Carry Permit Background ?

cruzthepug

I want to get a carry permit but I afraid I may have a old warrant. About 12 years ago I got a DUI and missed one of the driving classes required. What's the chance a warrant was issued and would it come up trying to get a permit?

I guess I should go try to get it and if something does show up, pay the fine or whatever and move on. It's not like they would lock me up or something, would they?

Thanks in advance

I want to get a carry permit but I afraid I may have a old warrant. About 12 years ago I got a DUI and missed one of the driving classes required. What's the chance a warrant was issued and would it come up trying to get a permit?

I guess I should go try to get it and if something does show up, pay the fine or whatever and move on. It's not like they would lock me up or something, would they?

Thanks in advance

Is your drivers license current? If so then you can breathe a sigh of relief that you have not been suspended. Typically the drivers license of the violator is suspended when the agreement is broken. Also, was the DUI your first conviction? This is important because subsequent DUI's are felonies in the State of Alabama. If you have not been convicted of a felony or any crime involving violence, then you should be okay. You may just need to apply for your permit to see if anything from that incident is still hanging over you. More than one DUI = no permit. By the way, if issued a permit, it is null and void while consuming alchohol.:wink:

Is your drivers license current? If so then you can breathe a sigh of relief that you have not been suspended. Typically the drivers license of the violator is suspended when the agreement is broken. Also, was the DUI your first conviction? This is important because subsequent DUI's are felonies in the State of Alabama. If you have not been convicted of a felony or any crime involving violence, then you should be okay. You may just need to apply for your permit to see if anything from that incident is still hanging over you. More than one DUI = no permit. By the way, if issued a permit, it is null and void while consuming alchohol.:wink:

Yes, my license is current and been renewed several times since then. Also, haven't had a drink since then either :smile:

Yes, my license is current and been renewed several times since then. Also, haven't had a drink since then either :smile:

Good for You! It sounds to me like you have nothing holding you back. Head down to the Sheriff's office and get an application. Good Luck!

It may come down on how far AL goes back on their checks. If I remember correctly in SC they go back 10 years on vehicle offenses and a DUI could be a disqualifier. In fact too many speeding tickets can be a disqualifier also.

Last edited:
It may come down on how far AL goes back on their checks. If I remember correctly in SC they go back 10 years on vehicle offenses and a DUI could be a disqualifier. In fact too many speeding tickets can be a disqualifier also.

Ohhhh I hope not. Ive had 2 speeding tickets this year. But none in the previous 7 years.

Those two speeding tickets aren't going to keep you from being approved for a pistol permit.

That may not keep you from getting one in your state glock. But in NH/SC like redhat said. Speeding tickets can keep you from getting your permit any law you break will keep you from getting one. It's not always the case but some times it is. I mean if you cant even follow simple traffic laws then why should you be given a permit to carry a weapon? traffic laws are one of the most basic and simple laws to follow. But again i have no idea what the laws are in your state. I do know My police department will not Issue a person a permit who has a DUI. As Open carry is legal in NH so if they want to carry they can still do so with out a permit.

Last edited:
Instead of wondering, you should go find out, get it taken care of if you do have a warrant, and then take things from there.

That may not keep you from getting one in your state glock. But in NH/SC like redhat said. Speeding tickets can keep you from getting your permit any law you break will keep you from getting one. It's not always the case but some times it is. I mean if you cant even follow simple traffic laws then why should you be given a permit to carry a weapon? traffic laws are one of the most basic and simple laws to follow. I mean to many tickets for Jay walking could keep you from getting it ( there is no case of this ever happening) but it could. But again i have no idea what the laws are in your state. I do know My police department will not Issue a person a permit who has a DUI. But again they can do that as it's not your 2A rights to carry a gun concealed just that you have a right to have them. As Open carry is legal in NH they can still use there 2A rights and carry there firearm open on there side. Like the case that just went to court. A city worker went around and put copy's of his permit on his co-workers desks. They felt unsafe and his permit was pulled. He then took it to court and said his 2A rights had been stepped on and so on. They court came back and said You do not have a right to carry concealed just a right to keep and bear arms. They said that open carry is legal and if he still wanted to use his 2nd A rights he would have to open carry ( or something to this effect it's not word for word but you get the point).

You are right. It does vary from state to state. I have never heard of anybody being denied a permit because of a couple of traffic infractions. In our state, if you are at least 21 years old, not a convicted felon or have never been convicted for any crime of violence, then you are eligible for a permit. Ultimately it is up to the Sheriff of the county that you live in whether or not you are approved. If he/she doesn't like what they see on your rap sheet (if any), they can deny you.

Thanks for the replys. I've got the application filled out. I'm off work on Monday so I'll take it down and see what happens.

Thanks again

Thanks for the replys. I've got the application filled out. I'm off work on Monday so I'll take it down and see what happens.

Thanks again

No problem. It will take 2 to 3 days for approval once you turn in your application. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Dropped off the application this morning. Now the waiting begins, they told me it would take about a month to process.

Dropped off the application this morning. Now the waiting begins, they told me it would take about a month to process.

Good night!!! Your county must be seriously back logged if they told you a month! Either that or they are lying. What county are you in? I'm in St. Clair. My wife got hers about a year ago. She turned hers in and then called a couple of days later and they said it had been approved!

Good night!!! Your county must be seriously back logged if they told you a month! Either that or they are lying. What county are you in? I'm in St. Clair. My wife got hers about a year ago. She turned hers in and then called a couple of days later and they said it had been approved!

I'm in Madison County. Maybe that's the max and it's possible it will be sooner. I would bet I don't hear anything until at least the first of the year.

Oh how I wish it was only a month! LOL

Thanks again

So you didn't even try to see if you did have a warrant and if having one would adversely affect the application process? Kinda risky, isn't it?

So you didn't even try to see if you did have a warrant and if having one would adversely affect the application process? Kinda risky, isn't it?

Now you've got me worried. If something DID come up I was going to play dumb and then take care of it. Why have them digging looking for something if they don't have to.

Now you've got me worried. If something DID come up I was going to play dumb and then take care of it. Why have them digging looking for something if they don't have to.

Well mostly because if they find something and you didnt disclose they could deny.

Our CWP instructor told us to list anything that might come up. If it doesnt but you disclosed anyway, they at least know you're honest.

My SO had a charge several years ago that would have been a felony if convicted. No voting etc... Adjudication withheld. 3 years of probation served. It was 19 years ago and she hasnt even had a speeding ticket since. So she disclosed in case it came up and it probably will but since she was honest...

Ahhhh we all do stupid stuff when we're kids dont we LOL

Don't sweat it. If you were not convicted of a felony on the DUI charge, then no worries.... Besides, your license would have been suspended first for missing a "class". That would be your first indication that something was wrong. I think you will be fine.... You're probably right, you probably won't know anything until after the holidays. I would call them the week following New Year's and check on the status. You might be pleasantly surprised.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back