Carry on private property without permit?

ShagginWagon

Am I legally allowed to carry on family owned private property without a permit, if I have consent from the property owner (my father)? My father runs a small business, where I am employed, and I have consent from him to carry while working. I don't yet have my permit but am enrolled in a class for next month. Thanks in advance!

You did not mention what state. But here's a rule of thumb. If you state is an open carry state you can open carry. If your state has a CC permit available you can apply for one. You just need to make sure you are allowed to own a gun in your state. Some don't.

You did not mention what state. But here's a rule of thumb. If you state is an open carry state you can open carry. If your state has a CC permit available you can apply for one. You just need to make sure you are allowed to own a gun in your state. Some don't.

I'm in MN, that's why I posted this in the MN sub-forum :p I'm able to own guns, I have a valid permit to purchase and have bought several pistols.

By permit, do you mean permit to own or permit to conceal carry? There is a difference. If you have a permit to own, I'd think you could carry open on your family property. But unless you have a C/C permit you cannot conceal carry anywhere.

I have a permit to purchase, I have not taken the class for a carry permit yet.

Sounds like you are in NC, and yes you can carry concealed on your own property, private property owned by family/friends and in your own home. A business open to the public, questionable, unless you are the owner of the business.

MN Statute 2015: Link Removed
624.714 CARRYING OF WEAPONS WITHOUT PERMIT; PENALTIES.
Subdivision 1. [Repealed, 2003 c 28 art 2 s 35; 2005 c 83 s 1]
§Subd. 1a.Permit required; penalty. A person, other than a peace officer, as defined in section 626.84, subdivision 1, who carries, holds, or possesses a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or boat, or on or about the person's clothes or the person, or otherwise in possession or control in a public place, as defined in section 624.7181, subdivision 1, paragraph (c), without first having obtained a permit to carry the pistol is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person who is convicted a second or subsequent time is guilty of a felony.

Link Removed
624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.
Subdivision 1.Definitions. For purposes of this section, the following terms have the meanings given them.
(a) "BB gun" means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in diameter.
(b) "Carry" does not include:
(1) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun to, from, or at a place where firearms are repaired, bought, sold, traded, or displayed, or where hunting, target shooting, or other lawful activity involving firearms occurs, or at funerals, parades, or other lawful ceremonies;
(2) the carrying by a person of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun that is unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, if the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and no portion of the firearm is exposed;
(3) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section 624.714;
(4) the carrying of an antique firearm as a curiosity or for its historical significance or value; or
(5) the transporting of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun in compliance with section 97B.045.
(c) "Public place" means property owned, leased, or controlled by a governmental unit and private property that is regularly and frequently open to or made available for use by the public in sufficient numbers to give clear notice of the property's current dedication to public use but does not include: a person's dwelling house or premises, the place of business owned or managed by the person, or land possessed by the person; a gun show, gun shop, or hunting or target shooting facility; or the woods, fields, or waters of this state where the person is present lawfully for the purpose of hunting or target shooting or other lawful activity involving firearms.

'Might want to carefully consider what you do, lest it interfere with your future legal-carry situation.
We are an open carry state, but you need that permit to do it legally, even on certain types of "private" property.

What cha' waitin' for?

I think he's waiting for someone to answer the question he asked, not questions by out-of-staters that don't apply at all to his circumstances.

This is the Code Section to the parts of your gun laws that apply to carrying a pistol without a permit:

Link Removed.​

A little more than half way down that page is found the following sub-section:

Subd. 9.Carrying pistols about one's premises or for purposes of repair, target practice.

A permit to carry is not required of a person:

(1) to keep or carry about the person's place of business, dwelling house, premises or on land possessed by the person a pistol;

(2) to carry a pistol from a place of purchase to the person's dwelling house or place of business, or from the person's dwelling house or place of business to or from a place where repairing is done, to have the pistol repaired;

(3) to carry a pistol between the person's dwelling house and place of business;

(4) to carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area; or

(5) to transport a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat if the pistol is unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, or securely tied package.

Just to be sure, you should give a holler to your dad's business's attorney, cite the above code sections, and ask him/her if it is as clear-cut in practice as it appears on paper. On paper at least, it appears you're fine as long as Dad has indeed given his permission, but do yourself a big favor and don't believe what you read on the internet without verifying its accuracy for yourself, especially when considering gun issues. The Title of the page I linked to says it's "2015 Minnesota Statutes." That's a pretty current revision-year, but I'd still check with someone (like a lawyer) who would be responsible for giving you the most current and accurate advice possible.

Blues

It could be possible he's planning to carry it around the business for purposes of repair or target practice.
Then that Subd would certainly apply.

What kind of business and where is it?
You might get some new customers who appreciate your desire to carry.

d5d591f866c11e92950cecbaf3cadb92.jpg

Yes, Mikestone does whatever he wants, the law be damned.
He is a meme rebel whom NO ONE will control.

Or maybe just a basement-dwelling internet-surfing mall ninja who doesn't even own or carry a gun.

I'm betting he's from Vermont where that meme does, and always has, applied within the state. I could be mistaken about where mikestone lives, but regardless, the rest of us who live in "workable, reasonable" NRA-compliant gun controlled states and just live with it without activism towards getting Vermont's gun-liberties for ourselves, really have no place to talk about how weak memes are. Such talkers are walking, living weak memes.

Blues

So, he can carry in schools and courthouses as long as he carries a copy of his meme?
That IS a pretty permissive state to live in!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back