Can this barrel be bored?

potatoheadman

I inherited a sporterized Chilen 1985 Mauser rifle. The problem is the barrel is stamped "308x1.5".
That is a wildcat practice load from what I can determine. I cannot locate any ammo. A standard length 308 cartridge will not fit in the chamber (too long)
Can this barrel be bored to a more conventional caliber for deer hunting? What would you suggest?

Thanks

i beleive this barrel can be rechambered to any cartridge that has a case head diameter common to the previous chambering,compatable length with the action,and compatable bore diameter. Any gunsmith worth his salt should be able to do it. Good luck

If I remember rightly, there is a guy on this site that does some extremely wonderful machine work. I can't remember who it was right off the top of my Hat...:laugh:

I believe that you mean 1895, not 1985. It can be rechambered, not rebored. The casehead size isn't that important, as the bolt can be modified to a bigger diameter, probable .308 Winchester. Though concieveably it could be chambered to any caliber that fires a .308 diameter bullet. The biggest limiting factor becomes how long the bolt throw is. Most mausers were chambered originally to fit 7 or 8 mm Mauser which is a little shorter than 30/06. Other than reaming the chamber, the barrell could be replaced with a completely different caliber of your choosing for a reasonable amount of money. The .308x1.5 is, however based on the .308 Winchester (which is 2.01 long), so it would be an easy mod. In itself it's not a BAD round. Actually pretty accurate and about same powder capacity and power as 7.62x39 (AK47). For about the same investment you could probably have a reloader make you up a few rounds or even buy a LEE loader kit and set of wildcat dies to form your own cases. But that is a whole other hobby.

i beleive this barrel can be rechambered to any cartridge that has a case head diameter common to the previous chambering,compatable length with the action,and compatable bore diameter. Any gunsmith worth his salt should be able to do it. Good luck

There is a bit more to consider than that. You must consider the operating chamber pressure of the cartridge. This was mentioned as a Chilean Mauser or model 1895. They are not quite as strong as the later Mauser 1898 models, and were not meant for some of the modern high intensity cartridges now made. Pressures were lower then, and this rifle is around 115 years old or so.

It all depends on the length of the action. Being basically a 308 short the action might be too short, however I doubt it is. The bolt will work and the chamber should be able to be reamed out to 308. Personally I'd rebarrel the receiver with a heavy barrel. The best thing to do is find a reputable gunsmith in your area and get his opinion.

Well stated gentlemen,I was not taking into account the age of this Mauser action. My mistake. But all in all,good advice.

Thanks for the information guys. For the money I'd have to invest in this rifle, I'd probably be better off buying a new rifle. I guess I'll just hang this one over the fireplace for now.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back