Carry in church vs. church culture

There's even a church in my area that has built a firing range on their property. (Everyone is encouraged to CC.)

jesus-with-rifle-thumb.jpg

Then Jesus asked them, "When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?" "Nothing," they answered. He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a rifle, sell your cloak and buy a Winchester lever action.

What a coincidence. Icemnmpls used the exact same picture and quote. What are the odds of that?

carrying in church

I used to carry in Church mainly because I didn't like the idea of leaving my weapon in the car for any reason. Then a few years ago my daughter got me the book "Shooting Back: The Right and Duty of Self-Defence" by Charl Van Wyk (Author) for Christmas. After reading the book it changed my opnions greatly why it is ok to carry- even in church. Attached it the product description. I suggest anyone that carries a weapon read the book and then pass it on to those who argue against guns. As I watch our Government slowly erode rights of some while seemingly enabling the rights of others it is imperitive we are all ready at all times for anything, yet not be afraid.

Product Description
Charl Van Wyk was just an ordinary Christian man until July 25, 1993 - the day that would become known as the St. James Massacre. It was on this date that Van Wyk shot back at the terrorists who were attacking an innocent congregation gathered in prayer, and saved many lives in the process.

More than just a remarkable story of courage under fire, Shooting Back deals forthrightly with the consequences of his actions, while addressing the concerns that plague so many God-fearing people in these lawless times, such as: Should we carry arms? When is it appropriate to defend ourselves and our families? What can we do when our God-given right to self-defense is legislated away from us?In Shooting Back, Van Wyk tackles these difficult questions using the light of Scripture and insights from his own experience to make the case for self-defense.

The author currently serves as In Touch Mission International's associate missionary to Africa.

PEACE.

MO law requires you to have the permission of the pastor. Whatever that actually looks like...

Story from experience...local city hall had a guy walk in and kill several people. Located about 1 miles form the church. My church (at the time) within the week threw up the official "no guns allowed" sign. Gee how smart! For a time, they hired an off-duty LEO to walk the facility in plain clothes. Would have been safer and cheaper to invite us CC'ers to carry. I did not have my CCW at the time so it was moot on me.

My current pastor knows I carry but we have never discussed whether I carry while at the church. He has told me that there are several other CCWs guys that attend the church. So far he has not stated an opinion either way but as has been said, CC is my business and what you don't know won't hurt me.

I have stated elsewhere that I almost exclusivly open carry, but church is the exception for that. There are several in our church, including a few women, who carry. At Pastor's request, we CC during church. Lots of folks know some of us carry, but some don't and we have a steady stream of visitors that we would like not to scare off before the Pastor's preaching does.

Ohio law says churches are gun free unless you have permission.

You are 100% wrong in that statement..... I always have a choice, everyone else does too....

Of course you/I/everyone has a choice; that is the basic journey of life. If you choose to break the law, you accept the fact that there is a possibility you will be punished for your transgression. Personally, I do not carry in church, as Ms Law states that I am not authorized to, and considering the possible punishment (the loss of my ability to legally carry a concealed firearm), I choose not to carry in church. I accept the possibility that something may happen that, if I was illegally carrying, I might be able to stop. That is my choice.

(Below is MS Law concerning Church carry (short & direct).

Location Limits
Mississippi licenses to carry concealed weapons do not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into:

• "Any place of nuisance" (e.g., any place where lewdness or prostitution is conducted or permitted or where controlled substances are unlawfully used, possessed, sold or delivered more than once; see § 95-3-1);

• Any police, sheriff or highway patrol station;

• Any detention facility, prison or jail;

• Any courthouse or courtroom, except that a judge may carrying a concealed weapon and determine who may carry a concealed weapon in a courtroom;

• Any polling place or meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity;

• Any meeting of the Legislature or a legislative committee;

• Any public park, unless it is for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearm-related activity; Any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms;

• Any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages;

• Any elementary or secondary school facility, and any junior college, community college, college or university facility, unless it is for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearm-related activity;

• Inside the passenger terminal of any airport, subject to limited exceptions;

Any church or other place of worship; or

• Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

Of course you/I/everyone has a choice; that is the basic journey of life. If you choose to break the law, you accept the fact that there is a possibility you will be punished for your transgression. Personally, I do not carry in church, as Ms Law states that I am not authorized to, and considering the possible punishment (the loss of my ability to legally carry a concealed firearm), I choose not to carry in church. I accept the possibility that something may happen that, if I was illegally carrying, I might be able to stop. That is my choice.

(Below is MS Law concerning Church carry (short & direct).

Location Limits
Mississippi licenses to carry concealed weapons do not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into:

• "Any place of nuisance" (e.g., any place where lewdness or prostitution is conducted or permitted or where controlled substances are unlawfully used, possessed, sold or delivered more than once; see § 95-3-1);

• Any courthouse or courtroom, except that a judge may carrying a concealed weapon and determine who may carry a concealed weapon in a courtroom;

• Any polling place or meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity;

• Any public park, unless it is for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearm-related activity; Any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms;

• Any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages;

• Any elementary or secondary school facility, and any junior college, community college, college or university facility, unless it is for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearm-related activity;

Any church or other place of worship; or

Life is full of choices. I look at it the other way. I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by six and it is easier to get forgivness than permission.

