Carry pistol

kc4yrr

Hi all, My carry pistol is a springfield armory xd 9mm sub compact. I like it because it has great safety features,and is reliable. It has jammed only once when I just bought it. It never has again. I like to use speer gold dot ammo 124 grain +p. Iam new to this site and this is my 1st post. Iam a refugee from the former packing .org web site.

Good gun.What kind of leather do you use?

I carry in a fanny pack most of the time, due to the fact that we have hot weather here most of the year. However on the few days that we have cool weather I use a fobis roto holster cross draw.

draw times w/ fanny pack ?

The XD is a nice piece. Just wondering, what kind of draw times do you get from a fanny pack? do you practice regularly? I keep a P99QA .40 in a kydex IWB rig from FIST-inc. Draw to hit hovers near 2 secs. It's the price paid for IWB carry but concealment is priority no. 1 for me.

Drive fast and shoot straight

The XD is a nice piece. Just wondering, what kind of draw times do you get from a fanny pack? do you practice regularly? I keep a P99QA .40 in a kydex IWB rig from FIST-inc. Draw to hit hovers near 2 secs. It's the price paid for IWB carry but concealment is priority no. 1 for me.

Drive fast and shoot straight

Yes I do practice drawing it. 3 seconds for me.Nice pistol the p99.

I have an XD40 service. My wife just got an Xd9 subcompact. We haven't shot hers yet, but i am very fond of mine. i think you made a good choice. Welcome to the site!

Yes I do practice drawing it. 3 seconds for me.Nice pistol the p99.

Three seconds is twice the "suggested" time of 1 1/2 seconds. If you are new, the 1 1/2 seconds is based on the time a bad guy can cover 21 feet, which in turn is the closest you should let a guy with a club or knife get to you.

This is called "Tueller "rule" based upon studies done by Dennis Tueller a Salt Lake City trainer. It's worth googling to learn more about it.

Three seconds is twice the "suggested" time of 1 1/2 seconds. If you are new, the 1 1/2 seconds is based on the time a bad guy can cover 21 feet, which in turn is the closest you should let a guy with a club or knife get to you.

This is called "Tueller "rule" based upon studies done by Dennis Tueller a Salt Lake City trainer. It's worth googling to learn more about it.

There was a nice article about that very fact in the latest USCCA rag. I found that fanny packs and IWB were a bit cumbersome for me. I use an FBI cant leather, a cross draw, and rarely, an SOB. I am most comfortable with the FBI cant, so I use it mostly.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Duty I carry the DAO "bottomfeeder" they issue me.

Off Duty I carry what I want to, ussually a pair of D.A. Revolvers. I can be found carrying an N-Frame 4" Smith & Wesson most days with a J-Frame BUG. After the New Year I will start carrying my GP100 and the J-Frame. I like D.A.O. Revolvers for self defensive purposes, I guess I'm dating myself a bit.

The scariest sound in a gunfight is CLICK. With the D.A. Revolver all you do is manipulate the trigger again and you should hear BOOM. Boom is a good sound, I like BOOM. :D

If the CLICK occurs with a "bottomfeeder" you will be dead shot before you can complete the "Tap Rack Bang" drill if your opponent knows how to manipulate his trigger. Most twelve year olds know how to manipulate their trigger, I've been doing it since I was five.

Biker

When wheel guns lock up they become hammers. The ones I have had stop shooting were issue guns that were not maintained right and ammo issues.

I am a relative newbie. My always carry is a Kahr PM 9 in a UBG IWB holster. I have just recently started practicing my draw, but started with my XD 9 in a OWB holster. Just using snap caps in the house so far, but I think I do pretty good, my average draw and shoot time is usually under 1 second. (My best time surprised me at only 0.6 seconds but that only happened once. The big question? With snap caps I don't know if I would have hit a barn.

A friend decided to time me at the range today with my Kahr, but he wanted to time me through 5 shots. He said he read that a good time was five shots in 5 seconds including the draw. Range was 21 feet and he pinned up a 4 X 5 inch paper. I got 4 of five in the 4X5 in 4.93 seconds. I missed the first shot.

To be honest I think I was very lucky to get 4 of 5 in that small a target with my small Kahr although it would not have shocked me with either my 5 " 1911 or 4" XD 9. Heck I'm lucky to hit that small a target 4 out of 5 with no time constraints and careful aiming between shots with the tiny Kahr.

What I don't know is if that is good, bad, or average as I had only been timing the first shot with a snap cap.

How do you practice drawing and shooting? What distance, what size target and what is a good time?

Last edited:
Main carry weapon HKP2000 SK LEM. Sometimes I carry a second gun, most often a Glock 19. I also have a Sig and Walthers. When I need to go real small I have a Beretta Tomcat.

kc4yrr sounds like you and I think a lot alike when it comes to carry guns. I carry a SA 9mm subcompact also. I carry it in a 5.11 tactical vest. I can draw and present the weapon from the vest in just under 1 and 1/2 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you shot alot? Had one of their snubies that when it got hot it locked up.I had to take a stone to the cylinder after using guage to see issue.

Its been my faithful friend for about 15years. I've put hundreds of rounds through it, but it does have its quirks. You get what you pay for. I've never had trouble with the action locking up unless I try to "stage" the trigger. When I first got it, the rim of some ammo was too thick to allow the cylinder to close, a little polishing of the cylinder took care of that. Also, if I fire .38's and then fire .357's without cleaning in between the .357 cases get stuck from all the funk the .38's left in the end of the chamber. Simple solution is I just stick to .357's.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back