Can you carry?

Evil_GT

I recently purchased a new pistol from a friend of mine. He is a Paramedic and great guy. I wanted another CCW gun that I can carry when wearing lighter clothing (Summer Clothes).

My question is this. If I am carrying this pistol, and for some reason get stopped, pulled over etc, and they run the Serial # on the gun and it does not come back to me, can I get in trouble, etc?

The seller and myself both filled out a bill of sale we made, (both have printed copies), we both signed/dated the bill of sale, and we both have copies of each others ID's attached to our bill of sale. Thought this would be the best way to do it, and the safest incase we ever needed it.

So, can I carry with this gun? Just thought I'd ask and see. I'd think it would be okay since I have our bill of sale of the firearm. But I wont have the bill of sale on me, or in my car. I guess I could if I needed to, but I'm not always in my car as I have (2) that I drive.

Thanks. All comments/input would be appreciated.

Come back to you? Are you living some place where you have to register your guns? Secondary to your question is should you happen to be stopped by a law officer that doesn't like weapons in the hands of responsible civilians, he can make your life pretty miserable for a while even if you your name did "came back" on the weapon.

In AZ, we don't register our weapons. When they run a check on the SN (if stopped), they are looking for a report that the weapon is "stolen" or somehow known to be used in a crime.

So a bit more information about your state would get you a better answer I suspect.

Sorry, should of stated that in my original post. I live in Missouri.

And to my knowledge, you DO NOT have to register guns in the state of Missouri.

Well... Yes and No. There have been a few stories near KC where officers were giving CCWrs some grief. "These are stories, but I don't have a reason to disbelieve the teller." However, for the most part no problem.
Do you carry a receipt for your pocket knife, lap top, cell phone? Nope. And not going to now either. As noted above, they are looking to see if it is stolen or used in a crime.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
YMMV.

Gun was not stolen previously, or used in a crime.

Worst case scenario from what I have browsed upon, they would take the gun and I show proof of purchase at a later time and get the gun back.

YMMV, thank you for your response.

If the gun was not registered as stolen it's not listed in any database (provided your State does not require registration as you said yours does not). So you are good.

It might be that any questions could be cleared up upon being stopped by an LEO if you simply showed your CCW badge. ;-)

I believe you will be fine. Like others have said, they will only run the serial number of the gun, to see
if it's stolen or was used in a crime.

I have had a question about this issue. What happens to the records that the FFL fills out when you buy a gun? Is that accessible to the state? If it is that is a defacto registration for anything going through an FFL.

I have had a question about this issue. What happens to the records that the FFL fills out when you buy a gun? Is that accessible to the state? If it is that is a defacto registration for anything going through an FFL.
Form 4473 stays in the FFL's files, and is not accessible by the state unless a gun is found at the scene of a crime. The LEO contacts the manufacturer. The manufacturer runs serial number; tracks sale to FFL. LEO looks at form 4473 and final purchaser's name.

It's not per se, but there have been attempts by the ATF to gobble up old records from FFLs that retire. As it is right now, it's not a backdoor registration.

Florida Statutes 790.335 sub 2

(2) PROHIBITIONS.—No state governmental agency or local government, special district, or other political subdivision or official, agent, or employee of such state or other governmental entity or any other person, public or private, shall knowingly and willfully keep or cause to be kept any list, record, or registry of privately owned firearms or any list, record, or registry of the owners of those firearms.

For what it's worth, whenever I do a private sell (both of them) I ask the buyer to meet at my favorite gun store and I have the gun store do a 4473 and background check before exchanging funds. Just to cover my behind I even did it when selling a Ruger hunting pistol to my brother. At least here in Indianapolis my store only charges $10, and I'll pay that for the peace of mind of not possibly having ATF or police show up and ask about a purchase I made being used in a crime.

My good friend is a cop ran the serial # for me at the time of purchase, it is clean. So I am good to go there!

Thanks for all of the advice.

Sorry, should of stated that in my original post. I live in Missouri.

And to my knowledge, you DO NOT have to register guns in the state of Missouri.

You sound like you've been listening to stories by cowed St. Louis residents. Seriously, not only do you not HAVE to register guns in Missouri, there is no way that you could register them even if you wanted. None. RSMO 571, the chapter on illegal use of weapons, contains nothing about registering any weapons. RSMo. 23.751 preempts the entire field of firearms regulation to the state legislature with an exception allowing lesser political subdivisions (counties, cities, etc.) to regulate OPEN CARRY of weapons. Otherwise, there can be nothing more restrictive than in the state laws.

I understand that right after Missouri's CCW law passed, some St. Louis suburbs like Hazelwood were confiscating guns and demanding proof of ownership before returning them. I've been told that stopped after Chief Wolf received a letter from the A.G.'s office explaining just how much liability he was exposing himself and the village to for doing that.

So, short answer, carry any gun you want whether you own it, your boy friend owns it, your girl friend owns it, you borrowed it from your parents or in-laws, or whatever just so long as it's not reported as stolen.

Link Removed
Link Removed

Depends on the state. In Washington, for handguns transferred by an FFL, the answer is yes. In most states, no.

For what it's worth, whenever I do a private sell (both of them) I ask the buyer to meet at my favorite gun store and I have the gun store do a 4473 and background check before exchanging funds. Just to cover my behind I even did it when selling a Ruger hunting pistol to my brother. At least here in Indianapolis my store only charges $10, and I'll pay that for the peace of mind of not possibly having ATF or police show up and ask about a purchase I made being used in a crime.

Best way to go, IMHO. (Just to be sure.)

GG

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back