Carry in a briefcase?

JJFlash

I got into a little pissing contest with a guy on a different thread (carrying and bowling) who made the claim that if you can't carry concealed on your person, then you shouldn't carry. My response (diplomat that I am) was "bullshit". I often put my weapon in my briefcase if I'm in a situation where I don't want to reveal I'm packing (e.g., meeting with new clients in a coffee shop in warm weather so I'm not wearing a jacket and don't want to spook them with open carry). The briefcase stays with me so I'm not suggesting that I'm wandering off anywhere. With the weapon in the briefcase, obviously I'm not in a "fast draw" condition, but I'm ALWAYS situationally aware and feel that's it's better to have the weapon close by as opposed to not available at all. For the record, I'm personally not interested in "deep concealment" on my person. So, many times in warmer weather, I'll often carry the briefcase (lately I've started to open carry more frequently).

I guess this guy's worry was that someone would snatch my gun out of the briefcase or grab the briefcase itself. I've never felt this concern.

Other opinions?

I prefer to have the gun on my person but there can be times when that might not work. Having it in a briefcase, shoulder/bug out bag etc. is far better than not having it at all. My wife will not carry in a holster on her person but does carry in a gun purse. Is it the best way. Probably not. Am I going to tell her not to carry at all if the purse is the only way she will take her gun. Absolutely not.

I advise my students to carry "on their person" whenever possible. Having your firearm in a purse, brief case, fanny pack, etc. greatly increases the risk of having your firearm "snatched or in some cases, inaccessible when needed. I've seen cases where a woman has her firearm in her purse, which is specially designed for "concealed carry". She's eating at a restaurant with her family, and a BG walks in to rob the place. She left staring across the table at her handbag sitting on the opposite seat. This is one example, I'm sure there are many others. Carrying the firearm on your person is the best way to ensure that the firearm is accessible when you need it.

gf

I advise my students to carry "on their person" whenever possible. Having your firearm in a purse, brief case, fanny pack, etc. greatly increases the risk of having your firearm "snatched or in some cases, inaccessible when needed. I've seen cases where a woman has her firearm in her purse, which is specially designed for "concealed carry". She's eating at a restaurant with her family, and a BG walks in to rob the place. She left staring across the table at her handbag sitting on the opposite seat. This is one example, I'm sure there are many others. Carrying the firearm on your person is the best way to ensure that the firearm is accessible when you need it.
gf

I agree. There are so many options for concealment these days.

While carrying on your person is probably generally a better alternative, I also sometimes carry in my brief case. I also have a DayRunner that I stripped the ring binders and other internals out of. Its the perfect size for my Starfire .40 S&W. It even has an expandable pocket that makes a perfect "holster".

I'm a realtor and a builder/developer, and often have to meet complete strangers in vacant buildings, or secluded areas. In recent years, attacks on realtors have become pretty common.

Not sure but I might have misinterpreted what that guy said on the other thread. I apologized but haven't heard back from him, so hope I didn't run 'em off. Posting sometimes leaves a bit to be desired in knowing what the "nuance" is from someone's writing and I often jump to conclusions too quickly, particularly if I think I'm being slammed. Like to learn to stop that but seems rather hopeless at my advanced age.

Still a reasonable topic. Yeah, obviously carrying on your person is obviously better but, as I said, I'd rather have the weapon close as opposed to not at all.

Not sure but I might have misinterpreted what that guy said on the other thread. I apologized but haven't heard back from him, so hope I didn't run 'em off. Posting sometimes leaves a bit to be desired in knowing what the "nuance" is from someone's writing and I often jump to conclusions too quickly, particularly if I think I'm being slammed. Like to learn to stop that but seems rather hopeless at my advanced age.

Still a reasonable topic. Yeah, obviously carrying on your person is obviously better but, as I said, I'd rather have the weapon close as opposed to not at all.

That's a valid argument. If you do choose to carry via fanny pack, purse, brief case, etc., you will need to train properly to ensure that you don't "accidetly" leave your firearm somewhere. I've heard of cases where people are used to carrying a particular way and for whatever reason decide to carry in a purse or fanny pack. Not being prepared for the "change", they somehow manage to forget their purse or fanny pack somewhere like hanging from the hook in a restroom stall, etc. :eek: Imagine how that could turn out if a stranger gets possession of your firearm. I've heard of people losing their CC permit/license because of this. Not a good situation to be in. :nono:

gf

While I agree that on-person is definately preferable, there've been times I've had to resort to off-the-body.

