Carrying again after 27 years

Patriotpapa

Several months back I decided I needed to arm myself outside the home just because I felt uncomfortable in public with all the shenanigans going on. I took my classes; applied for my permit; and now carry. I purchased two holsters - one belt style - one IWB. I also purchased a couple of tactical vests from different companies, and a conceal carry fanny pack.
I am pleased with none of them! The best holster I have is a small pocket type holster that allows me to put the small pistol in my hip pocket or jacket pocket. Silly thing cost me $14. Is anyone else having difficulties with the tactical gear that is available? Body shape I am more like a potato than a carrot, but that is the same basic shape when I was a LEO, and I did not have near the options for conceal carry then as I do now. Why the heck is it more difficult? Or am I just getting old?...

Have you tried Crossbreads Supertuck? I've heard many good reviews. Another thought is try a shoulder holster like the Galco Miami classic.

Patriotpiper:
I'm in a similar boat. I carried for a good 20 yrs with no problems. Now, at the age of 75, the only comfortable carry for me is .380 in an awful pocket holster. I suspect it's age, in addition to a signigicant change in my shape. My prefered carry is a 45acp colt officer model, but it tends to pull my pants down. C'est LaGeurre

I would suggest postioning with your IWB rig. Being a little portly sometimes requires different carry positions iwb for comfort while still maintaining quick access. Also a previously stated the crossbreed & supertuck rigs work very well & distribute the weight well, offer deep concealment and in my opinion are very comfortable while still providing quick access.Im a little frugal so I chose the Kholster. Supertuck is very nice but can be pricey.

I have to agree with the others, Crossbreed Supertuck. I went through so many different brands & none were comfy enough for me. The supertuck is perfect, I adjusted the cant all the way up so it fits my body perfectly, no printing & I forget I'm wearing it. I pd extra for the J-hooks but found the hooks that come with it are perfect so didn't need to spend the extra $10.
Good luck.

I would suggest postioning with your IWB rig. Being a little portly sometimes requires different carry positions iwb for comfort while still maintaining quick access. Also a previously stated the crossbreed & supertuck rigs work very well & distribute the weight well, offer deep concealment and in my opinion are very comfortable while still providing quick access.Im a little frugal so I chose the crossbreed. Supertuck is very nice but can be pricey.

I believe you mean to say you went with the Kholster...since it is the lower price holster similar to the Supertuck (which is Crossbreed's most popular model).

PP...I have carried consistently now for a bit over 35 years, and I have to say that the Supertuck is the most comfortable CC holster I have ever had. Granted that I, as I have aged, have become more bony as opposed to more padded...and I apparently carry a somewhat larger gun (I would have trouble getting a pocket holster...or pocket...large enough for my Glock 19), but after a little experimentation with adjustments, I have been pleasently surprised with the feel and concealment.

Just a note since you have not carried for 27 years...possibly you have forgotten how much difference a good stiff belt makes? I personally wear Amish belts made from thick harness leather and available on a Google search for "Amish belt", but many swear by dedicated gun belts with internal stiffeners.

Just a note since you have not carried for 27 years...possibly you have forgotten how much difference a good stiff belt makes? I personally wear Amish belts made from thick harness leather and available on a Google search for "Amish belt", but many swear by dedicated gun belts with internal stiffeners.

+1 on the Amish belts .. i CC everyday with a Glock and have used the Amish belt for over a year .. still like new .. no sag ..

Thanks all for the responses. I have two Crossbreed holsters - the Supertuck & belt. You may be correct; I probably need to experiment a bit with positioning of the IWB, and give it more than 30 seconds... I use two different belts both have the stiffeners. I must say the belts are MUCH improved over what I had available to me long ago! I am also thinking of getting a shoulder rig. My body shape may require that sort of carry of a large frame pistol...
Thanks again, folks. Awesome group to be associated with!

Off shoot of the crossbreed is the galco kingtuk I use that for EDC and I have the potato shape myself and it's very comfortable. This style is very comfortable and have worn it over 18-19 hours forgetting it was on.
There is a new holster I've been looking at but have not tried yet by
http://n82tactical.com/n82store/?page_id=253
As it has 1 belt clip instead of 2 looks interesting.

Thanks all for the responses. I have two Crossbreed holsters - the Supertuck & belt. You may be correct; I probably need to experiment a bit with positioning of the IWB, and give it more than 30 seconds... I use two different belts both have the stiffeners. I must say the belts are MUCH improved over what I had available to me long ago! I am also thinking of getting a shoulder rig. My body shape may require that sort of carry of a large frame pistol...
Thanks again, folks. Awesome group to be associated with!

I failed to mention that it took me about 2 weeks to find the right positioning for the Supertuck...and I was about to sell it before I got it right...and got it through my head that the belt didn't need to be as tight as with the OWBs I was used to. But my major problem in the beginning was back pain.

Remora. Don't like it send it back.Has alot of comfort.Cheap but well built. Form compact and smaller would be fine. Dunno about full size.

