Carry a Knife?

Jeff S

JSGlock26
I carry a Glock 26 here in upstate NY. I have read some different opinions here and there pertaining to carrying a knife. I wanted some of your opinions on this site. I really don't have much of a need regarding everyday use for a knife. Maybe the periodic open a box thing, but not much beyond that regarding work or personal. I read somewhere yesterday that having less lethal items looks better to others heaven forbid you are in a situation where you have to use your pistol to defend yourself. You don't look like you only were looking to shoot someone in the eyes of the system. Eventhough I lead a very boring life and don't put myself in bad situations, I understand you can't always plan the way things will go. Does it make sense to carry a knife if you carry a gun, eventhough I have no training with a knife and not any real use for one everyday?

I always carry a knife. You should never rely on one single method of defense. I have training in both hand to hand ar well as edged weapons combat. You never know when you might get your gun knocked out of your hand mr bust not have time to draw it.

Nick.

Knives have multiple applications including cutting yourself out of your seatbelt sliding the latch off a door and many other escape methods that can save your life plus a sudden move for your gun can get you shot while a subtle move for your knife may save you

always have something.

I am fairly new to cc (6-8 mos) but have carried a knife since I can remember. Never in high school due to regs but I always thought of my knife as a tool. Like pinnacle said you can use it for near about anything. it's kind of like my back up. If I'm somewhere I can't cc legally then I feel a little better knowing that I've got my knife. But my xd is another tool. As in most occupations people say you have to have the right tool for the job. So I guess having more than one tool (cc pistol) at your disposal is good for multiple situations.

If you want another option for a tool and for defense as stated above, I recommend the Spyderco Delica 4 with emmerson opener. If you can find one, its quick, sharp, durable, and short enough to pass the "thug's weapon" test. With practice (trainer drones available) its very effective in the right hands. If you want a longer blade, the endura 4 is just a bigger version. Check it out.

... I read somewhere yesterday that having less lethal items looks better to others heaven forbid you are in a situation where you have to use your pistol to defend yourself. You don't look like you only were looking to shoot someone in the eyes of the system...

Please be aware that most localities will not view a knife as a "less-than-lethal" weapon. Most states will define a deadly weapon something like this...

" ...For purposes of this section, a deadly weapon is an implement or instrument which has the capacity to inflict death and from the manner in which it is used, is likely to produce or may easily and readily produce death..."

Although some localities will list certain characteristics that will enhance that definition, such as blade length or operation.

I carry a combat knife and pepper/mace spray.

During LTC training cources they mentioned the laws were written expecting you to run or deflect the situation or to use non-lethal devices before more lethal. The cop who was doing the training started to pull out his knife and keychain canister of pepper spray.

So the expectations are:
1. run
2. non-lethal
3. Lethal (and you better have a good reason)

BTW, this is all for Massachusetts.

i always have my knife, never know when u might need to cut somthing, break somthing or use it to help pop somthing open or sooo many countless uses. if its not in mypocket its in my car just incase i need to break out the window or cut a seat belt. i use my knife for almost everything. besides its a $20 investment ( well the one i really want is a spyderco police model~$120) but my mastercutlery knife is super sharp and its never let me down holding an edge. hell i just used it for 8 hrs the other day cutting down boxes and other things around my home after i moved. really came in handy then insted of my steak knives.

Have carried a knife most of my life, when I was younger it was not uncommon to see rifle or shotgun in pickup at school. Times have changed.

Guns are only good for killing things. Once it is dead you need a knife to skin it and disembowell it to throw it in a pan!

Knife; an excellent addition to your CCW arsenal, also baton

Does it make sense to carry a knife if you carry a gun, eventhough I have no training with a knife and not any real use for one everyday?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Jeff, it makes excellent sense. A firearm is a "distance weapon" - it is best used when the shooter is beyond arm's reach, and the way to make it ineffective is to close the distance and knock it aside. A knife is a "close weapon" and the way to make it ineffective is get out of range. Negate a distance weapon by closing in, negate a close weapon by moving away.