I haven't don't it often, but when I did, SA was especially high, and mode of carry was never out of my direct control.

I got into a little pissing contest with a guy on a different thread (carrying and bowling) who made the claim that if you can't carry concealed on your person, then you shouldn't carry. My response (diplomat that I am) was "bullshit". I often put my weapon in my briefcase if I'm in a situation where I don't want to reveal I'm packing (e.g., meeting with new clients in a coffee shop in warm weather so I'm not wearing a jacket and don't want to spook them with open carry). The briefcase stays with me so I'm not suggesting that I'm wandering off anywhere. With the weapon in the briefcase, obviously I'm not in a "fast draw" condition, but I'm ALWAYS situationally aware and feel that's it's better to have the weapon close by as opposed to not available at all. For the record, I'm personally not interested in "deep concealment" on my person. So, many times in warmer weather, I'll often carry the briefcase (lately I've started to open carry more frequently).

I guess this guy's worry was that someone would snatch my gun out of the briefcase or grab the briefcase itself. I've never felt this concern.

Other opinions?

While I don't agree with him, I can understand his concern. Maybe you are a responsible gun owner but not everyone is. How many people get their briefcase stolen every year because they were bullshitting with their buddy and wasn't keeping an eye on it? If you have your heater on your hip, you will know if it is being tampered with, more than likely. For example, the laptop stolen each year number into the thousands. What if only 5% of those people carried their piece in a laptop case?

I do it every day. But admit it really depends on the details. In my circumstances....if the gun is in the bag...the bag is either on my shoulder or at my side at my desk or in my car...NO exceptions. Bag is lockable if necessary for what that's worth.... And when gun is in the bag I can draw and present in 2 seconds give or take. Works for me. There are few absolutes and what works for one is unacceptable to someone else....again, depends on all the details. Some friends I'd trust with my life...others I wouldn't trust to mail a letter for me....So it just depends. Some folks are sloppy...some are highly disciplined. But none of that is a CCW license criteria.

I sometimes carry mine in my laptop bag. I know that most consider that a very bad idea but I do it anyway. However when I carry my laptop I keep it close. The story about the woman staring at her purse on the other side of the table is a good one. If you do have it in your purse or briefcase keep it at your side not away from you. Here in SC if you have a CWP your purse, briefcase is considered part of your clothing so if you leave it lying around you could be charged wih going naked. :no:

If you don't carry it on you keep it close. However no one in their right mind would say that carrying in a purse is as good as carrying on your body. But having my gun on me while in my speedo may stick our more than my belly and that would not be good. :biggrin:

I sometimes carry mine in my laptop bag. I know that most consider that a very bad idea but I do it anyway. However when I carry my laptop I keep it close. The story about the woman staring at her purse on the other side of the table is a good one. If you do have it in your purse or briefcase keep it at your side not away from you. Here in SC if you have a CWP your purse, briefcase is considered part of your clothing so if you leave it lying around you could be charged wih going naked. :no:

If you don't carry it on you keep it close. However no one in their right mind would say that carrying in a purse is as good as carrying on your body. But having my gun on me while in my speedo may stick our more than my belly and that would not be good. :biggrin:

Nah...my belly sticks out farther than my weapon (gun! gun! not THAT weapon!) when I'm wearing my speedo...You must be pretty trim, FN1910.

I am not trim by any means but I don't think my belly would cover my gun. Either way if you catch me in a speedo then take my gun and use it to put me out of my and everyone else's misery. :biggrin:

At one time or another I have tried every conceivable mode of carry. None are perfect; however, one way that seems to work better than others is to have 'my woman' occasionally carry a piece for me inside of her handbag.

She, in turn, uses a: high security, under-the-shoulder, 'wineskin' handbag in order to effectively conceal my pistol. (It's OK; she is also licensed-to-carry by the Commonwealth.) So far, over the past 5 years, so good! ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I learned this method of carry from young gangbangers in Allentown, PA. One afternoon I had occasion to interact with a group of them; and, almost immediately, I noticed that many of the young 'Chiquitas' were armed with small easily concealable pistols which they didn't necessarily own!

Really serious gang issues! Allentown is a focal point for the NYC drug trade. Apparently NYC street drugs sell for high premium here. Only place I've ever been where the police came rushing into a large gun shop's parking lot in order to stop 5 or 6 girls from purchasing handguns.

The store owner must have called the 'po-po' because he was worried about getting caught up in a 'straw-man' type of purchase. When the police arrived two of the girls bolted out a door; and, voilà, the chase was on!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back