Carry or not to carry conceal

gwhitegm60

With all of the events that has happen this last week around the country. I have been wondering if it is safe to carry conceal or not to carry. My gun is right next to my bed and has not been put on or even taken to the range for practice. Should I take a chance everyday and not carry conceal or should I carry conceal. I have always been told it is better to have a gun on you and not need it than to not have it and need it. Right now everything is so confusing for a lot of us gun owner with conceal carry permits:unsure:.

Gregg

With all of the events that has happen this last week around the country. I have been wondering if it is safe to carry conceal or not to carry. My gun is right next to my bed and has not been put on or even taken to the range for practice. Should I take a chance everyday and not carry conceal or should I carry conceal. I have always been told it is better to have a gun on you and not need it than to not have it and need it. Right now everything is so confusing for a lot of us gun owner with conceal carry permits:unsure:.

Gregg

Your post make little sense and is in it of itself confusing. I had a longer reply, but deleted it as I was more assuming things than what you have actually stated. A few questions that you may want to answer to get any type of meaningful response:

• Why do you think it is not safe to carry concealed? - I personally have no clue what you mean by that.
  • Do you have any type of defensive handgun training? - I am assuming no.
  • Do you practice regularly? - I am assuming no.
  • If your state requires it, do you have a concealed carry permit? - I am assuming that your state requires it and that you have one.
  • Do you currently carry concealed? - I am assuming you don't.
  • What exactly confuses you about carrying concealed? - There is potentially a lot that can be confusing, but I have no clue what exactly do you mean.

What good is your gun at home on the nightstand unless you expect to stay in bed with you head under the covers all the time?

You know you make a very good point. Maybe I should start conceal carrying again and getting some defensive training. Besides with the investment it wouldn't hurt to be prepare just incase. Thank you.

Gregg

You know you make a very good point. Maybe I should start conceal carrying again and getting some defensive training. Besides with the investment it wouldn't hurt to be prepare just incase. Thank you.

Gregg

OK, based on this post, at least I have some information about you, so I don't have to guess. Yes, get some defensive handgun training from a reputable firearms school. I don't mean the training required to obtain a carry permit. I mean actual practical self defense classes. And yes, start carrying your firearm. You are your own first responder. Think about some medical training too. You should always carry two trauma kits, one for inducing trauma for self defense and one for treating trauma as first response.

When things reach the pitch we witness today, I carry every time I can, as I always do. However, it is often a larger caliber or greater capacity gun than I typically carry (plus extra mags).

Normally I have no problem carrying my P238 with extended mag, but currently I favor my XDs9 with extended mag, and extra mag, or XD40sc with 13 round mag, plus extra. Naturally all are carried +1.

When things reach the pitch we witness today, I carry every time I can, as I always do. However, it is often a larger caliber or greater capacity gun than I typically carry (plus extra mags).

Normally I have no problem carrying my P238 with extended mag, but currently I favor my XDs9 with extended mag, and extra mag, or XD40sc with 13 round mag, plus extra. Naturally all are carried +1.

I don't get that whole this day I am carrying one gun and the next day I am carrying another gun thing using a media-based perceived threat level. Not only is it impossible to predict the situation where you need the gun, but different guns means inconsistency (different form factor, holster, carry method, capacity, caliber and/or manual of arms). I train and practice with what I carry and I carry what I train and practice with. If I am in need of more "firepower" than I carry, then I am in need of a rifle or shotgun. The two exceptions I can think of is when a more powerful caliber is needed to dispatch four-legged threats (e.g., when hiking) and when the usual carry method does not work (e.g., when jogging or skiing).

For the record, I usually carry a Glock 19 with XS Big Dot sights loaded with 15+1 rounds in an IWB NSR Tactical holster and two 17-round spare magazines in a Blackhawk magazine holster. That's 50 rounds of 9mm.

While hiking in the woods, I carry a Glock 20 with XS Big Dot sights loaded with 15+1 rounds in an IWB NSR Tactical holster at the same position and two 15-round spare magazines in a Blackhawk magazine holster at the same position. That's 46 rounds of 10mm. In both cases, Glock 19 and Glock 20, it is a not too different form factor, a similar holster, the same carry method, the same capacity, and the same manual of arms.

When jogging, I carry a Glock 26 with XS Big Dot sights loaded with 12+1 rounds in a SmartCarry crotch holster and one 17-round spare magazine in the same holster. In this case, it is a not too different form factor, a completely different holster, a completely different carry method, close to the same capacity, and the same manual of arms.

When skiing, I carry the Glock 26 with XS Big Dot sights loaded with 12+1 rounds in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and one 17-round spare magazine in a DeSantis Nemesis magazine pocket holster. In this case, it is a not too different form factor, another completely different holster, another completely different carry method, close to the same capacity, and the same manual of arms.

Even in these 4 different cases, it requires me to train and practice 3 different draw and reload techniques. However, the rest is the same due to a not too different form factor, close to the same capacity, the same manual of arms, the same trigger and the same sights.

