Canton Police Officer Under Investigation After Concealed Carry Arrest

you can't fire them,their in a union

On the contrary,it would be very easy to fire the officer, union or not. His actions were criminal and in violation of the police procedures everywhere. The city's Personnel Board has more than enough ammunition to fire him and, in the process, possibly take disciplinary action against his superiors for allowing him to continue to threaten citizens. A union would have a hard time defending this fellow.

On the contrary,it would be very easy to fire the officer, union or not. His actions were criminal and in violation of the police procedures everywhere. The city's Personnel Board has more than enough ammunition to fire him and, in the process, possibly take disciplinary action against his superiors for allowing him to continue to threaten citizens. A union would have a hard time defending this fellow.
You couldn't be more wrong. Read this: Killed On Camera | Feature | Chicago Reader

Weems was NEVER fired. He recently shot himself.

Harless hasn't (that we KNOW OF) murdered anybody... yet.

you can't fire them,their in a union
Like hell I can't. Unions never stopped me before. In this case I would charge him with a misdemeanor and have the DA get his resignation as part of any plea deal. He's dangerous to the general public.

Like hell I can't. Unions never stopped me before. In this case I would charge him with a misdemeanor and have the DA get his resignation as part of any plea deal. He's dangerous to the general public.
Very unlikely, given that that would be construed as an admission of the victim's defense in criminal court. The city wants to prosecute the victim... no matter how much it ultimately costs.

To the best of my knowledge, a misdemeanor conviction (except for domestic violence, and that only because it bars possession of a firearm) is not an absolute bar to employment as a cop. The cheerleaders for the Chicago cop who tried to kick the barmaid to death, those who admitted that he'd even done anything wrong AT ALL, wanted him AT MOST, convicted of a misdemeanor so that he could stay on the job.

You couldn't be more wrong. Read this: Killed On Camera | Feature | Chicago Reader

Weems was NEVER fired. He recently shot himself.

Harless hasn't (that we KNOW OF) murdered anybody... yet.

The incident to which you refer was indeed unfortunate and criminal. One thing I noticed, it was in Chicago. Considering all the different echelons within large metropolitan police forces, these things can and do happen. I don't remember Chicago ever being the poster child for law enforcement nor the City of New York. I don't have an answer except to fire the whole bunch and start completely over. We all know that isn't going to happen so you weed out all you can, when you can. Canton isn't such a large city that they can't do something. You have to start somewhere and that officer needs to be first!

Couple things.
1. Never leave your vehicle unless ordered too.
2. Dont wave your license around... one must verbally notify in Ohio & produce a license upon request.
3. Hands where they can be seen on the steering wheel.
4. Speak loud, clear and notify, even if you have to interrupt the officer, finish your sentence. Do not tell stories or explain ... NOTIFY!
5. Move slow and with clear intent. (One shouldnt need to move at all when verbally informing, but may need to move in order to obtain their DL and CHL)
6. Do not touch your gun, unless ordered too.

7. Carry a voice recorder.

8. Don't stop to chat up a HO.

Very unlikely, given that that would be construed as an admission of the victim's defense in criminal court. The city wants to prosecute the victim... no matter how much it ultimately costs.

To the best of my knowledge, a misdemeanor conviction (except for domestic violence, and that only because it bars possession of a firearm) is not an absolute bar to employment as a cop. The cheerleaders for the Chicago cop who tried to kick the barmaid to death, those who admitted that he'd even done anything wrong AT ALL, wanted him AT MOST, convicted of a misdemeanor so that he could stay on the job.
If you give him a good enough plea offer he'd go willingly. As counsel to the NYC BOE, that's the exact technique my good friend used to terminate bad teachers in NYC. Perverts and such. Get their teaching license as part of their misdemeanor plea deal. No more teacher. No union problems.

But the nature of this guy's behavior is egregious. It's bad. He's a liability risk to the city and a danger to the public. If you or I say those exact words to someone on video, while armed, we would sure as sh_t get pinched.

Couple things.
2. Dont wave your license around... one must verbally notify in Ohio & produce a license upon request.
4. Speak loud, clear and notify, even if you have to interrupt the officer, finish your sentence. Do not tell stories or explain ... NOTIFY!
5. Move slow and with clear intent. (One shouldnt need to move at all when verbally informing, but may need to move in order to obtain their DL and CHL)

ROFLMAO!!

Couple things.

I realize you are serious and I have lived in the US for more than a decade. But I am from Germany originally and I have to tell you THAT sounds like a list I would NOT want to see in what is supposed the "leader of the free world".

If you give him a good enough plea offer he'd go willingly. As counsel to the NYC BOE, that's the exact technique my good friend used to terminate bad teachers in NYC. Perverts and such. Get their teaching license as part of their misdemeanor plea deal. No more teacher. No union problems.

But the nature of this guy's behavior is egregious. It's bad. He's a liability risk to the city and a danger to the public. If you or I say those exact words to someone on video, while armed, we would sure as sh_t get pinched.
Up to this very moment, it appears that the prosecutor is FAR more interested in falsely prosecuting the victim than in prosecuting Officer Harless. In fact, as far as we know, the prosecutor thinks that Harless is a "Real American Hero". Certainly no charges have been filed against HIM. That's almost CERTAINLY because his prosecution of the victim is his foremost priority. He KNOWS the charges are false. He's only interested in intimidating the victim into not seeking redress in civil court. Probably by this point, he's also interested in punishing the victim for embarrassing the city.

