Canton Police Officer Under Investigation After Concealed Carry Arrest

Unless something has changed here in Tennessee since I took the class and got my carry permit (here it is carry permit, not concelaed carry permit). In fact the fellow who did the video that we watched was Ellis Marshall. Ellis is a Tennessee Highway Patrolman and a lawyer. He was teaching at the Highway Patrol Academy at that time and he advised not to inform. He explained that even though we had a right to carry openly, it is better to carry concealed. When you notify someone you are carrying you have lost the edge that concealed carry gives you. Ellis is actually a friend and is of the opinion that legal carry by citizens is a good thing.

So, I got to ask here... what exactly would the officer have had to do to actually be criminal?!?
Don't know about Ohio but in NY the comments about shooting him would substantiate Misdemeanor Harassment (2-3 counts). The comment about pulling him over every time he sees him would also qualify as Official Misconduct.

----------------------

S 195.00 Official misconduct.
A public servant is guilty of official misconduct when, with intent to obtain a benefit or deprive another person of a benefit:
1. He commits an act relating to his office but constituting an unauthorized exercise of his official functions, knowing that such act is unauthorized; or
2. He knowingly refrains from performing a duty which is imposed upon him by law or is clearly inherent in the nature of his office.
Official misconduct is a class A misdemeanor.

----------------------

S 240.25 Harassment in the first degree. A person is guilty of harassment in the first degree when he or she intentionally and repeatedly harasses another person by following such person in or about a public place or places or by engaging in a course of conduct or by repeatedly committing acts which places such person in reasonable fear of physical injury.
Harassment in the first degree is a class B misdemeanor.

S 240.26 Harassment in the second degree. A person is guilty of harassment in the second degre
e when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person:
1. He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or
2. He or she follows a person in or about a public place or places; or
3. He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no legitimate purpose.

----------------------

The LEO did threaten to shoot him ten times and not lose any sleep over it. He did threaten to pull him over without cause everytime he sees him. That's enough to invoke fear and alarm in a guy who didn't do anything. It's over the line man. He should be ashamed.

What would the other posters do if a certain LEO targeted you and pulled them over every time he saw them? Without cause? Constantly... just as he promised? Would that be tolerable?

and kiss his aXX and say please don't shoot me!
What about a professional policeofficer walking up to the car with all the safety steps still in play and say sir I stopped you because you broke this law can I see your dL Oh you have ccw permitt Ok I will be right back. write the ticket run the dl and if you can find out if the ccw permitt is good then give the ticket tell the driver to be careful and let him go. or is your state cops so scared you have to yell and scream I GOT A PERMITT DON"T KILL ME!!!!! well you have been trained by a swat cop so they must be shooting us down like flys. I will scream from now out OH PLEASE KIND SIR DON"T KILL ME. you know I will add the ccw permitt stuff too. Will my wife or little girl have to scream too. or do something more so that your swat friends will not kill me? WOW I guess because it's the law and they don't have to care if someone is lawful doing something they can just shoot us or abuse us anyway they want. Cause if you don't stand up for your rights you don't have any.
I was trained by a SWAT team member...and one of the things he pointed out to us was that there are good cops and bad cops out there...and no matter WHAT...if you have to scream it out is that the first thing out of you mouth is I am a CCW permit holder with you hands stuck out the window. I do not condone the officers actions...but the permit holder should have made it clear up front with all his efforts that he was a CCP holder.. Little stupid on both parties, but 99% of CCW permit holders are not idiots, and understand the law and with all our efforts that will be the first thing we say to an officer.....with both my hands stuck out the window when stopped "Officer...I am a CCW permit holder and I have a handgun in the vehicle"...

the cop is armed and he says I should shoot you ten times and my buddy would be a witness thats armed assault.
thats more like a felony look it up in the state law not city ords.

whitetiger:215558 said:
and kiss his aXX and say please don't shoot me!
What about a professional policeofficer walking up to the car with all the safety steps still in play and say sir I stopped you because you broke this law can I see your dL Oh you have ccw permitt Ok I will be right back. write the ticket run the dl and if you can find out if the ccw permitt is good then give the ticket tell the driver to be careful and let him go. or is your state cops so scared you have to yell and scream I GOT A PERMITT DON"T KILL ME!!!!! well you have been trained by a swat cop so they must be shooting us down like flys. I will scream from now out OH PLEASE KIND SIR DON"T KILL ME. you know I will add the ccw permitt stuff too. Will my wife or little girl have to scream too. or do something more so that your swat friends will not kill me? WOW I guess because it's the law and they don't have to care if someone is lawful doing something they can just shoot us or abuse us anyway they want. Cause if you don't stand up for your rights you don't have any.
I was trained by a SWAT team member...and one of the things he pointed out to us was that there are good cops and bad cops out there...and no matter WHAT...if you have to scream it out is that the first thing out of you mouth is I am a CCW permit holder with you hands stuck out the window. I do not condone the officers actions...but the permit holder should have made it clear up front with all his efforts that he was a CCP holder.. Little stupid on both parties, but 99% of CCW permit holders are not idiots, and understand the law and with all our efforts that will be the first thing we say to an officer.....with both my hands stuck out the window when stopped "Officer...I am a CCW permit holder and I have a handgun in the vehicle"...