I don't get that whole this day I am carrying one gun and the next day I am carrying another gun thing using a media-based perceived threat level.

Without the civil unrest we are currently in, the most likely threat most of us face is some low life that has decided he want my money, or to car jack me, not a mob driven by hate.

Same reason a cop sometime gets out of his vehicle with just his sidearm, sometimes with his rifle or shotgun. You assess the probable threat.

No idea why you felt the need to go into such detail to your carry setups.

Without the civil unrest we are currently in, the most likely threat most of us face is some low life that has decided he want my money, or to car jack me, not a mob driven by hate.

Well, an attack like at the Westgate shopping mall in Nigeria with multiple active shooters is certainly a possibility in the US. We already had several ISIS-inspired active shooters in the US. None of these attacks had any precursors that would lead anyone to believe that today is the day one should carry the bigger gun.

Same reason a cop sometime gets out of his vehicle with just his sidearm, sometimes with his rifle or shotgun. You assess the probable threat.

My point, handgun, rifle or shotgun, and not 2 or 3 different handguns.

No idea why you felt the need to go into such detail to your carry setups.

To provide the OP with useful information to allow him to make an informed decision.

Well, an attack like at the Westgate shopping mall in Nigeria with multiple active shooters is certainly a possibility in the US.

I don't do malls haven't been in one in decades, besides the malls around here are GFZs. Not a problem.

Gregg

You want advice, from us, on whether or not to conceal carry a gun that's Never been to a range?!

Training, training, training and MORE training!

An unfamiliar piece of metal on your hip does no good if you can't use the thing, right?

I don't get that whole this day I am carrying one gun and the next day I am carrying another gun thing using a media-based perceived threat level. Not only is it impossible to predict the situation where you need the gun, but different guns means inconsistency (different form factor, holster, carry method, capacity, caliber and/or manual of arms). I train and practice with what I carry and I carry what I train and practice with. If I am in need of more "firepower" than I carry, then I am in need of a rifle or shotgun. The two exceptions I can think of is when a more powerful caliber is needed to dispatch four-legged threats (e.g., when hiking) and when the usual carry method does not work (e.g., when jogging or skiing).

For the record, I usually carry a Glock 19 with XS Big Dot sights loaded with 15+1 rounds in an IWB NSR Tactical holster and two 17-round spare magazines in a Blackhawk magazine holster. That's 50 rounds of 9mm.

While hiking in the woods, I carry a Glock 20 with XS Big Dot sights loaded with 15+1 rounds in an IWB NSR Tactical holster at the same position and two 15-round spare magazines in a Blackhawk magazine holster at the same position. That's 46 rounds of 10mm. In both cases, Glock 19 and Glock 20, it is a not too different form factor, a similar holster, the same carry method, the same capacity, and the same manual of arms.

When jogging, I carry a Glock 26 with XS Big Dot sights loaded with 12+1 rounds in a SmartCarry crotch holster and one 17-round spare magazine in the same holster. In this case, it is a not too different form factor, a completely different holster, a completely different carry method, close to the same capacity, and the same manual of arms.

When skiing, I carry the Glock 26 with XS Big Dot sights loaded with 12+1 rounds in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and one 17-round spare magazine in a DeSantis Nemesis magazine pocket holster. In this case, it is a not too different form factor, another completely different holster, another completely different carry method, close to the same capacity, and the same manual of arms.

Even in these 4 different cases, it requires me to train and practice 3 different draw and reload techniques. However, the rest is the same due to a not too different form factor, close to the same capacity, the same manual of arms, the same trigger and the same sights.

Good idea on the consistency in manual of arms, but you state one cannot predict what will be needed in any given situation, then illustrate that you carry varying amounts of ammo depending on different situations.
Aren't you predicting what will happen, and adjusting your carry based on those predictions?

Good idea on the consistency in manual of arms, but you state one cannot predict what will be needed in any given situation, then illustrate that you carry varying amounts of ammo depending on different situations.
Aren't you predicting what will happen, and adjusting your carry based on those predictions?

Well, if you read my post carefully, you will discover this: "The two exceptions I can think of is when a more powerful caliber is needed to dispatch four-legged threats (e.g., when hiking) and when the usual carry method does not work (e.g., when jogging or skiing)."

The only time I carry less ammo is when jogging or skiing, i.e., when the usual carry method does not work. I am currently looking into carrying an additional magazine to have two backup magazines in any case. However, while this may sound good to those people that do not train, those that do train know immediately what the actual problem is. It is not that I carry less ammo, it is that I carry it in a different place than usual.

With all of the events that have happened this last week around the country, I have been wondering if it is safe to carry concealed, or not to carry. My gun is right next to my bed and has not been put on or even taken to the range for practice. Should I take a chance everyday and not carry concealed or should I carry concealed? I have always been told it is better to have a gun on you and not need it than to not have it and need it. Right now everything is so confusing for a lot of us gun owners with concealed carry permits:unsure:.

Gregg
Until you know the answer to that question, do not carry.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back