Carry in the gym

rrc1962

I need some ideas. The car have been broken into twice in the gym parking lot so I'm not comfortable leaving it in the car. The gym is not posted but I'd still rather not advertise. Could be it's not posted just because no one has carried inside yet. What are my options considering I'm wearing lightweight shorts and a t-shirt at the gym. I mostly just weight train and power walk on the treadmill.

I thought about Smart Carry. I tried one a while back and didn't care for it under street clothes. Maybe it would be better under shorts and just for the trips to the gym.

Your thoughts???

I bought a pair of cargo shorts for $15 or so at Target. They're not the best workout shorts, but better than jeans. They have belt loops, so I just carry like normal when I'm working out.

Lately, though, I started swimming. So I hang the pistol on a hook in the locker, change into swim trunks, and lock up. No problems!

***IMPORTANT NOTE***

If you start doing situps on the incline bench, your pistol will come out of the holster, possibly setting you up for an embarassing confrontation....or :pleasantry: so a little birdie told me :pleasantry:

I need some ideas. The car have been broken into twice in the gym parking lot so I'm not comfortable leaving it in the car. The gym is not posted but I'd still rather not advertise. Could be it's not posted just because no one has carried inside yet. What are my options considering I'm wearing lightweight shorts and a t-shirt at the gym. I mostly just weight train and power walk on the treadmill.

I thought about Smart Carry. I tried one a while back and didn't care for it under street clothes. Maybe it would be better under shorts and just for the trips to the gym.

Your thoughts???

Find another gym.

gf

I bought a cheap holster and I keep it in the side pocket of my gym bag. I ceep that pocket twords the front when I'm carring it. I transfer it to and from me when I'm in the car. its easier access than keeping it locked in the car. when I get to the gym I keep the bag locked in a locker.

Make your own!

I saw a sight recently detailing the holster build a guy performed with a fanny pack. He used a normally available pack (Coleman, Timberland, Jansport). The "normal" fanny pack holsters are usually black leather and are pretty obvious firearm stashes. However, a blue or green Jansport fanny pack does not evoke the same "gun" reaction from those in the know. Also, I would have a cheap pair of headphones with the cord leading into the pack as further camouflage. A light "on ear" foam type with no connection will do little to hinder situational awareness, but go far in helping a potential BG underestimate you.

Even with a fanny pack of some sort, gym carry poses a problem just because it's one more thing to keep track of. Your gun is also likely to be the most dense concentration of mass in whatever you're keeping it in, so be careful how you move with it.

If theft is a problem where you go, consider finding another one or parking closer to the door.

It's not that I feel I NEED it at the gym. If I knew exactly when I'd need my gun, I wouldn't need to carry it at all. I've never needed my gun to make bank deposits. That doesn't mean I won't need it today.

I'm liking the gym bag idea. I think a fanny pack would get in the way of a workout. A belly band might work also.

If you do decide on a gym bag just remember anything that is not fastened on you can be walked away from if you get distracted. That is the main reason I like the fanny pack best. It can be a little bit of a pain but you can move it around from front to side as needed. I agree that we never know when you might need your gun and if you start trying to figure out when to leave it and when to take it you run the risk of guessing wrong and once is all it takes. It is always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I work out on US FED GOVT property so no carry. Does your gym have lockable wall lockers? If so, i would use them. Use a combo lock. If not, find a new gym or use a fanny pack....however I am laughing at any guy wearing a fanny pack in the gym.

What about those holster shirts? Luke posted a review about one he wears while riding a bicycle. 5.11 has one that has a retention strap. What ever you decide keep us posted on what works well. I'm always looking for more ideas to keep it out of sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gym Carry

I work out at the local YMCA and I have an old neoprene Walkman holder that straps around my waist, like a fanny pack. I slip my S&W 340PD (in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster) into the Walkman fanny pack, along with my ipod and the headphones hanging out and I am good to go! Listen to some tunes on the treadmill and nobody knows I am packin'.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back