Carry at Work?

Zippo74

So here is a dilemma

I live in a Small Town ( 3000 people) And I work at probibly the busiest stores in town.

We are a Small Mom and Pops type Pharmacy we also have a Hallmark Store and a Radio Shack in the store. Really its a neat idea.

About 2 weeks ago I approached my boss and asked her. " what are your feelings on armed employees. With everything thats been going on and the kids on teh street breaking into every other house in town for prescription drugs i was just wondering what you thought."

her responce was.." NO WAY..... I dont think much of it at all.. If something were to ever happen that would come back on the store and not on the individual I dont think its even leagle to have a firearm in a Pharmacy."

I explained to her that there was no law against it and that more than likely there would not be an incidient if those that were carring had proper training.

She then said " well I already have a gun in the safe " ( wait a minute.....didnt you just say it was ileagle in a pharmacy )

At that point I asked her what good that was... If something were to happen and they had an issue in the pharmacy was she going to ask the BG to hang on a second while she runs to the safe finds the 35 year old revolver..and then more than likely asks me how to make it work and pray it doesnt blow up on her...

** sigh **

So at that point I have no idea what to do...

I explained to her.... that its my right.... I didnt even have to ask.. I did it out of respect....

And after asking I was left feeling like a criminal myself. So to that end.. What should I do? I suppose I could sew her for cival rights infraction.. But that would certainly be the end of my job there. ( which might not be such a bad thing.)

I dont know...She is stong headed and I dont think that I would be able to change her mind... So I dont know what I should do.

Maybe I should just carry anyway... Im not breaking any laws.... Its not posted.. And even if she were to post it now...I doubt it would matter...

Again.. just trying to add a little discussion here.

Careful

unless you are in a location where businesses are specifically banned from prohibiting employees to carry guns. Those locations are very few and far between. It would be extremely unwise to threaten her with a civil suit when you have no basis for the claim. She is well within her rights to establish a policy prohibiting firearms by employees on the clock, regardless of whether the place is posted or not.

While you are presenting sound reasoning on the subject her property right trumps your carry right in almost every instance. You can, of course, choose to try to stay concealed and if ever asked simply lie or refuse to answer. Don't be surprised though if she fires you as a result. If she has properly established a policy then you won't even get unemployment. Good Luck and try to chip away slowly at her without threatening or alarming her is my advice.

It's a little late, but I don't ask a question I may not like the answer too.
If it's not illegal and it's concealed - hopefully the only way she would know is when/if you need the peace maker!

If you have it and don't need it - no problems.
If you need it and don't have it :eek: RIP.

Good luck

Grant

Try it if you want but

be prepared for the results when/if you are "outted". Personally, I regard it as performing to a lower moral standard but it can certainly be debated that one is being true to their own ethical beliefs. Ours is a society of law and if you have never seen how helpless and lacking in initiative a society without rule of law is then you have no idea how lucky you were to be born where you were. It's the law in our land. If you have the strength of your convictions, then don't go where you aren't allowed. If it is that important to you, then: stay away from Chicago, don't work where you can't carry, plan your trips through states where you are legal and so on. If it really pisses you off, then clean up and run for elected office on your convictions. But, if Simon Properties or Mrs. Beasley's Pharmacy don't want me or my kind in their business, then I will take my business elsewhere if possible or follow the law if I cannot find an alternative source. Do what you gotta' do and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm all for the don't ask don't tell. I'm sure if the question was never brought up and there was a situation where you were able to save her store because you were armed well within your rights, she would be thanking you in her prayers..

and I "like" the contradiction too. why does she have a gun in a safe if from her own mouth and beliefs it is illigal?

To Clarify

I am in no way shape or form even thinking of sewing her..

It was just a thought and possible option...

Again.. was just putting the question out there on how you would react.

be prepared for the results when/if you are "outted". Personally, I regard it as performing to a lower moral standard but it can certainly be debated that one is being true to their own ethical beliefs. Ours is a society of law and if you have never seen how helpless and lacking in initiative a society without rule of law is then you have no idea how lucky you were to be born where you were. It's the law in our land. If you have the strength of your convictions, then don't go where you aren't allowed. If it is that important to you, then: stay away from Chicago, don't work where you can't carry, plan your trips through states where you are legal and so on. If it really pisses you off, then clean up and run for elected office on your convictions. But, if Simon Properties or Mrs. Beasley's Pharmacy don't want me or my kind in their business, then I will take my business elsewhere if possible or follow the law if I cannot find an alternative source. Do what you gotta' do and let the chips fall where they may.

+1 Well said.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back