Carrying a firearm in your home

Jarhead94

Hey people,

I just want to know I dont have a license to carry concealed ......yet. ( Rhode Island's tough)
but what my question is ...

Can I carry my weapon in my own home legally?
Concealed or open?

this may be a dumb question so Im sorry for anyone I bore with the question but I want to be clear.

Thanks!

Yes, and you should carry in your home. My personal thoughts are that people are most vulnerable in their home. Consider "Coopers Color Code." In the home people feel most secure and let their guard down. On Coopers Color Code, they would be in condition white - you should never be in condition white, not in this day and age.

* White - Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

* Yellow - Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself." You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to SHOOT today." You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six." (In aviation 12 o'clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft's nose. Six o'clock is the blind spot behind the pilot.) In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep. As Cooper put it, "I might have to shoot."

* Orange - Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has gotten your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot HIM today." In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that goblin does 'x', I will need to stop him." Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow. Cooper described this as "I might have to shoot HIM," referring to the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status.

* Red - Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger (established back in Condition Orange) has been tripped. If "X" happens I will shoot that person.

Link Removed)

Semper fi,
mike

Shooter Mike could not have said it better. It's 4:00 in the morning, I'm at my house with the doors and windows locked but I still have my Sig next to me.

In Arkansas you can carry anything you like in your home. Some folks scoff at the idea of wearing a sidearm while at home. I take the view of many others. Even though I am at home it does not mean I am safe. If someone decides my home is a good target for a home invasion I want to be able to defend my family and home without having to go get my instrument of defense. In my years of law enforcement and paramedic work I have learned that the unexpected happens very, very fast. Most times there is not time to think, just time to react. I want to keep any BG in view and turning my back to retrieve a weapon puts me and my family at greater risk.

That is my opinion and practice.

All good posts, except that I DO continue to carry outside the house on my own property. Concealed, of course. Nothing says you won't be confronted when taking out the garbage.

No need to limit it to inside your house (RI state statute):

11-47-8. License or permit required for carrying
pistol - Possession of machine gun.
(a) No person shall, without a license or permit,
issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12
and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any
vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her
person whether visible or concealed, except in
his or her dwelling house
or place of business or
on land possessed by him or her or as provided
in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10.

No need to limit it to inside your house (RI state statute):

11-47-8. License or permit required for carrying
pistol - Possession of machine gun.
(a) No person shall, without a license or permit,
issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12
and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any
vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her
person whether visible or concealed, except in
his or her dwelling house
or place of business or
on land possessed by him or her or as provided
in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10.

Good find thanks for clearing it up for him!:biggrin:

Each state has different laws on carry, I am disabled and I am home 96% of the time, and I carry every day both ways... Here in SC as long as your on your property its legal, and I have my ccp too,,,,,,,,,,,,

In Oregon as long as you are on your property you can carry concealed with out a license or you can carry open in Oregon except for Portland.

What about the Ohio laws. I have a friend who asked me the same question about oc and ccw on his property. He hasn't got his license yet. Is class is coming up in the next few months.

gun runner said:
In Oregon as long as you are on your property you can carry concealed with out a license or you can carry open in Oregon except for Portland.

When did that go into effect?

The online ordinances for Portland do not specify when they were enacted, but it has been years that I know of:

14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.

A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm.

B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm’s clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

C. The following are exceptions and constitute affirmative defenses to a violation of this Section:

1. A police officer or other duly appointed peace officers, whether active or honorably retired.

2. A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

3. A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

4. A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370.

5. A government employee authorized or required by his or her employment or office to carry firearms.

6. A person summoned by a police officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while such person is actually engaged in assisting the officer.

7. A merchant who possesses or is engaged in lawfully transporting unloaded firearms as merchandise.

8. Organizations which are by law authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.

9. Duly authorized military or civil organizations while parading, or their members when going to and from the places of meeting of their organization.

10. A corrections officer while transporting or accompanying an individual convicted of or arrested for an offense and confined in a place of incarceration or detention while outside the confines of the place of incarceration or detention.

11. Persons travelling to and from an established target range, whether public or private, for the purpose of practicing shooting targets at the target ranges.

12. Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

13. A person authorized by permit of the Chief of Police to possess a loaded firearm, clip, or magazine in a public place in the City of Portland.

14. A security guard employed at a financial institution insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation while the security guard is on duty.

D. It is unlawful for any person who possesses a firearm, clip or magazine in or upon a public place, or while in a vehicle in a public place, to refuse to permit a police officer to inspect that firearm after the police officer has identified him or herself as a police officer. This Section does not apply to law enforcement officers or members of the military in the performance of official duties, nor persons licensed to carry a concealed handgun or persons authorized to possess a loaded firearm, clip or magazine while in or on a public building or court facility.

You can't even carry a loaded clip or magazine in Portland.

abock33 said:
What about the Ohio laws. I have a friend who asked me the same question about oc and ccw on his property. He hasn't got his license yet. Is class is coming up in the next few months.

In Ohio you can OC any weapon, but need a permit for CCW.

Ohio Code:
2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.
(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person’s person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.

(C)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(c) A person’s transportation or storage of a firearm, other than a firearm described in divisions (G) to (M) of section 2923.11 of the Revised Code, in a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose if the firearm is not on the actor’s person;

(d) A person’s storage or possession of a firearm, other than a firearm described in divisions (G) to (M) of section 2923.11 of the Revised Code, in the actor’s own home for any lawful purpose.

I do notice there is no exception for on a person's land, just in the home. And, yes, the code only prohibits concealed carry.

And, in Ohio, you cannot carry a firearm in a vehicle without a CCW - only transport it:

2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back