Actually, this forum is for discussion of "less lethal weapons", but, when used effectively and within it's range, a knife is MORE lethal than a firearm. A knife can do a LOT more tissue damage, and can create a LOT more, and faster, blood loss, resulting in death much quicker than a gunshot to any body part that is not instantly fatal. And for a "fight in a phonebooth" close-quarters battle, a knife is WAY more dangerous than a gun.

I always carry a knife, and usually 2-3 of them. In CCW, I usually carry a CRKT CK Dragon, or a Cold Steel Roach Belly (fixed blade belt knives). I'd actually rather carry a Cold Steel Trailmaster or similar (big-ass bowie), but they are difficult to conceal and still access quickly. I almost always have a folder or 2 on me, also, but they are my daily "user" knives, not for combat. I modified the belt knife sheaths so that I carry them "reverse draw" (blade forward on my right side, like carrying a left-hand sheath on the right). That way, I can draw in one motion, with the blade coming out the bottom of my fist, and can immediately both strike with my fist and also slash with the knife, as part of the drawing motion. I can stab with the point as I withdraw my fist. For VERY close quarters, speed is essential, and this is the fastest method.

Just FYI, because of the legal implications, a possible better close-up weapon might be a telescoping steel baton, like an ASP. It's lethal when used on the neck or head (and courts will hold that you intended to kill if you strike for the head or neck), but breaks an attack and disables the attacker when striking elsewhere. It's easy to knock away weapons and break bones when up close with a baton, and you can do a lot of damage to an attacker without killing him. You can also use the baton in Hanbo (cane) strikes and to aid in joint-locks. When not extended, the baton can be used as a Kubotan or Yawara stick, also. Plus, most cops will pat you on the back for carrying a baton instead of a knife. And, slamming one out and getting in "ready" position (held vertically, guarding your collarbone, on your dominant side), serves as a clear deterrent and threat, to end fights before they begin, whereas you'll get arrested if you brandish a gun that way. The only downside to a baton is that a 26-incher (which I recommend) is heavy, long, and hard to find a way to carry that is both concealable and fast to draw. Don't cheap out and buy the cheap ones though, except for practice and training - they bend and break. Cough up the cash and buy an ASP. Hang a rug over a clothesline and practice striking on it. There are plenty of YouTube videos on basic baton training.

I carry a knife (switch blade) my second line of defense. My question is this: I recently found out that here in Fla even with the CCW permit if you are caught with a knife in Miami you will go to jail, now you can carry a gun but not a knife, doesn't make since to me. Trying to find out what counties in Fla have the same type of law. Might be something others would want to check out for their states??

Being that the original poster is from NY, throw all that stuff about batons and switchblades out the window. (Sound advice though it may be.) Be sure to be familiar with articles 35 and 265 of the NYS Penal Law if you choose to carry alternate weapons. These sections illustrate what you can and can't carry, and when you can and can't use them. Basically you're limited to short, folding knives that don't look like they were designed for combat. Pay particular attention to:
S 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth
degree when:
(1) He possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun
gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal
knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles,
chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or
slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or
(2) He possesses any dagger, dangerous knife, dirk, razor, stiletto,
imitation pistol, or any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon
with intent to use the same unlawfully against another;

That's a lot of crap to know the definitions of. But they're all outlined in the penal law, and if you want to protect yourself responsibly, you have to at the very least give a passing glance to this stuff.

Yes, carry a knife and whatever else you can. Best to not rely on on self defense device. I carry a spyderco folder (best gift from my wife) in my pocket and a leatherman multi-tool and fixed blade in my backpack.

Have carried a knife longer than have carried a gun, not much longer but a little, auto folder never leave home without it or the gun.

I always have at least one knife on me except when flying. The only other time I might be without one is when going somewhere with a metal detector. I tend to avoid those places anyway. I've never thought carrying less lethal means was worth the hassle. The OP states that it might look good if you have to shoot someone. My viewpoint is better to avoid the second guessing of why didn't you use something less lethal, you had it with you. The less lethal thing is a matter of personal choice just like the make, caliber, and carry style of your EDC.

YMOS,
Tony

A rock and a stick are better than nothing. I can at least put a flashlight a pen and a pocket knife into that same context.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back