Carry only one gun?

Thats just an echo from your past. Start the out board. Both are neat guns and I have to carry what I can conceal in my shorts.

.32 Thoughts

A few years ago, my (now ex-) wife was working for a large drugsore chain and commented to me that she was worried when getting off work around 10:15 PM. The parking lot in the small shopping center would be almost empty and had poor lighting PLUS they were leaving the night's receipts inside the building. Closing crew was usually just two women. Anyway, she felt there was no way to carry a 9MM or larger and my .380's (Bersa and Sig) kicked too hard for control. I picked her up a .32 revolver, had her working the range at about 3-4 yards and she loved it. I basically told her if anyone tried to grab them to empty it in their gut. My guess was they would forget all about crime even if wearing a vest (especially since she tended to shoot a bit low).

As the previous poster says, the first rule of a gunfught is to bring a gun.

After we split up, she moved to CA with it. I sure hope she remembers her permit was from WA.......

I wear a Smith & Wesson revolver or I wear two Smith & Wesson revolvers. I don't wear two as often anymore, but I still do it on occaision. They are a 4" Model 28 Highway Patrolman & a 2 1/2" Model 66. I'm seriously considering acquiring a Smith & Wesson Model 640.

I like to carry my Beretta 92 on my hip when possible, but if I'm going somewhere like a pool hall or a bowling alley where it would just be popping up from under my shirt to say "Hello!" every five minutes, I tend to leave it in the glove box an carry my 380 in my inside jacket pocket for a cross draw. Guess I'm just relying on my situational awareness to tell me where to reach. The nice part of the full-size Beretta is, you can feel when its there and when it's not.

Bug

You guys make me envious, because whether I want to carry a BUG or not, NM does not allow but one carry gun! How's that for a "shall issue" state! I still need to get a straight answer from the Dept. Public Safety as to why that is. I carry either an SP 101, 5 shot, or GP 100, 6 shot. I do carry speed strips, but the old "NY reload" idea is appealing. Guess I'll have to just keep on practicing for the 10 ring, every time (I wish).:rolleyes:
sailor

Any feed back on derset eagle 44 mag. Does it shoot 44 mag ammo for wheel wheel gun?A friend has one for sale with scope for 950..

I can scarcely imagine a situation where I would ever need a back up gun. I freely admit that I am rarely in a "bad" area, but even so, I wouldn't be inclined to pack double, an extra magazine, maybe, but two guns, no way.

Of course, this is just me in my world, and I live quietly back in the sticks. I mean no criticism to those of you who want or feel the need to carry a BUG.

I can scarcely imagine a situation where I would ever need a back up gun. I freely admit that I am rarely in a "bad" area, but even so, I wouldn't be inclined to pack double, an extra magazine, maybe, but two guns, no way.

Of course, this is just me in my world, and I live quietly back in the sticks. I mean no criticism to those of you who want or feel the need to carry a BUG.

I carry a BUG so that I may have a handgun accessable to either hand.

Let's consider for a moment, you are out with your family. After a nice relaxing dinner meal you are holding your two year old in your arms because she is tired. Your "better half" has the 3 month old in her arms. Now Billy Badguy comes to you and demands your wallet. Remember, one hand is occupied with said two year old.

My solution, if I am in fear of my life or said two year old's life, not to mention the baby and spouse, allows me to grab a gun instead of a wallet. No, I'm not advocating shooting in every situation. This is just a possibility. What if you had your two year old on your "Strong Side" and only one gun? OOPS, we can't rewind the tape and start over, this is real life.

Another scenario: You are at the range and your "Primary" malfunctions. You need to drive to your Gunsmith to give him the gun so that it can be fixed. On your way home you have to stop at the "Stop and Rob" for a gallon of milk. While the BUG may not be your first choice as a carry gun it is good enough to get the job done if you do your part. If you didn't have your BUG your Gunsmith would've loaned you a real nice S&W 25-1 to go home with, :D being that you are an off duty LEO.

Another scenario: Oftentimes in gunfights people shoot at their opponents gun. What if your adversary shoots your gun, rendering it inoperable. You now have a real nice Paperweight. Again, my solution allows me to stay in the fight. I hope to never need to use a gun again, but if I do I want to make sure I have enough to get me home safely.

Biker

BTW: If I won't go to an area without a gun I won't go there when I am off duty with a gun.

I learned a long time ago that there is no "Safe Area". Bad things can and do happen in the nicest of places.

Biker

I carry a BUG so that I may have a handgun accessable to either hand.

Another scenario: You are at the range and your "Primary" malfunctions. You need to drive to your Gunsmith to give him the gun so that it can be fixed.

I like the idea of having a gun accessible with either hand. That's how I carry.

As with the "primary" malfunctioning, I like my Glock(s) because there's nothing that's happened (so far) that I haven't been able to fix. ;) I take my armorer's course every two years so I'll be up to date with the latest changes.

Biker, you've got some great ideas, and I strongly agree that things can happen fast when you least expect it.

gf

As with the "primary" malfunctioning, I like my Glock(s) because there's nothing that's happened (so far) that I haven't been able to fix. I take my armorer's course every two years so I'll be up to date with the latest changes.

If nothing has happened to your Glock yet that just means you haven't shot it enough. :)

I have a Glock, even like it for the "utilitarian tool" it is, but all handguns and any other man made product can and will fail at some point. Heck, even people let you down and "fail" you I'm sorry to say.

Biker

BikerRN, I was not criticising your decision to carry a BUG. I was speaking purely for myself. There is no need to defend your position. I can't see the need for me. Didn't say I can't see the need for somebody else.

Hoot,

Not to worry, I didn't take it as criticism. I was just merely pointing out some of the reasons why I do what I do. This was more for the benefit of other readers who may wonder why I am not satisfied with carrying one gun, or may be trying to "justify" carry a second or third gun.

We each have to make our own choices and hope they are the right ones. :) Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Last edited:
BikerRN.
Good points -- especially about not going to a place off duty if high risk. As I do not carry a BUG, I would add that - for me - it is most important to carry in the same place all the time. Under stress, you never want to reach and only scratch. SBV

Carry Gun

After a lot of rotation of guns in all types of weather in my state, I have settled down to only one carry gun. I carry a custom, Dan Wesson CZ 45 ACP, Commander size. I use a custom made pancake holster on my strong side that holds this type of 1911 very secure and close to my body with all kinds of dress. Of course I have had to change my dress style to fit the carry weapon. But, once getting used to it is is very comfortable and I feel undressed without it. I also carry one extra magazine in a leather mag holder.

I have experimented with many different styles of carry guns and and quantities that I have carried over the years and have settled on just one semi auto 1911.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back