And I look at it still another way. If I can't carry my gun when I go to church, then I won't go, and I think other gunowners should do the same. If enough people stop going to church and stop putting money into the collection plate and let the churches know about it, then the churches will eventually be forced to act and start pushing to get these silly laws taken off the books.

You can read the Bible at home, watch church services on television at home, pray with your spouce at home, say grace before family dinner, and do everything else one would do at a church WITHOUT GOING TO CHURCH. They need you alot more than you need them. Currently there are at least 20 full time TV channels devoted to preaching and bible study. Most of these channels can be viewed for free if you have a free-to-air satelite system.

Thank goodness here in Texas at my church I do not have to make that decission. Most of the staff carry and there is no telling, a lot I am sure, how many of the members are armed.

God first, country second, family third. In MN there are places with signs posted guns not welcome and I wouldn't go there with my money, but. I figure God came long before anything else did. The laws shouold be changed to allow carry wherever and as long as we teach as many people aswe can especially the young how to safely handle weapons, and support those organizations that fight those opposing our rights we have a better chance of maintaining those rights given to us in the constitution. The more people we alienate the tougher that fight is going to be. When people like George Soros with billions of dollars that could spend $50 million opposing us without batting an eye and he certainly has rich friends, Bill Clinton and MN Governor to be Mark dayton just had dinner with him. Bill's wife as Secretary of State can easily sell us down river too to the UN along with Barack, so Pray for God's will, but plead our case with him too!

I wish we had the choice of simply moving to another church here in Georgia, however, state law prohibits the carry of firearms into a place of worship. Our only recourse here is to continue to fight this law and georgiacarry.org is doing a fine job of that.

You do have a choice, don't go to church. Stay at home and worship, read the Bible and watch Christian television. If you feel so motivated you can purchace a Glorystar Satelite system and watch over 30 channels free to air.

You may surmise from my other posts that that is what I do. I'm not big on organized religion although I am a Christian. My comment was mainly aimed at the antiquated law preventing carry to church. Personally, I feel closer to God when I'm deep in the woods hiking and camping.

And I look at it still another way. If I can't carry my gun when I go to church, then I won't go, and I think other gunowners should do the same. If enough people stop going to church and stop putting money into the collection plate and let the churches know about it, then the churches will eventually be forced to act and start pushing to get these silly laws taken off the books.

I appreciate the point, but I am not sure I agree with the method. Using the same logic, we'd have to stay away from the following:

--My wife couldn't lead NRA's Refuse To Be A Victim training.

--No more prison ministry...?

--Can't 'Just Say No' to a Summons!

--Isn't it critical to vote in local and national elections?

--Isn't it critical to participate in local/state/federal government 2A-related discussions?

--We have a lovely town park that is the focal point of many community events. No more higher education or sporting events?

--My opinion: Alcohol AND firearms NEVER mix - choose one at a time. However, I certainly am glad that Virginia changed the law to allow me to carry responsibly in a bar. Either go carrying and pull designator driver duty, or leave ol' Betsy at home and enjoy your favorite adult beverage.

--Again, should we restrict ourselves from higher education simply because we can't carry on campus. Every VA Tech student I know had the same answer: Yes - if students over 21 with a CCW permit were allowed to carry, *that* story might have had a different ending. Don't forget Virginia has a high number of military veterans exercising their GI Bill within our state colleges!

--Have you ever ventured into a big city airport terminal after midnight to pick up an arriving passenger?

• Any church or other place of worship; or
--Sorry - churches don't exist for me. I don't think I am going to hinder God's plan for or ministry of a bible-believing, bible-teaching, Christ-centered church by not attending. The only thing that would be hindered is my own walk. God does call us into fellowship, whether it is a church that meets on church property, a church that meets in a storefront or school, or a home church. Can you be a believer and not attend church? Absolutely! Can you strengthen and make more effective God's body of believers in a community by adding your skills, passions and strengths? Positively!

--It isn't worth giving up your 2A rights to carry illegally. Know the law, understand your firearm, and practice, practice, practice!

You can read the Bible at home, watch church services on television at home, pray with your spouce at home, say grace before family dinner, and do everything else one would do at a church WITHOUT GOING TO CHURCH. They need you alot more than you need them. Currently there are at least 20 full time TV channels devoted to preaching and bible study. Most of these channels can be viewed for free if you have a free-to-air satelite system.

Hmm - well, those are all good things to do, and they can all be done outside of a church. In fact, you don't need a church to be saved or to grow in your faith. Just something to consider: I don't recall anyone from the bible that stood alone and stood for God - fellowship was a factor each time. Hebrews Ch. 10 tells us it is better to walk together than alone. Also, 1 Corinthians reminds us that we are each part of a larger body - His Church. Again, not a sermon - just a thought.

Cheers!

As a retired Baptist minister I have mixed feelings about concealed carry in church.
Say 10 men cc in church and everyone is unaware. Someone enters with a gun. How are the 10 identified as good guys if the lead starts flying? I think there needs to be an organized "Security Team" with a plan of action, and practice sessions, perhaps they wear identifying ties or other methods.
Just a thought IMHO :wacko:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back