Carrying a Carbine

PascalFleischman

OK, I'm ready to delve into a little bit deeper of a subject than concealed carry or handgun carry in general. My avatar is a Beretta CX4 .40S&W carbine. I bought it as a plinker that is very sexy. Fun to shoot, but it also serves as part of my home defense arsenal. Now, I'm considering it part of my "neighborhood defense" arsenal.

Lately, my otherwise peaceful neighborhood has become subject to the hood rats across the harbor. They've been breaking & entering, stealing from porches, and otherwise running rampant throughout the neighborhood.
We are not actually city-owned. I'm in the city, but our area is deemed a private development. This basically means that the cops will come when needed, and patrol occasionally, but we're not part of the normal beat.

Well, we've taken things into our own hands and have been actively patrolling on foot our neighborhood. I'm the only one (to my knowledge) that goes armed. Now, I'm thinking of carrying my carbine. It has a higher capacity, longer range, and red-dot sights. I feel it is a better tactical firearm for such a situation. HOwever, living in TN, I'm not sure if it's legal. Here's what the NRA:ILA site says:

It is unlawful for any person to carry “with the
intent to go armed” a firearm, knife with a blade
length exceeding four inches, or a club. The burden
is on the state to show an “intent to go armed.”
It is a defense to unlawful carrying if the possession
or carrying was:
By a person authorized by written directive and
permit to carry handguns;
(that's me)

It also mentions:

A person will not be charged or convicted if the
person possessed, displayed, or employed a handgun
in justifiable self-defense or defense of another during
the commission of a crime in which that person or
other person defended was a victim.

SOOOOO, I ask you this.....

WHat are your thoughts on the legality of me carrying a pistol-caliber carbine in a private neighborhood?

Thanks for your help.

Armed with a pistol, yes..armed with a rifle, unless you have a hunters license and the season is open, no..

I would say it's a bad idea just stay with CC. As if the hood rats see you with a gun then you are the first one that is going to get shot. Carry Concealed and keep it out of eye sight. If you really need some thing with more range. Buy a paintball gun and buy some pepper ball rounds for it.

I'm +1 on NOT carrying a carbine while patroling your hood. I don't think you should carry a paintball gun either as it will also get you killed/arrested.

You're not living in 2045 Los Angeles and you're not going to win the case when you go to jail for murder after shooting a 16 y.o. kid from 50 yards for stealing a BBQ grill.

I have respect for you Pascal but, come on man, a rifle for neighbor hood watch? Seriously? You are not the police.

Thanks for the input.......I'm not planning on dropping a kid at 100 yards, if that's what I implied. Mainly, society has become so feminized that nobody's willing to stand up for themselves or their neighbors. The carbine would be an outside show of "WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!". I'll stick with the Mag light and concealed pistol.....

I agree with you on the "wussy" mentality of today but, I think you'll just scare the hell out of your neighbors more than anything and I wanted to make sure you weren't turning into one of the gun freaks that are popping up on our fair site these days.

;^)

Please check with local LEO it may even be againest the law to have a gun and a light at night.Get their OK and have a area watch that the LEO knows about .This might keep one of you from being shot by LEO.

Our neighborhood has been in constant contact with the police about the situation this summer. Every time I've met with an officer, he's known I was armed and exactly where I was carrying. They couldn't be more supportive. I just haven't had a chance to bring it up with them.

I think it all depends on what you are referring to by carrying a rifle and the laws of your state. Here in Texas it is o.k. to carry a rifle or shot gun in a rack in your truck. You see it a lot especially in the smaller towns and rural areas. That would be fine. However if you are talking about walking the streets with one in your hand that would not be a good idea.

We have yet to answer the original question of the thread, which was whether doing this was legal or not. Whether or not it's a good idea is another subject; legal is legal whether it's a good idea, and the question has not yet been answered.

I see you are in Memphis. In Tennessee, for some stupid reason, it is NOT legal to carry around a loaded long gun. Not on your person or in your vehicle. Makes no sense at all, but "dem's da rules".

Robert in the hills of Tennessee

+1 on what everyone has said on here. Keep the weapon out of site.....CC! From what you said, your in a small community? Why not start a "neighborhood watch"?
On another note, I wouldn't carry it in my vehicle either. It just gives the impression that you were looking for trouble. I know You're not, but try explaining it to the judge.

Based on the statute quoted, it would clearly be illegal for you to carry your carbine whether or not it is "pistol caliber" or mechanically based on a pistol.

You would probably also be creating a public nuisance and possibly a PR firestorm for your community.

In addition there is the issue of your personal safety, which IMO is severely compromised by toting a long gun on your community walk-abouts.

There is a tremendous advantage to CCW. Use it!

If I was going to do a neighborhood watch program I'd carry a full sized firearm preferably one with a double stack mag. Something like an XD 45 standard under a loose open shirt or jacket, depending on the weather. While not a carbine, a full sized firearm will be more accurate and intimindating than a compact carry firearm. Oh...also a bunch of extra mags! ;)

+1 Red Hat hit it on the head. Like sambo said why not start a neighborhood watch group made up of CC people so you could have a armed watch group. I know Here in NH in Manchester NH, they started CC carry clean up events they have people with CC permits as well as people who carry in the open. They all come with there firearms and pick up the trash on the streets and parks. As a way to meet other CC people in the neighborhood as well to show people that not all people with firearms are bad guys. They have had i think 3 events now.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back