Stuff happens. If your Students start putting holes in other students class attendance tends to drop off. If and when I go to cross draw I'll adapt what I have learned.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back