I'm 29 and I have problems. I'm tall so all my weight goes to my stomach and mid ( damn lovehandles! ) which makes everything uncomfortable. I've tried every iwb position from 1oclock to the small of my back. Typically the only place I CAN have it and still be able to move is my 4oclock and even then its annoying. I have tried uncle mikes which was trash and now I'm using a leather tuckable blackhawk. It's not the holster has much as the handle jabbing me so I'm thinking its time to dresser the snub nose and get a pocket .380

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for my Glocks and my Ruger LCR .357. I will never buy any other holster other than Crossbreed for as long as they are in business. Love them.

Good for you carrying again, and you're paying attention to your neighborhood. You're lucky that you can take advantage of ordering holsters and gear from many different companies competing with each other. The quality is great, the price is reasonable, turnaround time is great, and you have lots reviews all thanks to the internets - yes, I did purposely misspell that.

I would encourage you to stay away from fanny packs, and tactical vests. Nobody really carries fanny packs since Don Johnson left Miami Vice, they're a dead give away if you're looking for concealment in my eyes. I also think tactical vests make you look obvious and more like duty gear, or like a fisherman to the untrained eye.

My body figure is quite different. I'm 5'11, have a 28" waist, and weigh 145lbs. In fact, my duty gear rubs my hips raw at the end of shift because they protrude more than usual. When I started carrying concealed, it was hard for me to conceal because of my physique. I must have ordered several different kinds of holsters, and spent close to four-hundred dollars on holsters. My concealed gun would look like a brick attached to my hip.

Think of your body as a clock, your eyes facing straight would be the twelve-o-clock position. I used a leather three-slot pancake holster, and would put my handgun at the four-o-clock position at a slanted position. Wearing a regular sized simple black t-shirt makes it disappear. Tucking in the undershirt, and wearing an regular polo shirt, or unbutton shirt makes it really difficult to see the printing of the handgun. That's what works best for me, but it may be apples and oranges.

I tend to stay away from inside-the-waistband holster because of re-holstering difficulties under stress, and the gun tends to pinch my skin when I draw or re-holster. I don't like tactical holsters because of the inability to have them adjust them. A simple three slot pancake leather holster that allows a cant works best for me. It also seems to work best for more than the majority of my students.

Price doesn't necessarily mean quality. There are more than a few holsters I've bought that were under $40 and they are some of the best holsters. I suggest that since Christmas is coming up, to wait for the discounts from various police equipment supply stores. I managed to purchase a holster that would go for $85+ for $30 out-the-door because it was an after Christmas sale, and I coupled it with some additional discounts. It is a favorite holster of mine.

The only unfortunate part about holsters is not that many stores carry a wide selection. The most common name brand ones I've seen is Galco, and most of the gun stores will allow you to try them on before you buy. I'm more willing to pay the store price if they allow me to try before I buy, than buy one online unless there is a great return policy.

I hope this helps.

Let me get this straight, you bought the best tool you can afford to protect your life and your loved ones, and you are carrying it around in a $14 holster? I think I see your problem. In order to carry well and safely, you need a very good belt, and a very good holster. IF your belt isn't a good one, your gun will flop around so it won't be where you want it to be, it will dig into you and be uncomfortable. Your CCW will be so obvious that you may as well hang a sign around your neck that says, I'm carrying a gun."
Even in among professionals, everybody that I know that carry's has a drawer, box, or suitcase full of holsters that didn't quite make it. Spend the money to get a proper carry rig.

I carry full size m&p 357 sig, in a Don Hume iwb @ 5:00. Very comfortably. Try your iwb in different positions to see what is more comfortable for you.

Have you tried Crossbreads Supertuck? I've heard many good reviews. Another thought is try a shoulder holster like the Galco Miami classic.

+1 on the crossbread supertuck, my figure is like yours and very comfortable with this IWB holster, even at home i have falling asleep on the couch with this on

Hey, me again. Based on some of the comments posted here I've decided to look at shoulder holsters for my FNP-45. I am curious to know which brands/styles you folks recommend avoiding, and why. I understand these will be opinions and not "product reviews.

I really don't like not being able to handle the merchandise, if you know what I mean. Internet shopping is easy, but unless you know exactly what you are ordering and getting, it is a crap shoot...

Thanks all.
Papa

Or am I just getting old?...
Yep you got it.....Getting old! I have the same problem..I use a super tuck for my Glock 27 but have recently ordered a Cleveland holster for my Para Warthog. I think these type holsters would work for you. I wear a tee-shirt under a polo so the leather is not touching skin...I also ordered a pair of suspenders to wear under the polo. The type "Dickies Men's Perry Suspenders" hook onto your belt and give great support to keep your pants from sliding down. I picked mine up from amazon.

Hey, me again. Based on some of the comments posted here I've decided to look at shoulder holsters for my FNP-45. I am curious to know which brands/styles you folks recommend avoiding, and why. I understand these will be opinions and not "product reviews.

I really don't like not being able to handle the merchandise, if you know what I mean. Internet shopping is easy, but unless you know exactly what you are ordering and getting, it is a crap shoot...

Thanks all.
Papa

Any mass produced kodra nylon holsters. I've noticed the sewing will come undone with the shoulder holsters very fast.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back