Carry only one gun?

CB3

On other threads I notice how with pride many mention the number of different guns they carry. And I mean different: configuration, controls, caliber, size, actions, and carry methods.

I have carried for 13 years, the last 12 in Thunderwear (The originator, before SmartCarry). Because of this carry method, I can carry the same gun (Kahr P40 w/backup mag) all the time, everywhere, no matter what my clothing or the time of year. I don't carry a BUG because I live in a low threat environment. If I needed to, I have a P-3AT in a leather pocket holster available.

While I have been through a progression of handguns to find what works best for me, I stick to carrying one at a time. I have a second of the exact same weapon at home.

I have never been in a gunfight. I guess I have to admit to being a 'net commando, but I do take carrying, practicing and educating myself seriously.

As I understand it, when the ballon goes up, automated training kicks in. The brain goes into a focused, lockdown mode of the most familiar and readily available knowledge. To me, this says if I carry different guns in different locations, my brain may be thinking one thing while I am actually needing to do another. I subscribe to KISS.

Obviously, many of the rest of you feel it is fine to carry a variety different guns in different locations on your body. This sometimes seems to be more for convenience than dedication.

Do any of you fear that you may grab for the 1911 on your hip only to find that you have the KT P-3AT in your pocket? How much might this delay you in a critical situation? Do you really have training impressed on your brain for three guns and three different methods of carry?

I know we all think we are very aware, and good at what we do, but making life saving decisions under real pressure is not something that allows for a lot of brain discussion on options. Memory/thinking tends to disappear and automatic reflex takes over. Which reflex training is going to take over for you?

I am not trying to trash everyone who carries differently than me. I am trying to start a discussion on real world carry methods and training that will work to save my life. BUGS training and carry are fair game too.

CB3

Last edited:
My financial situation dictates how many weapons I carry. Until I can spare the $800 for my dream (Sig 229), +tax, + holster, + extra mags.....I carry only one gun. When that magical day arrives, I'll carry two. I envision a left-handed cross-draw for my
9000s, with my Sig riding on my right hip.

I am presently working my way back to a simple carry setup. I was once a fellow with a dozen handguns, and alternately carried them all. Bad for practice.

Now I'm down to 3 which I carry regularly, and my goal is to get down to 2... one BUG or deep concealment gun, and one premium service-size weapon.

I am leaning towards a Sig P220 Carry SAS and a Kel-Tec P3-AT. Mainly because I intend to acquire a Sig P220R Match SAO as a toy and HD pistol in 2008, and would like some parts, especially the magazines, to be interchangeable.

The snub-nose .38 I currently have will be relegated to a vehicle glove-box, and the only other revolver I might ever consider is a full-size .357mag, for ammo commonality with my lever-rifle. I love shooting revolvers, but they are awkward to carry.

My "Primary" is on my hip both On Duty and Off Duty. My BUG is in one of two places, support side pocket or ankle.

The reason I move the BUG is when I am sitting/driving it is easier to reach the BUG on my ankle. If I am walking around my BUG is in my pocket. I don't have to think about it too much. If my BUG is on my ankle I am in the truck or in a suit. When I'm wearing a suit I am sitting down for most of the day.

If my BUG is in my pocket that means that my support side hand is in my pocket 90% of the time with my hand on my gun. This is not because I perceive a threat but because I like to walk around with my hands in my pocket. :) It appears very "non-threatening".

Biker

kt32 in pocket holster practice bug to bad guys mouth. most da with long triger pull are about the same as a revolvers 1911 is the easyist. most people I know carry on hip and bug somewhere. draw from retention alot shoot different weapons and try to really be close to the one you love

On other threads I notice how with pride many mention the number of different guns they carry. And I mean different: configuration, controls, caliber, size, actions, and carry methods.

I have carried for 13 years, the last 12 in Thunderwear (The originator, before SmartCarry). Because of this carry method, I can carry the same gun (Kahr P40 w/backup mag) all the time, everywhere, no matter what my clothing or the time of year. I don't carry a BUG because I live in a low threat environment. If I needed to, I have a P-3AT in a leather pocket holster available.

While I have been through a progression of handguns to find what works best for me, I stick to carrying one at a time. I have a second of the exact same weapon at home.

I have never been in a gunfight. I guess I have to admit to being a 'net commando, but I do take carrying, practicing and educating myself seriously.

As I understand it, when the ballon goes up, automated training kicks in. The brain goes into a focused, lockdown mode of the most familiar and readily available knowledge. To me, this says if I carry different guns in different locations, my brain may be thinking one thing while I am actually needing to do another. I subscribe to KISS.

Obviously, many of the rest of you feel it is fine to carry a variety different guns in different locations on your body. This sometimes seems to be more for convenience than dedication.

Do any of you fear that you may grab for the 1911 on your hip only to find that you have the KT P-3AT in your pocket? How much might this delay you in a critical situation? Do you really have training impressed on your brain for three guns and three different methods of carry?

I know we all think we are very aware, and good at what we do, but making life saving decisions under real pressure is not something that allows for a lot of brain discussion on options. Memory/thinking tends to disappear and automatic reflex takes over. Which reflex training is going to take over for you?

I am not trying to trash everyone who carries differently than me. I am trying to start a discussion on real world carry methods and training that will work to save my life. BUGS training and carry are fair game too.

CB3

Anything I carry is always some type of DBL action so I don't think there is a problem. If I were mixing DBL action with something like a 1911 then perhaps that could be a problem.

