Carry a round chambered or not?

We were trained in the USMC (1911 A1) to drop the safety while
simultaneously pulling the trigger.

Safety is never off unless engaging a target.

Safety is immediately snapped on after engaging target until new threat rears it head.

Swat teams prefer this weapon because of safety and speed while engaging target.

Most jams I've seen with automatics occur while chambering the first round.

Due to debris in the chamber, magazine too full and "limp wristing" the weapon.

Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until the weapon is clear of your body and "friendly" folks.

Some newer weapons come with a ridge to rest the trigger finger on when not engaging a target.

Wallace Crawford

trpwire:277407 said:
We were trained in the USMC (1911 A1) to drop the safety while
simultaneously pulling the trigger.

Safety is never off unless engaging a target.

Safety is immediately snapped on after engaging target until new threat rears it head.

Wallace Crawford

Rise of the dead thread :) its all good.

What I wanted to really say was, its interesting that you were taught to simultaneously snap off safety and pull trigger. It seems a lot of 1911 carriers snap safety off as soon as it leaves the holster.

Anyone want to go into further detail as to when you take the safety off? And why?

Almost always. Only time I don't is after returning from Illinois. When I have to go to Illinois I have to unload firearm & lock firearm separate from ammo. When I get back across state line I stop & reload, sometimes I don't rechamber a round right away .

Anyone want to go into further detail as to when you take the safety off? And why?

Since I carry a DA/SA CZ75B or a DA/SA CZ2075 RAMI or a DA/SA (I'm begining to see a pattern here) S&W 6906. I never put the saftey on. One less thing to screw up under pressure

The bad guy won't give you time to load a round into the chamber. It's almost ignorant not to carry one in the chamber. That's like carrying around a pen with no ink. What's the point?

Same reason required "de-cocking" a SA-DA semi auto after submission by perp.
To avoid AD (accidental discharge).

Required by most departments for liability reasons.

Thats why we are trained and only allowed to use a revolver in the double action mode.

Heaven forbid you get caught in a "hammer back" condition with a revolver.

Many injuries have happened because some one was suddenly startled or stumbled on something.

And folks..............thats my 2 cents worth

Wallace Crawford
Sheep Dog
Link Removed

Semper Fi

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member