Carrying Concealed on Sschool property on the weekend

Bruce8585

My church has grown out of our building and we are currently renting an elementary school gym to meet in. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this kind of situation being an outside group using school facilities. Is there a way to legally carry strictly only on Sunday during our meetings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using USA Carry mobile app

Yea I would check this out with a instate NRA instructor. Although children would be there for after school functuons. So I would think logically- that you could not carry on the premises. A school is a school. Hope that helps

Sent from my SCH-I545 using USA Carry mobile app

Ask around at the local range, there is bound to be someone that is a state licensed instructor for either LEO or security officers. They would be the more logical and more knowledgeable choice besides a 2A friendly lawyer, but the lawyer may want compensation for their answer.

An NRA Instructor would not be the best to ask in this instance, as we are not supposed to discuss the legal aspect. Even in the PPITH and PPOTH we are required to bring in a lawyer, POST certified officer or a few other people, but limited to those having the knowledge of the law. That's my answer as an NRA instructor.

Yea I would check this out with a instate NRA instructor. Although children would be there for after school functuons. So I would think logically- that you could not carry on the premises. A school is a school. Hope that helps

Sent from my SCH-I545 using USA Carry mobile app
Best to consult a lawyer. An NRA instructor is not trained to teach the law. The NRA expressly forbids it's certified instructors to teach matters of law in an NRA class unless they're LE or and attorney.

Best to consult a lawyer. An NRA instructor is not trained to teach the law. The NRA expressly forbids it's certified instructors to teach matters of law in an NRA class unless they're LE or and attorney.
And, the three biggest sources of misinformation regarding firearms laws has historically proven themselves to be CCW instructors, LEOs, and gun shop employees, in no particular order.

Checking with local authorities would be the best way of making sure. Although this may alert them to the situation. Using the legal system is of course a choice. You may be in the right and it may an expensive endeavour to prove you are legally right.

One last thought. Check your church's lease agreement with the school district. The answer may be right there. If not... all of the above. Maybe a NRA legal team will defend you if pressed. Don't know about separation of church and state, could be other rights involved. Could be real tricky and $$$. Or you could just get a good IWB and hope you never need to find out.

Checking with local authorities would be the best way of making sure. Although this may alert them to the situation. Using the legal system is of course a choice. You may be in the right and it may an expensive endeavour to prove you are legally right.

I would never trust what the local authorities say when it comes to legalities. Go to a lawyer if you really want to know, and look up the laws yourself. Local authorities either don't know or lie all the time.

My church has grown out of our building and we are currently renting an elementary school gym to meet in. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this kind of situation being an outside group using school facilities. Is there a way to legally carry strictly only on Sunday during our meetings.

What state are you in?

I would ask law enforcement. Or the instructor you had. Because in Ohio you can only carry on school grounds in you car you cannot leave you vehicle. As in if you are pick up or dropping off child you can have it in your vehicle but that is it. If you step out of your car with it on you.. it is a felony.

Then I'm guessing you don't personally know any or have not been personal friends with any... I know state troopers and city police. The men know will have the answers I need or will tell me how to find it.

Then I'm guessing you don't personally know any or have not been personal friends with any... I know state troopers and city police. The men know will have the answers I need or will tell me how to find it.

Yes, I know a number of LEO's, both city cops and deputies. Most are trustworthy, and if they don't know something will say so. A few are opinionated jerks and have their own interpretation of what the law actually is, and others I wouldn't trust to even give me the accurate time of the day.

I also don't have complete trust in CC instructors, as they too can have their own interpretation or don't stay current with changes to the laws. The instructor I had years ago runs a local gun store, and talking to him one day he was not aware of changes in the law that were in effect.

A while back I was attending a meeting of a local Democrat group where there was a "board" consisting of the County Sheriff and the local Chief of Police and a city council member to discuss "gun violence". The question was asked of the Sheriff why people were allowed to carry guns in the county library where this particular meeting was taking place. The Sheriff answered, "Because there is no sign posted prohibiting firearms." I had to speak up and state, "The real reason is because the Revised Code of Washington RCW 9.41.290 prohibits local governments, including county governments, from enacting gun bans on public property that are more stringent than state law. RCW 9.41.300 lists the public places where firearms are prohibited and libraries are not listed. Therefore it would violate state law for the county to prohibit firearms in the county library and that is why people are allowed to carry guns in the county library."

When my ex-wife applied for her CPL at another county sheriff office, the counter person told her she had to get a Washington State driver's license even though she was a military spouse married to active duty stationed in Washington. I wrote an email to the Sheriff stating the Washington Administrative Code (WAC) that exempted military spouses from having to obtain a Washington State driver's license and that his employees should refrain from providing legal advice, especially when such advice was unsolicited and, more importantly, incorrect.

The three biggest sources of legal misinformation regarding firearms continue to prove themselves to be law enforcement officers, CCW instructors, and gun shop employees, in no particular order. There are thousands of pages of law on the books from the Federal, State, County and municipal levels - how do you expect a police officer to know them all?

I agree with everything you both said. And I don't at all expect them to know. I've just had the luck of knowing who to ask if I can't find the info. The few good ones I know..... (and I know a few just like have been stated jerks) .....have been able to point me or my wife in the right direction. I'm basically trying to say it never hurts to ask a question on any subject if you haven't been able to find the answer you self. I usually do my best to find the correct answer first.... because I've gotten short answers like that in the past.

If you look up the actual law, it will probably say that guns are not permitted on school grounds or campus or buildings. <---- period

It will not say that guns are not permitted "while school classes or school activities are being held" meaning it is considered a school 24/7/365.

This is what i was saying ohio current ccw laws state.

If you are licensed to carry a concealed handgun, you may carry a
handgun into a school safety zone only if you do not enter a school
building, school premises, or school activity. You also must not be in
one of the places listed in ORC 2923.126(B). You may be in a motor
vehicle and immediately in the process of picking up or dropping
off a child. You also must comply with all other laws governing the
transportation of firearms in a motor vehicle.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back