Carry onto government parking lot?

I'm a Memphis TN resident and work for the government. I have to park in a gated parking lot at work but there are no signs posted saying no firearms. Could I carry to work and leave my gun in my truck? I did I quick search but couldn't really find a definite answer. Thanks in advance for any helpful info!

Are you talking State or Federal property and employment and what type of facility are we talking? All of the issues come into play when asking this type of question.

A gated parking lot at a State road construction depot is much different than a state operated, federally regulated / protected nuclear generating station. Different rules apply to each circumstance.

And why did everyone assume he was a federal employee? Did I miss something in the OP?

Its best to keep within the law of your state! So if the law says NO, don't do it. Regardless of how clear or unclear the law is, Don't do it. It will save you a lot of grief if you get caught or someone decide to be a "Do Gooder" and tell!!!

Here's the last part of that section you spoke of:

Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be
posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal
facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted
conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court
facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under
subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such
notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had
actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

Looks like as long as it's not posted, it's OK to have a firearm while in the parking lot so long as you are in lawful possession of it and not using it in a crime.

Yep! I AABDd (Answered After Being Distracted). I should have quoted the OP then I would have been able see (again) he said no signs instead of relying on a rusty memory.:redface:

Here's the last part of that section you spoke of:

Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be
posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal
facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted
conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court
facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under
subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such
notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had
actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

Looks like as long as it's not posted, it's OK to have a firearm while in the parking lot so long as you are in lawful possession of it and not using it in a crime.

Gentlemen. I think we need to re-read that section one more time, carefully. The key portion to note, if the restriction is not posted, is "unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be." That could mean that you were advised of the restriction by memo or email, that any weapons were not allowed, with the exception of official carry (military police, agents, etc.).

While I'll generally agree, the PO has a slightly different set of rules. To check and see if you had a gun in the vehicle, they would have to call in law enforcement. Postal Inspector's rights to search vehicles stop at the fenced secured area without a warrant.

And then:
But yet long guns may be shipped by mail.

That from the BATFE.

The Feds also banned guns from public housing. Fed courts have started saying otherwise in some states.

Congress, the Feds (ETAL), state, and local governments who implement this labyrinth of laws we have to navigate in order to exercise our right to defend ourselves should be charged with and brought to trial for entrapment. If I were in that jury it would take me less than one second to vote guilty and no one could sway that vote!

HootmonSccy:293517 said:
If you are a postal employee you can not have a firearm anywhere on the premise. There are pending lawsuits but so far the parking lot of a post office is goverrnment sensivitive.

This burns me up.. I usually ride a motorcycle and carry.. So, what am I supposed to do when visiting my local Post Office???
Park on the street, unholster my weapon in the street, place it in plain view in an unsecured saddle bag, and go get some stamps?I have side stepped this by going to a local Ace Hardware store that has a Postal Annex.. I can carry in the store with no issue AND even do Postal business..

Hootmon, check your local laws here in SC excluding po employees a cwp holder can carry into a po but their is a metal strip on the floor that indicates fed property (no entry for cw) so if you are checking a po box it's ok but you can't go all the way to the counter/teller. So parking on the property is ok. Once again that is SC so check FL laws.

Yes it is federal gov property. I work at the USPS BMC here in Memphis. There's a LOT of mixed answers in here, so I'll probly just leave it at home. Not worth the risk I guess.

Yes it is federal gov property. I work at the USPS BMC here in Memphis. There's a LOT of mixed answers in here, so I'll probly just leave it at home. Not worth the risk I guess.
If you park inside a fenced or gated area at the PO, don't even think about taking it there.

Congress, the Feds (ETAL), state, and local governments who implement this labyrinth of laws we have to navigate in order to exercise our right to defend ourselves should be charged with and brought to trial for entrapment. If I were in that jury it would take me less than one second to vote guilty and no one could sway that vote!
Have to agree with you. There is atleast one case in the courts right now trying to find out what the boundaries really are. Whether it is the whole PO building or just the counter and sort areas. USPS also says where workers are normally working. That could exclude lobbies or might not. That is what the court needs to decide. Also to define "storage" on PO property.

Come on, ask your supervisor in writing and receive a response then go with the response. As an employee, are you not advised if not ordered to read all available rules, regulations, policies and procedures as well as local, state and federal laws? I would not attempt to carry without good solid information not advice. Why chance the loss of your job, pension and felony or high misdemeanor conviction for being ignorant of the law?

Two things...

1 - Ignore what people are telliing you about state laws. They don't apply here. Fed law is equally enforceable.
2 - Ignore advice telling you if there is no sign you may enter. This is a sleeping dog... don't kick it. It's a recipte for an arrest and all that follows.

As for the post office parking lot, you CAN'T have your guns on you or in your vehicle:

Link Removed

I didn't realize this until it was mentioned somewhere and I finally found this case about it. I think it's unreasonable and unwarranted. However, now I either don't use the USPS or park in an adjacent non-USPS lot and walk. Somehow that extra 5 feet from the USPS lot is keeping everyone much safer!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back