I have two guns in my rotation. I never carry both at the same time. Use the 1911 during colder months when it is easier to conceal and the PT-111 during the summer.

I carry one gun and an extra magazine. I usually carry IWB at 4 o'clock. I am much more comforatble this way. There are times when it must stay concealed in a tucked shirt. I tried a tuckable holster and didn't feel comfortable with it. Therefore, I use a Smartcarry under these circumstances. I have also, like you, thought about being consistant with my carry. I will, therefore, not carry my 1911. I am used to double action pistols and I am afraid I will forget about the safety. This is not something I want to forget.

I've settled down in my gun buying and I have a few different guns that I carry, mostly SIG P-220's but...

Three are the standard DA/SA version and two are DAKs.

I switch guns occasionally but when I decide to start carrying for instance the DAK after carrying the DA/SA models it's back to the range for orientation before I do.

I like to go through at least 100 rounds to re-train my muscle memory and re-familiarize myself with the trigger difference.

Back at home, I have some dummy rounds that are bright orange that I use for dry fire practice. I will do a lot of presentation and fire drills with them.

As for a BUG, I have a Glock 27 and a S&W 640. I rarely ever carry either of them but they do get to the range too about every third or fourth trip.

Last edited:
I currently carry one of two weapons. Bersa 9 double action/single action or a 45 long colt six shooter. I carry at 4 oclock or smart carry only. I got used to drawing the six shooter, which was my first carry gun, very efficiently. I'm so natural that the hammer goes back as the gun is on target almost instinctively and fast. For this reason, when I went for an Auto, I decided to get something with an external hammer config and double/single actioned. If I happen to pull the hammer back as I draw the auto, it just takes me into single action. But if I pull it will go boom no matter what. At least for me, the trick has been to practice long and hard with everything you want to carry. Each has its own draw and position, etc. I find that the brain naturally does the proper mechanical moves for whatever gun it is as it feels the grip, weight, and draw. Its like juggling, you can switch to a different pattern and the muscles adapt without you thinking because youve practiced that particular move along with every move over and over. Yeah Yeah I know someone will probably ring in about the six shooter, but honestly I'm faster and more accurate out of the sling with it and if I need more than 6 bullets I am in a heap of trouble anyways.

I do not mix trigger types.

At work it's DAO, at home it's DAO. The difference for me is: At Work it's a "bottomfeeder" and At Home it's a Revolver about 90% of the time. The other 10% is a DAO "bottomfeeder".

Biker

I pretty much just carry either my RAMI or a Taurus model 85 Ultralite snubby. The RAMI can be shot DA for the first shot like a revolver and that's how I carry it. So, either way, my first shot is fairly similar (DA anyway).

Forces of nature!

As I have gotten older, mother nature has played a cruel trick on me and changed the shape of my body. I carried a full size 357 Magnum concealed when I was younger and never had any problems. But now if I try to carry a large firearm it just pulls my pants down, and it is difficult to look menacing while trying to hold up your pants with one hand and draw with the other. Have had to switch to a Kel Tek 32, small light weight gun does not pull my pants down. Not the greatest solution, but it works for me.:rolleyes:

Bug

I carry a 1911 in a cross draw--with an extra mag--and I'll bring along a Sig 232 in a right pocket holtser for BUG if I'm going into one of the tougher areas of the city.

Not too often

There were only a few occasions in a concentrated time period that I ever felt concerned enough to carry 2 guns at once. And, to be honest, I felt pretty stupid doing that. That thought came from thinking that if I ever got pulled over and had to identify that I was carrying two guns, the officer would be in a negative or hostile mood. Also, even though I was
"concerned" it wasn't like I really anticipated having to go into a sustained firefight. My thought had been that the difficulty involved someone who knew I carried and if they went for the gun they knew about, it might be handy to have one that wasn't known.

Oh, forgot the BUG models

Oooops.

For BUG's I used my Sig P-230 (.380) originally and then picked up a Bersa .380 because that Sig bit me every time I fired the dang thing. Still have it because everyone tells me that you never give up on any Sig, but the Bersa worked a LOT better for me and had the same size/weight as the Sig. The Bersa was after the time period mentioned and mostly served as an alternative carry. As a BUG I just slipped the Sig loose into my pocket. I was intrigued by the comment someone else made about the ankle holster while driving though - makes sense.

Just curious. Several people recently have mentioned the Kel Tec .32. Why not the .380?

While I own the .380, the .32 has its adherents. It holds one more round, has a reputation as being more reliable, and I seem to recall that the slide locks open after the last round (I am not at all sure I remember that right).

There are some people who claim that certain brands of .32 are just as dependable as the .380 in defense.

While I own the .380, the .32 has its adherents. It holds one more round, has a reputation as being more reliable, and I seem to recall that the slide locks open after the last round (I am not at all sure I remember that right).

There are some people who claim that certain brands of .32 are just as dependable as the .380 in defense.

The first rule in any gunfight, in case you've forgotten is: Have a gun.
I have a wather PPK in .32 and it is reliable and accurate. Two very good points in it's favor. It is also very easy to conceal on my hip. I've recently acquired a Sig P225 in 9mm, and may start carrying it more. They are both DA, so there isn't much learning curve. I'd much more prefer carrying my .45 for the nice heavy bullet with the big thump when it hits, it just isn't as concealable as I like. JMHO

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back