Carrying a loaded long-gun in the vehicle in OK

Chris C

I vaguely remember the instructor in my Concealed Carry class saying it was legal to carry a loaded long-gun in my vehicle if I have a concealed carry permit...............and that it didn't have to be concealed. I'd like to be able to carry a Lever gun with loaded magazine.........but not one in the chamber. Is that considered legal in Oklahoma?

I vaguely remember the instructor in my Concealed Carry class saying it was legal to carry a loaded long-gun in my vehicle if I have a concealed carry permit...............and that it didn't have to be concealed. I'd like to be able to carry a Lever gun with loaded magazine.........but not one in the chamber. Is that considered legal in Oklahoma?

Why don't you look it up in state law? If you are arrested for a violation do you think that, "Well they told me in my CCW class or on USACARRY.COM that it was legal" will be a valid defense?

http://www.oscn.net/applications/OCISWeb/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=440210

Title 21, Chapter 53, Section 1289.13:

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a landborne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a handgun, concealed or unconcealed, and is carrying a handgun or has a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

I did, but can't seem to find anything on the subject.

Edited my reply to add:

Link Removed

Title 21, Chapter 53, Section 1289.13:

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a landborne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a handgun, concealed or unconcealed, and is carrying a handgun or has a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

Just be careful of people who post an answer without a reference....they are often times only posting their opinion which may or may not be fact in reality.

That is just one of those things I wouldn't do in general unless I was hunting and driving to a spot. Legal or not.

I remember going to High school in the mid 80s with our pickup and a 30-06 in the gun rack. Didn't even think about it being there. It would be in the window of a 76 F250 and no one would mention it. There must have been at least 5 guys that did that. Was pulled over twice as a teen and only one time did the LEO ask me about it and that was just asking if it was chambered. 1984 Gresham OR. Things have certainly changed.

I remember going to High school in the mid 80s with our pickup and a 30-06 in the gun rack

I carried my long guns over my shoulder to school everyday to work on them in shop class. Left them in my locker between classes or placed them in the corner of the next class I went too. The year was 1969 and 1970. Never was questioned once by anyone on why I had the firearm.

I carried my long guns over my shoulder to school everyday to work on them in shop class. Left them in my locker between classes or placed them in the corner of the next class I went too. The year was 1969 and 1970. Never was questioned once by anyone on why I had the firearm.
One of our shop projects was a cross-bow with our choice of tension. Complete with leverage device to arm it. In metal shop we made our own missiles to match up with it. A friend shot one at the side of his house from about 60ft and it went into Cedar siding and plywood 6 inches.

Amazingly we survived without CrossBow control laws.

I think carrying a rifle or shot gun loaded in a vehicle is against the law in most states, check your local laws.

I think carrying a rifle or shot gun loaded in a vehicle is against the law in most states, check your local laws.

You apparently don't like to read through a thread before posting your often erroneous generalizations regarding laws. The OP's question was answered in post #4 with a reference to the applicable law, which is the exact reason I followed up with post #5:

Just be careful of people who post an answer without a reference....they are often times only posting their opinion which may or may not be fact in reality.

well excuuuuuuuuuuuse me. NavyLcdr **** Head!
Curious what you will tell God when he asks you about this kind of behavior you present Christians with?

It's a typical response from a person who has no reasonable rebuttal to the facts they are presented with. Maybe SR9 thinks he is just following Jesus' example with the money changers in the temple, but I think instead SR9 will probably be reminded of Matthew 12:34-35:
34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. 35 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back