Dude I got 1 word for you: DECAFF

LOL yea I get hot cause you don't. You let others stand up for peoples right. or are you a cop who thinks this conduct is ok? man! you ever walk a street on patrol I have I have been in fights with bad guys as a cop.
I know about the code of being a cop. Just fed up with it. disordly conduct, and resisting arrest is how the police cover up the fact they got mad because someone back talked them or did not act meek and they push them and then beat them up. if you think thats not true. ask a judge, how many DC and resisting arrests in his court in a year, then look up the cops with the most DC N resisting arrests. WOW I bet you find a few cops with more than 10 DC n RA's in 1 year. then check how many complaints they have same names come up.
drink your decaff read your paper what do you care untill your kid get beaten up and then you get all upset .
Hey send your wife out to date real men cause you must be real exciting.
not tonight dear I got a well you know.

why is it you range safety officers never say anything bad about the police. Too scared! how many of you are policeofficers and ya know the code thing may stop you cause the other cops would think bad about you slamming other cops. So you never say the cop was wrong you got to blame the non cop guy for something. it's the ccw guy who was wrong he deserved being abused. So when a 17 year girl out past curfew and your policefriend stops her it's ok to treat her bad too, How far can he go in that abuse, what will she get. would you say something then. NO! still protecting your police friends or your JOB. would you get mad then.
or would it have to be your little girl. forget it just read your paper and let others fight for what should be done, keep telling everyone don't get excited, no problem. a man alone is easy prey, band together and we are mighty. SO join us or get the hell out of the way

I think screaming out of the car window would be a bad idea ...

nothing but standard B.S. responses. i'll say it. It cops like this and the swat team that shot up that marine in AZ. that need to be dragged into the streets and executed. Citizens should come to witness it and cheer. Cops are not your friends. they have guns and a badge. What if there had been no camera???? This guy would have been rung up on kinds of charges and left to rot. Ice-T said it and i'm going to say it, F the police.

We need to fight this ******* and his partner and thier captain. We citizens need to stand together and firm every time one of these jerks shows up, we need to demand blood and keep demanding it untill they start listening

I think it's funny most everyone here has a signature that reads like "give me liberty or death, no free man shall be denined guns,2nd amendment rights, blah blah blah, but all they say when they see this is?? "well it's just one cop, all cops are good" or "well with more training he'll be just fine on the streets", some people are defending these to jack offs. Cops are far more of a threat to you and your guns than Obama could ever dream of.

...This "I'm the only guy that can have a gun" attitude is complete BS. we are here to protect the people's rights just as much as we are here to enforce laws. Now, there obviously was a crime in progress (prostitution) and this CHL holder should not have been there or should not have been carrying at the time. The cop let the hooker go so I doubt that charge can be filed. The pimp was cuffed and stuffed for some reason that I never did hear. Dope possession? Very likely the driver will lose his CHL for being involved with the hooker and the front passenger. Still, this cop is an ass and should not hold a badge or a CHL in your state or anywhere else. Hot heads with god complexes and crap attitudes are dangerous!

I agree 100%.

I think that cop is the f'in idiot. Did he forget that he was being taped?...

"so close to caving in your G.. D... head."

"pull mine and stick it to your head."

I don't care if your a cop or not... those were crimal threats, especially since the other guy was handcuffed, under control and didn't show one hint of resist.

There is an article on "theblaze.com" today that says this same officer pulled a nearly identical stunt in July 2010, using the same lack of vocabulary and making threats toward a citizen. My question is, if this officer is continually threatening violence and abusing citizens of that city, why hasn't some form of disciplinary action (firing) taken place by now? That fellow seems to be out of control and in need of a job change. If someone gets the right lawyer, there could be a lot of people getting a job change and the city out a lot of money. I fail to see how his superiors can overlook the overt death threats he has made. If one of us ordinary citizens made a threat like that we would be under the jail!

Oldgrunt:217021 said:
There is an article on "theblaze.com" today that says this same officer pulled a nearly identical stunt in July 2010, using the same lack of vocabulary and making threats toward a citizen.

They did a VERY brief mention and showed a quick clip on the local 10 O'clock "news" about it. Seriously, their coverage of the story took all of 30 seconds. In any case the more exposure this gets the more pressure builds against those in charge to take appropriate action.

There is an article on "theblaze.com" today that says this same officer pulled a nearly identical stunt in July 2010, using the same lack of vocabulary and making threats toward a citizen. My question is, if this officer is continually threatening violence and abusing citizens of that city, why hasn't some form of disciplinary action (firing) taken place by now? That fellow seems to be out of control and in need of a job change. If someone gets the right lawyer, there could be a lot of people getting a job change and the city out a lot of money. I fail to see how his superiors can overlook the overt death threats he has made. If one of us ordinary citizens made a threat like that we would be under the jail!

If there have been previous incidents he needs to be let go.

you can't fire them,their in a union
Maybe, but you CAN make it effectively impossible for them to work as cops. The more famous they get for their antics, the more lawsuits they attract.

Based on the police report, he's already got crippling integrity issues. The odds are, the only time he'll ever testify in court again will be as the defendant in a civil suit. The greenest defense attorney would rip him to shreds on cross. I doubt any prosecutor will ever LET him testify again. His middle name is now "Reasonable Doubt".

If they can't fire them, the city will just put them to "work" guarding the impound yard, or a busted basketball hoop in a closed park.

Quite a comedown for a wouldbe "supercop".

Basically that reduces you to working personel department or "public relations".
Wouldn't that be hilarious? Him as the public relations man for the Canton PD! At every press conference, he'd threaten to murder all of the journalists.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back