Carry a Sig cocked?

Biblical1st

A friend of mine is preparing to purchase CCW. While he really likes the Sig 229, he prefers SA over DA/SA.

He's wondering if carrying a cocked DA/SA Sig with a round chambered would be as safe as carrying a M&P or a Glock with a round chambered. I'm pretty sure all three guns have both drop and firing pin safeties. Since he is getting a high quality holster, he isn't concerned with the light trigger pull, which is really pretty similar for these three guns (4.4, 6.5 and 5.5 lbs. respectively).

If you would carry a M&P with a round chambered, would you feel safe carrying a cocked Sig with a round chambered? If not, can you explain why?

Thank you and God bless. :)

If you are refering to carry with the hammer cocked back I would not recommend it. Why would anyone want to do that with a double action? On a double action the gun is ready to fire with the hammer down. That is the purpose of carrying one instead of a single action. That would defeat the whole reason for using a double action to begin with and would increase the risk of a negligent discharge. If you are just talking about a round in the chamber then absolutly. No problem.

I have a 239,220 SA/DA with one in the chamber, use the decocking lever, now it is ready to fire double action.This carry method is as safe as Glock or any other SA/DA.

Thank you Husker Sig and HK4U.

If you are referring to carry with the hammer cocked back I would not recommend it. Why would anyone want to do that with a double action? On a double action the gun is ready to fire with the hammer down. That is the purpose of carrying one instead of a single action. That would defeat the whole reason for using a double action to begin with and would increase the risk of a negligent discharge. If you are just talking about a round in the chamber then absolutely. No problem.

HK4U, yes I was referring to carrying with the hammer cocked back. He is leaning toward a single action, however, a small frame 1911 is about twice as expensive as a Sig without any increase in reliability so far as I know. I'm just wondering if the carrying a cocked Sig is any less safe than carrying a cocked S&W M&P. I can't see how either the cocked Sig or the M&P would be any more prone to accidental discharge or negligent discharge.

Thanks again for your input. :)

Last edited:
I carry my p220 with one in the chamber and use the decocker. Wouldn't carry it any other way. Never had a problem. I would also suggest a high quality holster.

Thank you Husker Sig and HK4U.

HK4U, yes I was referring to carrying with the hammer cocked back. He is leaning toward a single action, however, a small frame 1911 is about twice as expensive as a Sig without any increase in reliability so far as I know. I'm just wondering if the carrying a cocked Sig is any less safe than carrying a cocked S&W M&P. I can't see how either the cocked Sig or the M&P would be any more prone to accidental discharge or negligent discharge.

Thanks again for your input. :)

By design Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, etc are actually single action guns with built in safeties. Sigs are DA/SA. Carrying a Sig, hammer cocked is very dangeruos as that is not the way they are designed. There is no safety other than the double action first pull, not counting the firing pin drop safeties of course. From what you are describing that you are looking for, you should take a good look at the Taurus 24/7 or Millenium series guns. I own 3 and all have been flawless with several thousand rounds of all sorts of ammo. They are also very reasonablly priced, $350.00-$550.00.

Good Luck!!!

If you want to carry with the hammer cocked, then carry a gun that was designed to be carried in such a manner, like a 1911.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back