It's the legal equivalent of a Japanese officer, in an insensate rage, charging a Marine Corps Sherman tank, waving his samurai sword over his head and driving a gaggle of schoolgirls in front of him. The result's pretty predictable, but the guy with the sword doesn't care.

I realize you are serious and I have lived in the US for more than a decade. But I am from Germany originally and I have to tell you THAT sounds like a list I would NOT want to see in what is supposed the "leader of the free world".

It is a sad state of affairs in our country right now. This is starting to become reminiscent of Nazi Germany and the Gestapo. I'm afraid you haven't seen anything yet. The elitists of this country are trying to subjugate us to absolute fear of authorities and eliminate all of our constitutional rights. Guns are a prime target and, when taken away, will leave us defenseless in an already deteriorating society. Government entities are increasisngly developing their own law enforcement agencies and will soon rival the military, a goal which our leader said he wanted when he came into office. If something isn't done to stop the Liberal tide, we will all suffer tremendously. Hopefully, The Republicans with the Tea Partyers and anyone else they can get to come along will help save this country. If not, Zeig Heil!

#6 is really important

I had a CHP friend that was an expert at catching drunk drivers. Because of that talent he had a lot of contact with politicans, attorneys, district attoneys and other law officers. Some of which seemed to have a penchant for DWI and were licensed to carry guns. He told me he never let any of them unholster their gun he always did it for them with his drawn.
In the case of thevCanton O. Guy i would have made a formal request for a supervising officer on the scene and would have been happy to wait for his/her arrival. It used to be the law in Ohio that such a request was to be honored.

I had a CHP friend that was an expert at catching drunk drivers. Because of that talent he had a lot of contact with politicans, attorneys, district attoneys and other law officers. Some of which seemed to have a penchant for DWI and were licensed to carry guns. He told me he never let any of them unholster their gun he always did it for them with his drawn.
In the case of thevCanton O. Guy i would have made a formal request for a supervising officer on the scene and would have been happy to wait for his/her arrival. It used to be the law in Ohio that such a request was to be honored.

The only problem there is that the LEO would have probably shot the guy in a fit of anger. He seems to already have anger issues so it would be better to not exacerbate the situation. Stay alive and do your complaining the next day.

There maybe a lot more going on here than meets the eye. Another web site posted a video of the Canton Mayor ranting that the common person should not have access to fire arms. The police officers may have been following covert harassment orders issued by the mayor. It is not the first time I have heard of such occurrences.
In this battle for freedom there are a lot of politicians that like to make up their own laws and selectively enforce the existing law. When people are frightened they cry to the politicians for help which gives them more power. You might be right the officer might have shot the guy like he kept saying so he could sleep good at night. A guy who likes to fantasize and vocalize about murdering unarmed innocent citizens is one screwed up personality and should not be wearing any kind of uniform except maybe a straight jacket. This isn't the first time this guy has ranted like that and none of his fellow officers on the scene tried to rein him in. Makes me think there is something rotten in Canton and it goes all the way to the top.

There maybe a lot more going on here than meets the eye. Another web site posted a video of the Canton Mayor ranting that the common person should not have access to fire arms. The police officers may have been following covert harassment orders issued by the mayor. It is not the first time I have heard of such occurrences.
I believe that you're referring to the City Council President, a Mr. Schulman, NOT the Mayor.

Up to this very moment, it appears that the prosecutor is FAR more interested in falsely prosecuting the victim than in prosecuting Officer Harless. In fact, as far as we know, the prosecutor thinks that Harless is a "Real American Hero". Certainly no charges have been filed against HIM. That's almost CERTAINLY because his prosecution of the victim is his foremost priority. He KNOWS the charges are false. He's only interested in intimidating the victim into not seeking redress in civil court. Probably by this point, he's also interested in punishing the victim for embarrassing the city.
Sad but true.

It is a sad state of affairs in our country right now. This is starting to become reminiscent of Nazi Germany and the Gestapo. I'm afraid you haven't seen anything yet. The elitists of this country are trying to subjugate us to absolute fear of authorities and eliminate all of our constitutional rights. Guns are a prime target and, when taken away, will leave us defenseless in an already deteriorating society. Government entities are increasisngly developing their own law enforcement agencies and will soon rival the military, a goal which our leader said he wanted when he came into office. If something isn't done to stop the Liberal tide, we will all suffer tremendously. Hopefully, The Republicans with the Tea Partyers and anyone else they can get to come along will help save this country. If not, Zeig Heil!
Grunt has it correct. The intent of the second amendment was to ensure Americans remained free from a tyrannical government such as that of King George III. It is based on the premise that all freedom shall exist at the end of a gun. To disarm Americans is to prevent the will of the people from governing. This tactic was used by Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Mao, Castro, Kim Jung iL and Colonol Qaddifi Fried Chicken. The destruction or re-interpretation of the second amendment renders the Declaration of independence and the premise of freedom upon which America was founded to be defunct.

:stop:

Remember these words of liberty in the declaration...

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

READ IT... LEARN IT... KNOW IT... FOR IT DEFINES WHO WE ARE AS A PEOPLE! DO NOT FORGET YOUR FOUNDING FATHERS SACRIFICE AS WE ARE CLEARY A NATION ABOVE ALL OTHERS IN FREEDOM!!!

Now I'll get off my soapbox. :rap:

That LEO needs to make baskets from now on. He has had too much time on the clock to properly deal with a day to day stress of law enforcement.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back