carry gun for women

longnkrnchgm

What is the most popular carry gun for women? Trying to help my wife choose one.

Chances are she'll make a choice and then her tastes will change. For carry, I like the Ruger LCP, although I hate shooting it. I also like my S&W 637. Both of these are for on-body carry. If I carry a purse (not normally) I can take something bigger(EMP, XD or Beretta 92)

On forums I see that lots of people like the Glock 19, 26, 27 and Bersa Thunder as well as a couple of Taurus that must be slim.

Remember-Women's pockets usually are not deep enough for pocket carry. IWB is the best bet for good concealment. Get ready to spend a gun's worth of money on holsters.

I don't know what's most popular, but I like my XD(M) and LC9, in IWB holsters from comp-tac & cross breed.

Take her to a range that rents guns. Let her handle a few and shoot a few. Once she pulls the trigger she may change her mind as to what she wants to carry. As we gain skill and experience we often change our carry gun. Let this be her decision. Your job is to dispense information and encourage.

My wife loves her lcp with an iwb holster or ankle rig. However if she likes to shoot a lot at the range you may have to get something easier to shot like i did with my wife, now we have a p22 for range dates.

Caribou:288253 said:
Take her to a range that rents guns. Let her handle a few and shoot a few. Once she pulls the trigger she may change her mind as to what she wants to carry. As we gain skill and experience we often change our carry gun. Let this be her decision. Your job is to dispense information and encourage.
Totally if you buy her a present handgun like a stub nose revolver you should be slapped. Not sure why gun store guys try and push these small guns on women. My father in law does this. Buys his girls all model 60 Smith's! And what do ya know my wife hates shooting it but loves my full sized XDM 40.
Let her choose on her own and get her professional training.

It's all about what she wants, what she can handle and what is effective for desired level of protection.

I am trying to get my wife to pick one as well. She has a 642 and doesn't like shooting it, and she doesn't like my Kahr. She wants a manual safety, which is something that none of my guns have, so that means we will be buying a new one. Which is something I never complain about.

Definitely take her to try several different guns and let her choose. She will be much more interested and more likely to continue to carry if she decides what she likes. I looked around for a while and fell in love with my Sig p238. I am definitely a 1911 girl, so it made sense. Have fun on the hunt!

Caribou makes a good point in that what you or I might think she will like, may not be what she will like. So, she should check a few different models at least for feel, balance and comfort in her hand. She might feel that a Full sized Semi-Auto feels best in her hand or she may feel that a sub-compact fits her best. My Wife does not like the weight of my H&K USP .40SW but has held a compact version of the same and liked how it felt in her hand, but did not like the size of it for a Concealed Carry Pistol. So we looked for something smaller.

Remember-Women's pockets usually are not deep enough for pocket carry.

There are many sub-compact .380 ACP's and 9 MM's out there that can easily be carried in a pocket. One good example of this is the Taurus 738 CP .380 ACP is less than a pound in weight and easily fits in most pockets with it's 3 x 5 or 6 inch size. The Taurus 709 is another that weighs just over a pound see the specs at Link Removed

...Remember-Women's pockets usually are not deep enough for pocket carry..
I wear men's denim shorts in spring, summer, and fall ...they have deeeeepppppppp pockets, the point being, if I IWB i will have to buy a bigger sized pants anyway. Either way, my butt will look big, so what the heck? The smallest of a man short short is a little bit wide on the waistline but it fits my needs plus 6 more deeper pockets. Just tighten the belt a little...Even my Bersa doesn't even print.

My wife had a Taurus TCP 730 .380, but just yesterday she traded it our local gun store for a Ruger LCP with Crimson Trace laser, she loves it

Just last weekend I had a woman student in my Pistol Safety class that was interested in CC. She thought she liked a G26. Great gun, but concealing it would be tough with her skinny stretchy jeans and no cover garment. Tried to explain about dressing around the gun. She also thought she would like the LCP. Easy to conceal but takes some training to deal with recoil.

Also tried to explain about using .22 to train and keep bad habits to a minimum before moving on to a centerfire.

I am trying to get my wife to pick one as well. She has a 642 and doesn't like shooting it, and she doesn't like my Kahr. She wants a manual safety, which is something that none of my guns have, so that means we will be buying a new one. Which is something I never complain about.

If I am understanding you correctly, she packs a S&W 642 .38 spec revolver and you are looking for something she might like that has a safety to it.
I might suggest the H&K USP Compact. It comes in various calibers, is basically ambidextrous (can be set up for left or right hand shooters) and you if I am not mistaken, you can have it configured with a Safety/decock lever. If that is the case, then it can be safely carried with a round in the pipe by decocking it, and then give it added safety by flipping the safety from decock to Safe.
Worth checking out.
Link Removed

My wife carries the Ruger LCR in .357. She switches between IWB and purse carry (which I have told her I do not like).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back